Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Spod Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 am
Hey,

I've been trying to get my Linndrum (unmodified) to sync up with my MPC3000 to no avail. It's just through the original Sync In & Out jacks, and I don't want to add midi or anything, I just want the Linndrum to play along in time with my 3000 so I can write using it's internal sequencer alongside my MPC.

I had this working with Logic and the MPC pretty well with a plug in, but want to take this out of the box. I love writing beats in the Linndrum & sequencing my synths with my MPC, so this would be a dream.

I have an SBX-1 which can't do this, which sucks. Spoken to Roland a tonne about it, but it can't be done. So i'm looking at any other options to get this sync locked up.

Thanks guys
By vout Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:56 pm
You could sample the Linndrum clock signal in the 3000 (say a 1 bar loop) and use the sample to lock the Linndrum to the 3000 - this would only work for a fixed tempo, but I think it is the only way you could do it without a sync converter of some sort. Actually you could sample a single clock tick and trigger it at maximum resolution (96 I think in the 3000) to give you a half-tempo clock sync with the Linn (192 sync resolution)
By Horseclick Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:28 pm
Spod wrote:Hey,

I've been trying to get my Linndrum (unmodified) to sync up with my MPC3000 to no avail. It's just through the original Sync In & Out jacks, and I don't want to add midi or anything, I just want the Linndrum to play along in time with my 3000 so I can write using it's internal sequencer alongside my MPC.

I had this working with Logic and the MPC pretty well with a plug in, but want to take this out of the box. I love writing beats in the Linndrum & sequencing my synths with my MPC, so this would be a dream.

I have an SBX-1 which can't do this, which sucks. Spoken to Roland a tonne about it, but it can't be done. So i'm looking at any other options to get this sync locked up.

Thanks guys

so you connected the mpcs sync out into your linndrum and prerssed ext sync? and it dont sync?
By vout Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:55 pm
MPC 3000 sync is not compatible with Linndrum sync unfortunately - MPC sync options are FSK 24 (complex tone signal) or 1 clock per beat. Linndrum is 48 PPQN square wave.
By Spod Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:30 am
vout wrote:You could sample the Linndrum clock signal in the 3000 (say a 1 bar loop) and use the sample to lock the Linndrum to the 3000 - this would only work for a fixed tempo, but I think it is the only way you could do it without a sync converter of some sort. Actually you could sample a single clock tick and trigger it at maximum resolution (96 I think in the 3000) to give you a half-tempo clock sync with the Linn (192 sync resolution)

Ah right, well i've got the Vailexi OS so I can run it at 1/192 but you can't do the auto drumroll past 1/64. It's kind of syncing the linndrum, but not exactly locking it.

I'm open to buying a dedicated sync box to do it, just as long as it's the right one, because the SBX-1 isn't.
By vout Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:44 am
It's a bit tricky - most of the current sync boxes (sync-gen etc) are designed for syncing old gear to DAW's or Midi. You would need something like an old Korg KMS-30 or Roland SBX-10 to do what you need, even then you would need custom din to jack cables. There was a device made by Garfield for exactly this purpose - the FSK Adapter, but good luck finding one of those now.

I still think your best bet is just to sample the Linndrum timecode - make a folder of one bar length samples (one for each tempo you need). This should give you the tightest possible way of syncing the two devices, as there is no conversion or processing involved that could introduce latency or jitter, which could happen with any stand-alone converter box.
By Spod Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:56 am
Yeah, the Garfield FSK seems like the best, most flexible solution but they're rare. One sold near me last December for $100. Bummer!

I did have the SBX-1 syncing the Linndrum but it wouldn't start or stop in time with anything, but just send constant clock which wasn't useable. The sampling route is annoying but will at least hopefully be a decent solution for now.

I wish someone could just make a small midi to linn box to sync this thing
By vout Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:47 pm
I don't have an SBX-1 but from what I understand of its functionality it should be possible to sync the 3000 and LinnDrum using this box, with a custom din to 2 x jack cable to break out the clock and stop/start signal from the din sync output. Din sync pinout is pin-1 start/stop, pin-2 ground, pin-3 clock, the other pins have other functions but are not needed here. You should be able to use either the MPC or the SBX-1 as the master clock, depending on how it is connected.

I need to dig out my LinnDrum and check this out myself with the 3K, I've got a midi/din sync converter somewhere...
By Shostakovich Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:09 am
Am I missing something? A simple CV/MIDI box will let you sync it. I used to run a Linndrum from the MPC3000 this way. A Kenton Pro Solo or similar will do.
By vout Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:16 pm
Yes, there are a number of solutions to convert midi to sync, but the OP was originally looking for a way to sync the two units directly using the sync sockets without any additional hardware. This is not possible unfortunately.
By Shostakovich Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:57 am
but the OP was originally looking for a way to sync the two units directly using the sync sockets without any additional hardware

So i'm looking at any other options to get this sync locked up.

Your only sane option is to use a converter box. You can try and go down that road of sampling timecode etc but why allocate resources away from the MPC? Seems not only daft, considering the alternative, but highly inefficient. YMMV.
By dshook Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:15 am
Sample the LD sync tone into the daw and chop a single cycle. Either midi dump it back to the 3000 or use a CF to transfer it if you're on Vailixi (or a floppy with RS16 etc). Then sit there in STEP EDIT / QUANTIZE OFF / FULL LEVEL and put one on every second tick (48ppq), save that sequence and sound, and copy and paste it on its own track next to the rest of your samples coming out of its own dedicated output. Adjust the level of that output to get the most reliable sync. If it works you can change the tempo and it'll follow. Worth a try..
By Spod Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:41 pm
I found that the Forat Midi kit adds in song pointer position, so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go that route. Maybe make a breakout box so I don't need to drill holes into the case or wooden ends. Thanks guys.