Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By belzrebuth Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:44 am
Hi all,
I just got an MPC 2K from a friend that used to work fine.
Friend complained that suddenly the MPC stopped responding and displayed the classic symptom where the screen lights up but displays nothing and all leds on the top board lit,floppy led is also constantly on.

I've just checked the power supply and the 5V gives about 64ohm resistance to ground.
Is this normal?
Voltages are correct but I'm worried about the low resistance to ground which is persistent btw so that's not an intermittent short.
Low voltage caps look okay but I haven't lifted the power supply to check it thoroughly.
12V and -12V (I guess these are for the op-amps) are about 340-350 Ohm to GND.

I tried unplugging the top board,the screen inverter board,the floppy,reseating roms but I get nothing on the screen.
No expansions are installed.
The two simm slots are unpopulated so I guess there must be on-board memory somewhere else.
I don't have any schematics and I'm totally unfamiliar with this machine so any clue would be of value.

Here is a link to pictures showing what's going on with the power supply:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/30jy2kzrzij1 ... M1T9a?dl=0
Last edited by belzrebuth on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By belzrebuth Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:48 am
One other thing that seems out of the ordinary (besides the burn mark on the screen ) is that the high voltage cap on the inverter lcd backlight board gives me 0ohms across its legs which indicates that is probably shorted.
But when disconnecting the inverter board from the motherboard I still get low resistance to ground on all the voltages.
Turning on the machine with no backlight and messing with the LCD contrast doesn't seem to help.
By J.nabeats Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:16 am
:nod:
belzrebuth wrote:Hi all,
I just got an MPC 2K from a friend that used to work fine.
Friend complained that suddenly the MPC stopped responding and displayed the classic symptom where the screen lights up but displays nothing and all leds on the top board lit,floppy led is also constantly on.

I've just checked the power supply and the 5V gives about 64ohm resistance to ground.
Is this normal?
Voltages are correct but I'm worried about the low resistance to ground which is persistent btw so that's not an intermittent short.
Low voltage caps look okay but I haven't lifted the power supply to check it thoroughly.
12V and -12V (I guess these are for the op-amps) are about 340-350 Ohm to GND.

I tried unplugging the top board,the screen inverter board,the floppy,reseating roms but I get nothing on the screen.
No expansions are installed.
The two simm slots are unpopulated so I guess there must be on-board memory somewhere else.
I don't have any schematics and I'm totally unfamiliar with this machine so any clue would be of value.

Here is a link to pictures showing what's going on with the power supply:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/30jy2kzrzij1 ... M1T9a?dl=0

I'm having a problem with my MPC 2000 XL can you point me in a direction with somebody that knows how to fix them I tried to change the floppy drive and all the lights are on and the screen is blank it won't let me do nothing it's frozen I went on MPC forum other people have the same problem but they never reply back on how to fix it .... Did anyone figure this problem out :?:
By Wal Martian Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:59 pm
J.nabeats wrote:I'm having a problem with my MPC 2000 XL can you point me in a direction with somebody that knows how to fix them I tried to change the floppy drive and all the lights are on and the screen is blank it won't let me do nothing it's frozen

You will probably need a floppy disk with the OS file to reload it to the internal ROM