New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By johnsmith87 Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm
Hey guys

New to the forum so please be gentle...

Brief Background: I've been a massive Hip Hop fan since the 90's and have been talking to friends and family about getting an MPC for about a decade (Preemo, Dilla and Pete Rock are my favourite producers so it makes sense..) To cut a long story short I was recently given an MPC Touch and a second hand Akai MPK Mini Laptop Production Keyboard and although my initial reaction was 'this is amazing' my following feeling was 'now what?'

I guess I'm just confused as to what else I need to get started. I've already learned quite a bit about MPC's thanks to this forum, but it's quite hard to decipher what software/hardware I NEED and what software/hardware I should be getting if cost was no object.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will need a new laptop (Mac Pro probably), but after that the lines are blurred. I assumed to get started I just needed a turntable and some speakers, but I keep hearing contradictory things about what specs are required etc.

Hardware:
What sort of turntable do I need (any specific aux cables, plugins to look out for etc)
What sort of Speakers should I be looking for to get the best sound (at a budget!). I hear Rokit's are good?
Am I missing anything else that I need to get up and running? Maybe I need a soundcard or maybe it's not necessary for a beginner?

Software:
Do people just use MPC software? Again, when experienced i'll be able to shell out on Logic or something, but I'm not sure I need it when starting out.

Any help on this would be much appreciated guys/girls.

Thanks so much and glad to be a part of this forum :)
By Living Bate Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:47 pm
johnsmith87 wrote:
Do people just use MPC software?

the MPC software alone will do you fine for a very long time.....

in terms of hardware I wouldn't rush out and spend a load on an expensive turntable or speakers just yet....(unless ya loaded of course).....

just get yourself up and running for now....
By johnsmith87 Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:10 pm
Living Bate wrote:
johnsmith87 wrote:
Do people just use MPC software?

the MPC software alone will do you fine for a very long time.....

in terms of hardware I wouldn't rush out and spend a load on an expensive turntable or speakers just yet....(unless ya loaded of course).....

just get yourself up and running for now....

Haha I like the way you think, mate!

So I can buy any turntable/speakers and all will be compatible?

Thanks!
By Living Bate Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:39 pm
I have a Renaissance which has a direct phono connection (with grounding).....but I think the Touch requires amplification. So you will either need a turntable with amplification built in or a DJ mixer to run it through first.

In terms of speakers I think for the time being just get something to get you started. Good monitors will only really become important once you are half decent using an MPC.....which could be ages.....
By johnsmith87 Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:41 pm
Cheers mate.

So...done a bit more research and I think I have the setup I want:

Imac (second hand, 27 inch, 2013 model - 8gb)

A turntable with USB, such as this one..If i've got this wrong then please let me know:
http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lig ... GwodbIwOBA

Rokit G3's (White)...Looking at this page it seems they have 3 different sets at varying prices that appear to meet the same spec. Naturally i've gone for the cheapest ones....http://www.thediscdjstore.com/krk-rokit ... 0wodS8AFFA

If anyone can confirm this is all i'll need/know if anyway I can save money on this, then that would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
By Living Bate Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:57 pm
I cant really vouch for the computer...I'm generally wary of second hand laptops and zhit myself though.....but as long as its stable and meets the Touch requirements for running the software I'm sure it will be fine....

Turntable should be fine....although I haven't had any direct contact with that particular turntable.

I can vouch for the speakers as they are the speakers I own.

I think you should be good to go!......good luck....
By johnsmith87 Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:39 pm
Cheers for the help, mate...

Last question (promise) - I'm trying to get these speakers and it's asking me which cables I need to add to the pack...Not a clue which one to select e.g. 3m Jack to XLRm? 6m Jack to jack? Here's the link to the options http://www.thediscdjstore.com/krk-rokit ... 0wodPv0C9A:

I have currently have:
iMac
Numark TTUSB
MPC Touch
Akai Laptop Keyboard

Sorry for the questions and thanks for the help