Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fanu Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:51 pm
Does anyone know for sure where that thing is located?
Mine's blown; it's not the biggest deal in the world to wait a bit longer for the thing to start, but I'd love to replace it to make booting quicker. I know the part and I actually have it – it's just I'm not sure where it's located. I'm OK at soldering and have fixed plenty of stuff so replacing it wouldn't be a problem; just not sure where it is on the mobo.

Does anyone have any factual information on this? I couldn't find a service manual either.
By richie Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 pm
Could you post an macro shot of the area near the SCSI port inside?

In my personal experience - most of the Akai S series samplers employ the ICP N25 fuse. You should be able to notice it right away as its small and black, and stands upright, 2 pins. It will say N25 or N25r printed on the side of it.

If that is what you find, I suggest you replace it with a RUEF110 1.1A 30V Polyswitch resettable fuse. Unlike the N25 Akai used on all their stuff, a resettable fuse will likely never pop on you. If it trips, just restart the machine and everything is normal again. I've replaced the fuses on most of my S series samplers as I was tired of getting the searching for SCSI issue that happens when the fuse is popped.
By Fanu Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:22 pm
richie wrote:Could you post an macro shot of the area near the SCSI port inside?

In my personal experience - most of the Akai S series samplers employ the ICP N25 fuse. You should be able to notice it right away as its small and black, and stands upright, 2 pins. It will say N25 or N25r printed on the side of it.

If that is what you find, I suggest you replace it with a RUEF110 1.1A 30V Polyswitch resettable fuse. Unlike the N25 Akai used on all their stuff, a resettable fuse will likely never pop on you. If it trips, just restart the machine and everything is normal again. I've replaced the fuses on most of my S series samplers as I was tired of getting the searching for SCSI issue that happens when the fuse is popped.

Thanks man. I know how it's supposed to look and that on MPC300 and Akai s3000XL it's supposed to be labelled "f901" on the board, but I just can't find it! It definitely isn't on the small SCSI board with the DB25 connector. There's only one resistor on it and that's not burned.
I've tried looking everywhere but can't find that thing.
By Fanu Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:45 pm
I found a fuse that looks exactly like the described, F3, on the motherboard very close to where the actual SCSI board connects. I'm not an electricity expert, but I tested it for continuity, and I do get continuity (beep). Does that mean the fuse is ok?
By Fanu Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:35 pm
I checked the F3 fuse with a multimeter and it was letting everything thru, so I was guessing it was busted.
Replaced it, checked with multimeter that ratings were ok...
Still the same thing.
Phew.
I think I'll give up and let it be as it's been so far.
By richie Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:05 pm
The way I test fuses is switching the volt meter to ohm, if I get basically the same as what I get when I touch both leads together, then I pretty much know that the fuse is gone.

I could not find any pictures online of the S3200XL (If you can, please post an image so we can have it as reference for others) but if the board layout is like the S3000XL, then the fuse I suggested as replacement will work just fine. So just to confirm, you're still getting the SCSI message?