New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.

Which One?

14%
14%
14%
N/A
N/A
N/A
43%
N/A
N/A
14%
By Saukar30 Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:22 pm
What up. I'm new and I'm trying to decide what to get.

I've been making music for a couple of decades and have never owned a true sampler. Most of my work has been done in software, except for earlier on with a BR-8, Yamaha DJX, Boss DR-5 & Boss DR660. Currently, I'm working with an EMU MK7 & A Guitar along with my main computer. I have Reaper, Orion, Phrazor, FL Studio & LOTS of VSTs (Komplete 9, Addictive Drums, Dune 2, Tal Sampler, Synthmaster, Vanguard,Xpand2, Z3ta, Transfuser 2, Dimension pro, UVI Workstation with a few libraries, Sampletank & all of the expansions, Synth1 of course, etc etc etc).

I'm getting up there in age with not a lot of time to work on music as much and I'm really missing the hardware flow & sound. It's completely different than working with computers in which I have so many options and spend most of my time tweaking so many little intricacies. I;m looking o get an MPC... maybe. With the coming of the new MPC X & Live.. I'm thinking maybe is the time for a sampler. There are lots of options so I would like a recommendation from those who knwo the best, please.

What are my goals?:

A. Sequencing: Sequencing beats on hardware feels better. I would like at least 16 tracks & be able to switch patterns by pads or by MIDI.
B. BASIC sample editing: I don't need or want tons of options. I have tons of great sounds from over the years ad I figure the best way to use them is to keep things simple. Maybe some basic layering, 1/2 lfos, start/end time modulations, chops (more than 16...at least 81), assign chops to individual notes or pads, edit each chop individually (ASDR), panning, mono/legato, reverse
C. GOOD Sound: I'm looking for character, not anything clinical.
D. FAST loading. Again, I'm not looking for a crazy amount of sample memory, just enough for some basic chopping & some drum kits. I would like tot be able to load my kits into memory & switch between them by MIDI.
E. MIDI IN/OUT/THRU
F. DOESN'T NEED A LOT OF EXTRAS: I'm not trying to buy a whole mess of extra things to get it up to spec. I really just want everything to be mostly set out the box. If the JJ-OS's come to mind, that;s ok, but hat's kind fo my limit. Again... I'm working on time here.
G. STABLE: Hell, this should probably be #1. Frequent crashes & everything are not what I'm after. This is pretty much gonna be like my hardware MIDI/sometimes sampling for flavor centerpiece.
H. External memory: Like a USB Flash Drive or SD Card. Something removable
I. GREAT Feel. I had an MPD218 and I LOVED the feel of those pads. On the other hand I also had a MPK61 and hated the keys on there.
J. EFFECTS: Flexibility, good sounding, able to be modulated by the sequencer

I have a few choices narrowed down:

BTW I have a laptop along with my main computer. I'm looking to possibly get rid of this and get something like a Boss BR-1600 or Roland VS2480 to do some track recording (unless of course the Maschine is a good suggestion). I do all kinds of music, Hip-Hop, Jazz, R&B, Funk, sometimes a little rock& roll. So I'm looking for something that will be good in all situations to enhance what I already do. I do NOT want to buy more DAWS (No Ableton or Cubase, already have FL Studio as well) as I'm sick of buying all of these programs. I tried MPC Essentials with my MPD218 I had and it was ok, but you cant use the Next Sequence mode in the MPD controllers. I would consider Maschine only because I hear it's pretty stable, but the sequencing HAS to be hardware like. Also.. I'm not thinking about buying anything until the end of the summer... so I'm not rushing.

Thanks! I know this is a lot for a 1st post, but I've been waiting for this for some time and I'm pretty undecided.
By Ill-Green Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:21 pm
Not for nothing, but what you described sounds like the MV8800. Though an MPC1000 or 2500 with JJOS would fit your description too.

With MV you can place patterns on all 16 pads and play one at a time, one pad will cut off the other. It has 8 audio tracks and 128 MIDI tracks. Its a beast of a machine when it comes to being master in a MIDI set-up, in fact there is a vid of the MV controlling a room of keyboards and synth using LAN connections, it was crazy.
By Living Bate Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 am
as you are coming from a software background I'd personally suggest something that offers hardware & software......probably the Live....

but a Ren / Touch / Live / X would all probably suit pretty well.....
By Saukar30 Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:48 pm
Thanks for all of the suggestions!
@Lampdog Thanks. As far as my own homework, for not having an MPC, I have always had my eye on them, so I know which one is which and a lot of the intricacies about them. However, I haven't used one as there are none around me (pretty much ever) & no one in my vicinity even uses hardware like that. Mostly anyone I know is on there software hustle. A friend of mine that I worked with about 16 years ago had a MPC2000XL, from which I learned mostly everything from. So, from here on, I can only go on personal suggestions with people who have used them (taking into consideration that opinions are varied). I would be glad for any insight you give as you are a Supreme Moderator here.

@Ill Green Thanks as well. The only thing that gets me about the MVs are there are no XL inputs for mics & that sucker is huge. However, I have been strongly considering an MV since I hear so much good about it & I'm super fond of Roland FX!!!

@Living Bate The X & the Live are REALLY what urged me to strongly consider getting a separate sequencer. Because they are new (& hasn't came out as of yet) I'm still on the fence about them. The Live is a little more reasonable for me to achieve, but my main concern is will I be able to use Insert FX on the input when recording, how many & what do they sound like. I had the Essentials program for awhile and tried out the effects that were already included, but they didn't strike me as anything I would use. If the Live or the X are offering something more in the lines of the Air FX, I may be more inclined to use it. However, this is the part that the MV kills AKAI on in my opinion. FX are a big part of my workflow and I like to use a lot. It would be no problem in the software as I have VSTs, but good FX on the hardware would make me definitely choose a Live hands down. Another concern is how the converters sound. I'm looking for something has a distinct character, and not too clinical (not like terrible bit shpaing & sample reduction, but actual character). The Ren & Touch are great too, but I really don't want to be connected to the computer.

@Wal Martian I didn't know the 2000XL could take JJOS. I'll have to research. That might make that an option, even though it's limited. I LOVE the way it sequences. A 4000 would be nice too. They are kind of hard to find though as I think that is the one everyone hold dear. Definitely my strong 3rd option. And I haven't even checked on the 3000 either. Again... more research on ym end... and if I can even find any of a reasonable price LOL.
By Ian Canefire Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:48 pm
Peace Bro and welcome to the forum. This place is invaluable.

As the owner of a Roland VS2480 and the Akai MPC 4000 all I can say is that I am near perfection in my studio.
I teach audio production and how to use the MPC4000 and I also record bands, singers and such. There have been no unsatisfied customers.

The price drop in the Roland digital recorder is to the benefit of the shrewd musician. Lesser devices have won Grammy awards. You can record at 24bit 96khz with the vs2480 and the MPC 4000 can work in that range as well. I could go on and on about the benefits of using these two devices together. I just figured out that I could replace the internal IDE drive in the VS2480 and use a SSD SATA drive that is 120gig. So now I am future proofed.

I know two other producer / studio owners in the Washington DC area who used to own VS2480s and they switched to ProTools. Whenever we get together they always say they miss the sound of the VS2480 using MTP (which is the Roland compression). It gives a texture to the sound. Some aren't crazy about it though and just use 24 bit 96khz (excellent), 24 bit 48khz (great), 24bit 44.1 (better), 16bit 48khz(good), 16bit 44.1khz (okay).

If you have a mic pre I suggest you use that with a VS2480, then they really shine. The stock pres on the vs2480 are average.

Peace
Ian

PS " Also consider a Roland Fantom S or X, if interested in the MV. The sequencer in the fantom S and X is very similar to the MV. In fact it is easier to use. I own a fantom S and I think I have the trifecta (Fantom S, Akai MPC4000 and VS2480)
By Lampdog Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:54 am
I'm supreme at nothing, lol, I didn't put the title there.

I would choose 2500 w/ jj as first choice if I had to start from the beginning.
Second choice would be 4k.
Third would be, idk.

2k/2kxl cannot use jj though.
By Wal Martian Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 am
Lampdog wrote:

I don't know why I confuse it d'oh I helped my friend get jj on his 2500 years ago and I remember it as an xl. I even use an 2000xl now as my main machine. 3K is nice cause it has a great groove, great sound and 4 MIDI outs like the 4000. With all that software you're already using even a Maschine studio would be good.
By distortedtekno Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:49 am
Wal Martian wrote:
Lampdog wrote:

I don't know why I confuse it d'oh I helped my friend get jj on his 2500 years ago and I remember it as an xl. I even use an 2000xl now as my main machine. 3K is nice cause it has a great groove, great sound and 4 MIDI outs like the 4000. With all that software you're already using even a Maschine studio would be good.

The confusion comes from when JJ decided to name one of the versions "JJ OS2XL". It confused more than a few people, especially 2000XL owners. I'm sure he got a good amount of emails from all the confusion it caused.