Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By Danny Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:56 am
washing up liquid by far is the easiest and quickest method
not too much luke warm water rinse under running tap till any bubbles
have disappeared avoid the label with the soap if you can
then grab t shirt 100% cotton
hold the record horizontal to your chest go round the record with the t shirt
with thumb and forefinger either side of the record in anti clock wise motion
till dry dab dry the label then give it a play

tried most everything else but this is the most effective least time consuming
and doesn't effect your health and costs next to nothing specially if you only
paid 50cents for the record
i have 15,000 records this method does the job.

spit also works as the enzymes can dissolves bits of food and boogers on the record
never tried dog slobber might be worth collecting :lol:

keep diggin y'all
By jibber Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am
hok-2 wrote:I've seen a method where you drip P.V.A glue onto the record while it's spinning and cover the whole thing, then let it dry & peel it off.
Apparently turns out sounding brand spanking new.
Bit hardcore eh? :lol:

jibber wrote:I've tried the wood glue method. It works very good, but it's also time consuming and not exactly cheap.

I cleaned 25 records (both sides) this past weekend. Time spent was about four hours in total. Including the new record sleeves (don't forget to get new sleeves if you clean your records), i spent roughly one Euro per record... thinking i got roughly 1'000 records, i gotta find something cheaper... however, the results are amazing... :o
By JVC Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:19 pm
I've been cleaning records with 3M microfiber clothes for dusty records, and washing records in sink for records that requires more serious cleaning.
Washing records require a lot of space and time, and I've been frustrated with it.

I was even considering to get record vacuum cleaner, which cheapest one would cost about 200 bucks. I cannot really buy such a expensive stuff for cleaning records, and I was looking for cheaper options.

Then this Spin-Clean Record Washer thing got my attention.

I've known about Spin Cleaner for long time, but somehow it didn't look like a serious product to me. But, reviews are generally favorable (I've researched this product a lot, there are so many reviews available on Internet and YouTube as well), so I decided to pull the trigger.

I have to say that I really like Spin Cleaner a lot. At first, I tried it with only records that I bought at flea market. Sound quality definitely improved.
Still I have to wipe record after the cleaning (so, a record vacuum cleaner would complement Spin Cleaner) but, result is better than the cleaning method I was doing, and it is much less messy, and much quicker to clean records!
I only use distilled water with Spin Clean. I use lukewarm distilled water. (One gallon of distilled water costs about 1 dollar or less.)
I even cleaned some of my new records (records that I bought as sealed records), those records now play without pops and clicks.
I think it should be cheaper than 70 bucks (regular retail price), but it's worth it.
I'm still thinking about making DIY record cleaner (easier to make than you might think), because I can use it with Spin Cleaner.
By wavejockey Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:38 am
vinegar destroys 99% of all household bacteria + washes away chalk/calcium rests

when cleaned, spray water on record when turning (on turntable) so a thin film is made = good conductivity...

(under water, sounds are transported better, further, louder...)
By JUKE 179r Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:54 am
JVC wrote:Then this Spin-Clean Record Washer thing got my attention.

I'M SOLD! :nod:
By JVC Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:38 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:
JVC wrote:Then this Spin-Clean Record Washer thing got my attention.

I'M SOLD! :nod:

Believe me, considering running cost (distilled water and a bit of Spin-Clean Record Washer fluid, which I usually use less than the suggested amount), and ease of use, this is the most cost effective vinyl cleaning method I know of.
I buy cheap used vinyls most of the time, and this thing is huge time saver, and unlike vacuum record cleaner, you can use it while you are listening to music (vacuum record cleaners do make loud noise!)
By monkiusz Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:36 pm
Here in Europe we have Knosti Disco Anti Static Record Cleaning Machine:

I use it with self-made cleaning mixture and it works great.
By abc Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:26 pm
Speaking of stylus brush, just copped one of these from Amazon.

It's washable, lasts a lifetime and doesn't wear out the stylus the same way a brush will.