Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Metatron72 Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:05 am
Trust us. Match that spec your RAM will be $5-$10. Been confirmed by 100's if not 1000's of members here. Akai was just buying off the shelf modules and selling them at an insane markup.

There's no stability issue really. Either RAM works or it doesn't. But the spec I listed is the spec for the 5001000/2500. On eBay and other online vendors you can almost always read the spec sticker and buy knowing it will work following that posted spec.

All the RAM for these units whether the Akai marked up price gouge (the sticks are cheap Centron RAM I bet) or one you source are 256MB. Akai just puts 128MB on the sticker as that will be the usable and addressed amount. If you were to put a 128MB module in you'd get only 64MB. The way they designed the machines they only actually read half the module. Hence all maxed units are using 256MB modules.
By SimonInAustralia Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:20 am
Metatron72 wrote:Trust us. Match that spec your RAM will be $5-$10. Been confirmed by 100's if not 1000's of members here.

Yep.

Just search for MPC500 RAM on Google and you will get some that are being sold to match the MPC500 specs, probably for $10 + shipping, or search for others that match the specs and which are cheaper.

Or buy Akai branded RAM, which will probably cost more, but I don't think would make any difference in use.

Metatron72 wrote:Akai was just buying off the shelf modules and selling them at an insane markup

All the RAM for these units whether the Akai marked up price gouge (the sticks are cheap Centron RAM I bet) or one you source are 256MB. Akai just puts 128MB on the sticker as that will be the usable and addressed amount.

Not sure about that, I think that the Akai modules might be single sided, with 128MB on the side that the MPC addresses, and no RAM chips on the other side, versus the non-Akai RAM modules which are double sided, with 128MB on each side for a total of 256MB, and with the MPC only addressing 128MB on one side of a standard 256MB module.

But yes, they are functionally just standard computer memory modules, and the Akai branded modules are no different in operation to normal computer memory modules, when used in an MPC.
By fuzuku Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:53 pm
Thanks for clearing up the issue. Even tho I didn't read about any stability issues with non AKAI RAM cards, and boosting it up to 256MB, I wanted to make sure that those worked right (and specially for the 500), and the specs for them.

At the moment in my region I can't use eBay, but soon. So I guess I'll keep an eye open in the aforementioned on-line seller shop (where I got my MPC), or try to find 'em in local shops. Maybe if their not selling nowadays (computers using like up to 4/8 per slot gigs in RAM) they have 'em stored somewhere. Even tho carrying my MPC in the city to try them at stores I think it might not be a good idea.
By Metatron72 Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:23 pm
Yeah, it's standard old notebook RAM. So local shops almost have some. But as I mentioned the independent/repair type stores, not the mainstream chain stores. This RAM spec is like 2002-2007 tech.

Even if you don't bring the MPC. Just have that spec listing handy.
By fuzuku Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:18 pm
Sure thing. There are not many independent computer stores open nowadays, but there are like places (stores with spaces for the tech guy, not many) where they fix computers and phones and repair 'em and sell other stuff, like headphones and cables and that sort of thing. Probably they will have it there. But I am not so sure, been the rams from 2007. Knowing how people work here probably they did clearance or threw them out for many reasons (people not buying them). But definitively one or other store/shop/fixing tech guy must have it.
By fuzuku Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:01 pm
Thanks guys. I'll write down the specs/description of the RAM and when I get a chance to go on eBay or other seller I'll try and get that one or a 256 which I know will work.

The MPC is going smooth and has absolutely no issue. Like brand new. Anytime now I'll be reseting it to factory settings, and tapping in my own. (pad curves, count-ins, sound clicks, recording threshold etc)
By fuzuku Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:04 pm
Hi guys. I haven't been able to buy a ac adapter (no negative ti ones in the market), the one im using turns on and off, so I haven't been using my MPC that much...

But I found 4 RAM cards that can speed up this process. If I ask the vendors if they match my specifications, they will say yes. So do you guys know if any of these RAM cards works with the MPC500? Much Appreciated.

1- 256mb 144 Pin Laptop Kingston Ktd-insp7500/256 PC100 SODIMM

128MB 166 Pin Micro MT8LSDT166HG-133B3

SON MADE IN USA

2- Ram memory for Laptop Pc-133 256mb Sodimm

They're super cheap and just popped up at the web store. Which key questions should I ask?
By fuzuku Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:51 pm
One of them seems to fit the specs perfectly, heres a pic. Anyone who can corroborate this? Thanks.

The brand is Centon Electronics

By fuzuku Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:43 am
It's the only one thats popped up in months. I can't find anywhere for sure if its a CL3, and over here the prize its 400% more expensive than in other places, :WTF: if it were 3 bucks I'd already would have bought it. :popcorn:

Anyone can weight in with his opinion of the matter at hand? is it a CL3 fo sho?

Thanks!
By Doc Skills Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:31 am
Hi there.... Could someone clear me up about the upgrades on RAM card & Compact flash memory used on MPC 500..... .....my question is: can i use 512mg SDRAM , also up than 2 Gbs for the Flash menory card, instead the 128 Mb SDRAM and the maximum recommended 2 Gbs Flash memory card ? ........really appreciate if u guys put a lil ilght on this for me.....ThnXxx*
By MPC-Tutor Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:44 am
Doc Skills wrote:Hi there.... Could someone clear me up about the upgrades on RAM card & Compact flash memory used on MPC 500..... .....my question is: can i use 512mg SDRAM , also up than 2 Gbs for the Flash menory card, instead the 128 Mb SDRAM and the maximum recommended 2 Gbs Flash memory card ? ........really appreciate if u guys put a lil ilght on this for me.....ThnXxx*

Not sure how much more clearing up the RAM issue needs, it's all black and white in this topic and many others. If you are getting computer RAM you need 256MB, but only 128MB is recognised. That's it, no more is possible.

As for flash memory, you can see the latest 2500/1000/500 recommendations in the sticky:

viewtopic.php?t=26775
By Doc Skills Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:01 pm
Hey thanx for the quick reply bud..... So yep i went to the discussion page u've recommended and i've got ur point very clear, rite on time 'coz i was thinking about to get the 512mb RAM card, so u probably save my ass to mess up after all .... Will look for the 256mb RAM..... Appreciate ur help.....Peace!!!!!