Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By greedy knowledge Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:29 pm
Speed your record up when recording it into the sp 1200. Then pitch it back.

You can also use a MPC to pitch the sample way up, then just pitch it back down in the sp 1200.

This will give you more sample time at a lower quality. Some people prefer the degraded quality for a grittier sound
By 60_3000_2000_4000 Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 pm
If you pitch a sample an octave above the pitch you want, and then slow it back down in the SP1200 then you get a lot less artifacts than if you sped it up to 45rpm etc. It's something to do with harmonics that I don't fully understand. Use another sampler to speed up the sample.
By Wal Martian Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:18 pm
60_3000_2000_4000 wrote:If you pitch a sample an octave above the pitch you want, and then slow it back down in the SP1200 then you get a lot less artifacts than if you sped it up to 45rpm etc.

A 33 RPM record played at 45 RPM is slightly more than a 5th higher in pitch, or 7 half steps. +5 and there's an octave.
By 60_3000_2000_4000 Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:08 am
Wal Martian wrote:
60_3000_2000_4000 wrote:If you pitch a sample an octave above the pitch you want, and then slow it back down in the SP1200 then you get a lot less artifacts than if you sped it up to 45rpm etc.

A 33 RPM record played at 45 RPM is slightly more than a 5th higher in pitch, or 7 half steps. +5 and there's an octave.

Oh right. Using an mpc might be a bit more accurate though.
By FaiYme 1 Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:39 am
This is so old but incase anyone still trying to find out if this is possible I'll go ahead and tell yall. This was my secret back in 2004-2010 when I was crushing out shut I had a secret that I only revealed to 2 people. Now I'm old and had to face reality so my production career is long gone and I'm here to say I own an emu sp1200 with 80 seconds of sampling time. I took an electrical engineering class in college and me and a gentleman known as care clusaki had 2 sp's and a slu of other samples in a studio we owned... it's really simple once you learn about circuits and computers, soldering. Signal flow...zzzz anyone ever put a memory expansion in a mpc? Look at how the plug wires into the board . Well on sp no extra spots on the board are available so what we did is tear out that low pass vs out pit crap and used those spots. Same for hi pass and the other useless one. From the back of those spots we re routed to the 7 additional memory stick plugs (hard to track down but it worked out) then left a bunch of slackcuz ur gonna have to pretty much mount them any where they'll fit them splice it all to the banks abcd wires (before where they split off to pass and faders) make sure all ur soldering is tight . Then we assign every memorychips to each bank (then chained together) if your still with me , put the face back on but don't screw it together for a test. The machine will still only say u have 10 seconds but each bank will say u have 10 seconds so 4 banks=80seconds and if u speed up ur samples going in it's more like 2 minutes! Make sure everything is functioning (except the 8outputs cuz that's now gone) and now your a mad man beat wizard with a set of balls that will make a bull blush! U also need to know back then we were paying maybe $500 for a sp1200 and didnt catr if we broke it... I dont think I would do it now that the damn things are 5gs and up but you might .. also it really wasn't necessary; just faster cuz I wasn't having to trim up shit to get that extra 2 seconds. Incase you wondering, yes I still have it,yes it still works and no not for sale! Been offered 10g and offered a motif, eps16 and mpc instead.. peace!
By richie Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:38 am
Do you recall if modifications were made to the GAL's to tell the SP1200 to map the higher memory addresses? (This is also what is required in order to upgrade the SP12 to the Turbo expansion]

What you're talking about in relation to stacking those 256k memory IC's is possible as that is what has been done in other systems. You would have to lift 1 pin on every memory IC on the mainboard and have them bridged together for common ground. I'm not sure why you'd need to remove the 8out to accomodate this as there is plenty of room inside the SP1200 to do this.

Perhaps post some pictures of this mod too.