The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By Ill-Green Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
**NOTE TO READER:This is not a tutorial**

As I wait for the arrival of the MPC Live, I decided to build a wooden stand for it. I was inspired by antique pump organs and decided to build one, ILL GREEN style :mrgreen:

That organ is not mine btw.

First, I had to vision how and where I want my equipment so I drew up a ghost pic of gear floating in the air at positions I want them for comfort. Then its burning the midnight lamp with few cups of earl grey figuring out measurements and spacing. After cutting the wood pieces according to my measurements, I begin putting it all together with corner brackets and Liquid Nails.

This is all for today. As you can see, I made the lower compartment to store vinyl records and CDs. Already beginning the desk area but I have to wait until the glue dries to install it in.

Later on, you'll see the progress of building the shelves for the CD player and turntable. The turntable will be a pull out draw :) also shelves for the speakers. I also plan to install fans inside for a venting system.

Thats why its the Super Wood Stand :nod:

In the end, it will look like a pump organ but with an MPC-Live inside, stay tuned.
By Coz Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 am
Interesting project... :popcorn:

I'd reconsider boxing your speakers into the cabinet if that's what you were planning on? Acoustically it'll give you all manner of problems.
By Ill-Green Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:26 pm
Coz wrote:Interesting project... :popcorn:

I'd reconsider boxing your speakers into the cabinet if that's what you were planning on? Acoustically it'll give you all manner of problems.

Ah ha! You a home theater aficionado. Yes, I put thought into it, planned to make a tight spot for the speakers ,which are 4 inch Micca passive speakers, and cover any openings with foam. The speakers will be behind a thin grill sheet or fabric to project the music toward me. We'll see how it goes :-D

Later today, I'll post more progress, almost finished the desk area and rackstations. Next will be pull out turntable and speaker setup.
By Ill-Green Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 pm
Day 3-Just finished the skeleton and working on the airduct system and speaker shelves. Hope to give it guts and skin...

Day 4-Adjusting and working on the outer panels. Its gonna be a beauty. I'll do more work next Wednesday.
By inflict3 Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:15 am
That's looking good homie, can't wait to see it finished
By Ill-Green Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:34 pm
inflict3 wrote:That's looking good homie, can't wait to see it finished

Thanks bro, planning the pull out draw now, after that its sanding, assembling and staining (my favorite part) but I don't want to finish too quickly for the Live has not been released yet. Just doing 4 hours a workday. By Saturday it should be built completely, we'll see though. :nod:
By Ill-Green Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 am
Update:just multitasking it at this point using old wood from the shed for details. Staining it and hooking up the electronics right now, but still gotta add the roof and pull out draw for the turntable.

By Ill-Green Sat May 06, 2017 4:46 am
I thought I was gonna get the Live sometime this week, but nothing yet. Tomorrow, I will post some pics of where I'm at with this, its dark in the shed now. Almost complete. :smoker:

Thanks Living Bate!
By Cockdiesel Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 am
Nice work!
I like the idea of having everything right there. I didn't build anything but I sure had fun rearranging my hardware for everything to fit. I just wanted to give you a heads up that the live itself is almost like a cellphone or iPad. I have only charged it twice this week. It excels at being portable. I have been sitting on my porch, laying in bed, and on my couch learning this thing. I know where you are coming from and was thinking the same as you that I want all my stuff right there but honestly I just recorded some samples into it and sat on my back porch and messed with it. There is a learning curve for me though. I have only owned two Mpcs over the years, a 2000 and a 4000. This thing is a whole other beast. A solid week or two I will have a better understanding, I only installed the software tonight, but I had to work doubles this week so my time has been limited.

Wish my woodworking was good as yours! :worthy:
By Ill-Green Sat May 06, 2017 6:54 pm
Thanks Cockdiesal!! I'm just a jack of many trades, master of none. This been in my mind to do for a couple years, made many plans but this was the one said the voices.

Pull out drawer for turntable, and all vents ready to suck in and blow out air, installed two AC Infinity fans in there. Spent a day modifying the speaker cabin with foam and wood panels making sure soundwaves reflect to me and out the box, made front porters. Almost finish here but still haven't started the actual stand for the Live which will be wood and metal grills. Gonna be slick shit soon.

By Ill-Green Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 am
Living Bate wrote:looking good!....

very original.....very rustic.....

Right, thanks Living Bate!

I grew up in an old house built in the 1800's and my father being a junker, used to bring home all kinds of antique furniture, it was not your average Sears furniture either, which attracted me to those old designs. I remember my father bringing home a Leslie organ when I was 8 years old. It was meant to be sold but I would turn it on every morning, getting welcomed by the rotary fan in there and play some discorded tunes :mrgreen: My mother got sick of my playing and auctioned it one day. I cried to bring it back, never happened. Since then, I became very fond of the organ but never heard it in music until I heard The Doors at age 11. That day changed my whole life, it was exciting to hear Ray passionate about the organ as I was. Thats why I chose this design.

By Friday it shall be wired up and complete but just without the Live :(