Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By B_dy.G_p Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 pm
Hey yall. I just acquired a new (to me) MPC2000xl. I am having some trouble figuring out how to get it to activate properly. When I turn it on with no disc inserted, the screen says "Insert MPC2000xl Disc!". However when I turn the unit on with an SD card inserted with the MPC OS file loaded onto it (MPC2KXL.BIN.cpgz), the screen on the MPC just says "MPC2000XL" and does not respond to any button presses, cursing at it, etc. I cannot get it to get past this state so that i can start using it. Is my OS file wrong? Is there some key combination i need to preform to initialize the program? Thoughts?
By tapedeck Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:48 pm
the file should be mp2kxl.bin - and that should really only be needed once to install the os.

the fact that is says .cpgz sounds like it is a compressed file...what happens if you just open that file on a mac?

try this file: http://www.mpc-tutor.com/files/mpc-os/m ... os_120.zip

unzip that file, then put the unzipped file on an sd-card, then try to boot it up.
By B_dy.G_p Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:00 pm
Tried that, didnt work. The 2GB SD card now only contains the unzipped "MPC2KXL.BIN" file. Still just stuck with the same "MPC2000XL" screen.
By richie Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:51 am
I believe that screen comes up when the actual flash on the motherboard is corrupted. In your case, it won't be able to read the sd card with no OS to tell it how to use the ATAPI SD card reader.

You'd basically need to send the board to someone that has a floppy drive compatible with the XL and have them save the bin file to the floppy, and of course hope the board reads it and reflashes the board.