The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By meatybeats Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:57 am
I finally customised my 2kxl and got it looking just the way I wanted it. 8 outs, white TFPs, white buttons, wood sides and a super dope rising sun skin. Or so I thought. You see, while I knew that the Japanese were pretty brutal during WW2, I was unaware of the full significance of the rising sun emblem throughout the rest of Asia. I knew It from my Christian Hosoi deck from the 80s (the image was very popular then) and the Karate Kid and the bandannas people used to wear but in Asia (apart from Japan) it carries with it the same connotations that the swastika does in the west. I learned this after posting a pic in the Akai MPC FB group. The response was hugely positive but there were several very pissed off South Koreans and a guy from Taiwan (who was actually a bit of a jerk). I left it up for a while and things degenerated and it all got a bit ugly so I deleted the image. Anyway, I'll post it here for people to tell me what they think. I'll probably rip it off and go back to the drawing board as I'm not at all in favour of fascism or war crimes.

Regards
Meaty

By Living Bate Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:37 am
meatybeats wrote:. I'll probably rip it off and go back to the drawing board as I'm not at all in favour of fascism or war crimes.

that's a shame, but I don't blame you..... I think it looks really nice......although slightly more lairy than to my taste

I also was not aware of the symbols connotations....although I was aware of the atrocities...such as Unit 731...

By abc Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:45 am
Have you done any other research into it? Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong, but I wouldn't take their word for it. Especially with an MPC that looks as crazy as that. People on Facebook tend to blow things out pf proportion. There's Buddhist temples all over Asia with swastikas. It meant something before the Nazi's took it and in the proper context, still represents something other than fascism & genocide.
By tapedeck Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:15 pm
meatybeats wrote:...there were several very pissed off South Koreans and a guy from Taiwan (who was actually a bit of a jerk)

not on MY internet?!!? :mrgreen:

it looks good - i'd not worry too much about it. people are ideots.

what is the graphic anyway, a styleflip?
By meatybeats Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:36 pm
@tapedeck Thanks, yeah it is a styleflip graphic.

@abc Thanks. Yes I did some research. I already knew about the Nanking massacre (the anniversary just happened) which was truly horrible and other terrible stuff but I didn't know about unit 731 (as Living Bate mentioned above) which is where they did medical experiments on other Asian races until I looked into. They had the current flag back then as well but the rising sun with the rays was the military emblem. The first person to comment on FB posted a pic of it hanging next to the swastika with a bunch of Japanese and German soldiers sitting beneath it.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:39 am
tapedeck wrote:...it looks good - i'd not worry too much about it. people are ideots.

I agree..

I c wut u did thar. :lol:
By Dan L Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:21 am
People are triggered so so easy. That MPC looks dope. I wouldn't change it because some people get their FEELS hurt.

St8 up ideots 4 shore.
By Funkydrops Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 pm
Dope as ****.

Italian here, Japan's fine with me thou... :wink: :lol:
By LUGOD83 Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:04 pm
The rising sun means different things for different people. As you mentioned, Daniel San wore the logo on his headband. It's also considered like an unofficial flag, some people even posted some examples of other places it's featured like the immortal street fighter 2 turbo. It's not the same as a swastiki.
By Lampdog Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:48 am
Dan L wrote:St8 up ideots 4 shore.

I c wut u did thar.....
Ahhahha.

Yes, it IS true that the symbol represents a time when Japan was not as friendly as today and history shows that.

I too am cool with the Japan of today. Most older Japanese people I know are embarrassed by they way things used to be when they were younger. I tell them, "you lived through it, we are here now, no sorry needed as it wasn't you and it wasn't me so lets drink and eat some stuff together!"
By ThobRom Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:53 am
I would destroy it with a sledgehammer and post it on youtube as an expression of your support for tolerance and intolerance of intolerance.

Becasue intolerance makes people violent,
and violence shouldn't be tolerated.