Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Phonetic Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm
Sup ya'll,
Just copped myself an S2000 to play with. Iv got the manual & am working my way through it.
Basically I just wanna dirty up some drums with it. Iv had a bit of a play with it but I don't really know what Im doing yet :hmmm:
Any tips on how to use this bad boy?
Its just the very basic model, no FX board, no 8 outs.
Thanks fam
By tapedeck Fri May 19, 2017 3:06 pm
the 2000 isn't really a machine to 'dirty up' sounds...its gonna have the same or very similar sampling engine to a 2000/xl mpc - and that is cd quality (which was a big deal back then).
having said that, it is a more fully featured sampler and could probably make more interesting chromatic patches.
if you have an mpc, maybe try to keep using the mpc for drums and the s2000 for melodic patches like a synthesizer.
By richie Sat May 20, 2017 6:14 am
^ 100%
By Phonetic Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 am
Thanks for the reply..
Ok maybe 'dirty' was the wrong word, I know it doesn't really colour souonds but you can certainly 'crunch' up some drums.
So far Iv recorded a break into it & had a bit of a mess about i.e normalised, & time stretched & it sounds pretty good, just wish I had that FX board.
The time stretching is soooo much better than on my MPC1000 & 2500. I used to own a 2KXL & I know they are of similar sound quality.
Its a fun little machine except for the tiny LCD.
So.... any tips on using it with the MPC? Ive never used one before so I'm progressing really slowly.
I'm thinking I wanna sample into it & use my MP for triggering samples & sequencing...
By richie Sat May 20, 2017 8:29 pm
The S2000/S3000XL is the same sample engine as the 2000/2000XL. I'm not sure what you mean by crunch because the S2000 is clean and didn't really offer any discernible coloring in my opinion.

If you really do enjoy the "sound" of the S2000 then do yourself a favor and get the 3000XL so you can have a proper screen to handle your tasks a lot easier. You're not missing anything with the FX card other than some cheap reverbs and a few other things. I took the FX out of the 3000XL and put it in my XL and all I find use for it is boosting drums a bit. You're better pressed to sample into the S2000 so you can have your fun, sequence on the computer or whatever, and then add effects once it is dumped in the DAW.
By Phonetic Wed May 24, 2017 4:10 pm
60_3000_2000_4000 wrote:

I discovered this guy on youtube the other night - he loves his S2000 for making jungle tracks

Haha yeah Iv seen this one. A bit too long in the tooth to be informative but his love for the sampler fills me with confidence :lol:
By richie Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 pm
If you get a USB to SCSI adapter, you can send samples straight from your computer to the sampler. Even better if you use recycle as recycle will auto create a program and keygroups too.
By Phonetic Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:13 pm
Ok..... so after playing around with it a little while I'm kinda struggling to find a use for it. When used with an MPC anyway.
It was just an impulse purchase..
So what do you guys use an S2000 for? Paperweight?
By tapedeck Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:10 pm
tapedeck wrote:it is a more fully featured sampler and could probably make more interesting chromatic patches.
if you have an mpc, maybe try to keep using the mpc for drums and the s2000 for melodic patches like a synthesizer.

use it like a synth.
By peterpiper Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:27 pm
I just looked at the manual of the s2000 and IMO this could be a nice tool to play with. Since its a "real" sampler (I learned sampling on rack samplers so MPCs always taste more like drummachines with sampling option to me) :smoker: its got much more flrxible options of sounddesign. LFOs, much more complex envelopes and routing. For example a pitch modulation that can be used with ENV2 so it might be possible to create nice electronic kickdrums (kind of 808/909).
Then there is the lower samplerate option (10k bandwidth) that might help to get more dirty sounds. And the possibility to sample really fast material (a pitched up sample) cause the s2000 can pitch down much more than the MPC2000 (only 24 semitones).
Another benefit of the s2000 to the MPC 2000 are mute groups which help playing good sequences of chops without the hassel of the MPC workflow (pad1 mute pad2 and pad 3, pad 2 mutes pad3 and pad 4" and so on).
multimode
normalize function
etc

To get more dirty I would sit down for an hour and try to find a good combination of samplebandwidth, pitched up sample and recgain.
I would start with a well known drumloop and sample it at different speeds (up to +48 semitones) at different bandwidth with different recgain adjustment.
If the results sounds to dull you can either use the filter with resonance to bring back the high frequencies (if there is anything left :) ) or boost the mid/high frequencies before sampling (and before speed up the original sample).

EDIT: Oh I totally forgot about the resampling function. So play around with this too (sample with high bandwidth and resample to lower bandwidth afterwards). Also try different quality settings there 1 is low quality)

peace
By Phonetic Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:33 am
peterpiper wrote:I just looked at the manual of the s2000 and....

Yo, thanks for the reply man, its given me a lot to think about.
Basically all Iv done so far is sample a drum break, pitch up/down & resample & normalize.
You can easily get some nice crunch going on.