Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By mr_debauch Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:36 am
Interesting video i came across showing a setup in a studio that uses the 8800 as a master sequencer with a dozen or so synths and all through a midi routing system that runs over ethernet. kind of interesting, and you can't deny that the dude is using the 8800 to a fuller potential than pretty much anyone else on the planet.. hahaha. i wonder what the guy would have done if someone gave him an mpc 4000

By tapedeck Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:07 pm
wow that is pretty insane setup. as much as i like my youtubes in 2minutes or less, i really appreciate how thorough and obviously knowledgeable this dude is.

there is something strangely calming about leaving this video on in the background.
By Wormhelmet Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:01 pm
I'm doing 10 hardware synths with regular midi thru boxes and my MV8800 as master sequencer. Same thing with using a template for them. I like being able to hook the 19" monitor and mouse up to it. I haven't found a sampler with better midi implementation. It has the midi implementation that I wished could be as easy in Ableton Live, but nothing is easier to me for sequencing hardware synths. I love this bad boy sampler even though sample preview can be a little slower than PC previewing. Just wish putting a skin on these things was easier.

By Wormhelmet Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:35 pm
richie wrote:I'm curious of the latency difference between direct midi vs the MLAN integration.

Direct midi has no noticeable latency if using powered thru boxes. I also keep midi cables to 10 ft or less which is easy to do with powered thru boxes. I have Kenton 5 out powered thru boxes and one passive 4 out that connects after a powered midi thru on my rackmount dual fx unit. Also my doepfer midi to cv converter is powered.

Have not experienced the noticeable latency, but I also usually do not have more than about 8 tracks plus sampler instruments to cover drums and one shot samples like vocals/sound fx etc.

Timing on the mv is pretty tight. My Novation KS4 as master keyboard feels great playing on any track I highlight. Feels equivalent to vst response in Ableton with ASIO drivers when I was using Ableton with PC. I'm not a great keyboard player, but have messed around with keys for 15 years, so I can get by and I know when I feel sluggish response.

Nothing feels sluggish with my setup.
By Wormhelmet Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:30 am
Re-read the specs on the Kenton 1 in, 5 out, midi thru box. It has active power at all midi thru sockets. Clean midi to devices

Unboxed the brand new MV8800 today. Powered it on and tested outputs, boot up, checked version of OS (shipped with 1.01), made sure controls all worked. Like a timewarp opening up a ten year discontinued product as new. I put back in the box for now. I had previously requested all software and patches/songs/samples from Roland which they sent me for my first mv8800. I have a brand new ps2 mouse already, power cord, and all manuals in pdf in my iBooks library, so the accessories pack will remain with all unopened, unused original content.

Tomorrow I add the ssd drive, RAM, fat pads, and my samples. I almost just want to upgrade it all and put it back in the box. The box had no dings or dents in it too.

By mr_debauch Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:41 pm
oh.. have you ever tried the fat MV pads? when mpc stuff first made the MPC ones... i acquired a set of the 2000 sized ones... totally crap. I tried it on the 2000 and an mpd.. it was worse than the stock pads. I didn't have the nerve to try them in the 60. I was given them by someone who bought them and hated them so badly they shipped them to me for free from 5000 miles away... I sent the person an original akai set of black pads in return but and stuck with fat pads on an mpd now :/ ...

i thought i read that the classic 4x4 series (for the 2000 etc) are not the same now and are better... the ones i have are very stiff and reduce sensitivity entirely.
By Wormhelmet Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:20 pm
mr_debauch wrote:oh.. have you ever tried the fat MV pads? when mpc stuff first made the MPC ones... i acquired a set of the 2000 sized ones... totally ****. I tried it on the 2000 and an mpd.. it was worse than the stock pads. I didn't have the nerve to try them in the 60. I was given them by someone who bought them and hated them so badly they shipped them to me for free from 5000 miles away... I sent the person an original akai set of black pads in return but and stuck with fat pads on an mpd now :/ ...

i thought i read that the classic 4x4 series (for the 2000 etc) are not the same now and are better... the ones i have are very stiff and reduce sensitivity entirely.

The first MV I have (with black skin on it pictured a few posts up) has the MV fat pads in blue. They were an improvement over the stock pads. Very sensitive. As good as my padKontrol. That MV was used though. This new one might be fine with stock pads. Have to try out either way to see which has the better feel. I'm no super finger drummer though. I do alright for how long I have been using a 4x4 grid. First 4x4 was a padKontrol about 5 or 6 years back.
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:05 am
the sensor board from roland (for the 8000... maybe it is the same part on the 8800) is really cheap... i think like 20 bucks or something... i replaced mine i think 2 or 3 years ago.. im still at pretty much new on that.

let me know your A/B comparison.. im curious.
By Wormhelmet Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:37 am
Just a heads up - someone revived MVNation. Some nice patch links in there and links to S700 cd iso's

Fat pads vs new mv8800 pads = not much difference in feel. Kept the fat pads in because I like the black pads on this new one and like the extra height on the fat pads. Its not much, but already used to fat pads from my first mv.