Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Ian Canefire Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:06 pm
Hi Everyone,
Four questions I have been pondering.

How many (actual or estimated) MPC4000 units were manufactured? (10,000, 5000, 2000, 1000)

What percentage of MPC4000 owners are actually using their units with their productions nowadays versus just owning the units with them sitting in a studio corner?

Are any new old stock MPC4000 units available?

How many professionals do you think are still using it? Not hobby musicians, or people with other jobs. I am talking DJs, or artists who are selling over 10,000 copies of physical products in the last 3 years or people with 1,000,000 followers, or production studios that have made at least one hit recording.

Any ideas?
I know one production duo who abandoned the mpc4000 around 5 years ago. Mind you I get it that this doesn't mean the 4000 is irrelevant. A hobbyist or "non pro" can make a hit record, its happened and has been happening.

Cheers
Ian
By MPC-Tutor Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:43 pm
No idea other than I can tell you that when we offered a 'Choose Format' option on our sounds, the MPC4000 format barely ever sold. But that might just mean that 4000 owners don't tend to buy samples... I still make 4000 format as the AKPs can be used in many different samplers, but the active 4000 market is IMO very small.
By Mike Boogie Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 pm
Thank you Tutor for continuing to make kits in 4000 format. The 4k is too dope to get lost in the shuffle.

My 4000 is semi-retired, but it still gets a nice shake when I hammer out sketches.
By Fanu Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 pm
Semi offtopic, but I guess 4K never gained the fame that other MPCs did because it came out roughly when computers started taking over.
All other MPCs before were more of "a must" for a serious producer as computer were slow, expensive, and clunky, but the computer revolution probably started around the time when 4K came out.
This is not to say it's not a great machine; it's probably a bit underrated and also slightly unknown in the world of MPCs because it didn't get to receive the same excitement and praise the others did. It came out a bit too late.
By Lampdog Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 pm
Lamp Boogie wrote:My 4000 is semi-semi-retired, but it still gets a small shake when I am in the mood.
By thehost250 Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:44 pm
I'm back on the forum guys. I've had many MPC's over the years and sold my 4000 last year after having the Ren for awhile. I ended up buying it back and I couldn't be happier. I really miss mine but my main reason is that I prefer to work out of the box during the production stage. I'm just more creative not staring at a screen and I prefer to turn knobs on keyboards and instantly change sounds versus click and wait. Yeah I'm old school but it's my preference even though I can work either way.