Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By DimensionsTomorrow Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:09 pm
jpeg wrote:
DimensionsTomorrow wrote:Instead of chopping, it's easier to have the sample playback at different start points, which essentially accomplishes the same thing. It's hard to describe unless you are sitting over the unit.

can someone elaborate on this? I have heard the working flow be compared to the asr10

can someone explain if it is possible to have a sample assigned to one pad but then trigger that sound from different start points over a drum beat to where its basicall like u chopped it?

Any step of the sequence can start from a different starting point. Elektron calls this kind of per-step editing "parameter locking".
By DimensionsTomorrow Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 pm
Here's an example. This is a bit rough because it was literally my first beat with the Digitakt, so I was just experimenting. Those drums are some old Al Green drums, you'll notice that they have been rearranged somewhat, and sometimes reversed, etc. That is all done using per step start points. Basically, it's a kind of chopping or chopping alternative.

https://soundcloud.com/dimensionstomorr ... -like-this

Any sampled phrase could be rearranged in a similar fashion, this is just an example with drums.
By Ill-Green Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 am
:smoker: @DimensionsTomorrow and Loosecaboose-with examples like those the Digitakt is gonna bring back that raw Hip Hop. Sounds like you guys recorded it on tape.

Been doing 12 hour shifts but I'm glad 1.03 just came out before I can do a vid because I was having trouble sampling. It would show my last sample I recorded every time I hit sample instead of showing the incoming signal screen. Couldn't sample at all until I switched it off for a minute and turning it back on. Seems random though, lets see when I update my Digitakt, might have to set up a ticket.
By DimensionsTomorrow Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:29 pm
Ill-Green wrote::smoker: @DimensionsTomorrow and Loosecaboose-with examples like those the Digitakt is gonna bring back that raw Hip Hop. Sounds like you guys recorded it on tape.

Been doing 12 hour shifts but I'm glad 1.03 just came out before I can do a vid because I was having trouble sampling. It would show my last sample I recorded every time I hit sample instead of showing the incoming signal screen. Couldn't sample at all until I switched it off for a minute and turning it back on. Seems random though, lets see when I update my Digitakt, might have to set up a ticket.

I have a similar set up to you with that Tascam. I'm keeping it super simple and recording straight off the Digitakt into a little Boss Micro BR-80 8-track. I'm experimenting with the mastering modes at the moment. The first track I recorded was the standard mastering algorithm, and it basically gives you that super loud boosted volume thing that people do for radio cuts (the waveform looks like a sausage). The other two tracks up there I tried messing with different settings for dynamics and natural tone (way more dynamics in the waveforms).

The Digitakt can get insanely bass heavy when using the low pass filter. It basically sounds ok on headphones, but will blow out small speakers. I'm still experimenting with EQ on the Boss. A bit of trial and error at the moment. For the STBB #536 beat I tried cutting the bass and boosting the highs, it tamed the bass a bit and gave me super crispy hats, but the EQing not exactly right. I'll try messing with the mids a bit for my next beat.

I'm hoping they eventually bring EQ and compression to the master page on the Digitakt. That would be super handy.
By Ill-Green Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:22 am
DimensionsTomorrow wrote:
I have a similar set up to you with that Tascam. I'm keeping it super simple and recording straight off the Digitakt into a little Boss Micro BR-80 8-track. I'm experimenting with the mastering modes at the moment. The first track I recorded was the standard mastering algorithm, and it basically gives you that super loud boosted volume thing that people do for radio cuts (the waveform looks like a sausage). The other two tracks up there I tried messing with different settings for dynamics and natural tone (way more dynamics in the waveforms).

The Digitakt can get insanely bass heavy when using the low pass filter. It basically sounds ok on headphones, but will blow out small speakers. I'm still experimenting with EQ on the Boss. A bit of trial and error at the moment. For the STBB #536 beat I tried cutting the bass and boosting the highs, it tamed the bass a bit and gave me super crispy hats, but the EQing not exactly right. I'll try messing with the mids a bit for my next beat.

I'm hoping they eventually bring EQ and compression to the master page on the Digitakt. That would be super handy.

Yeah, the filters blew out my little Lepai amp twice, really extreme parameters and I was just trying to make a bassline bassy. Lepai is a digital amp so it won't suffer like an analog amp. Thinking about removing the MV from the studio and put the Digitakt in its place to handle such frequencies better.

Finally picking up my own workflow. I was trying to be like Cenk since I got it, but now I'm like "Cenk got his own thing, Imma do mine." Gotta be Ill Green :mrgreen: Sequencer was a little hard to learn but I finally understand it. :nod:

Oh and the issues with sampling was user error :-D Didn't know you had to press NO to exit.
By DimensionsTomorrow Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:42 am
Ill-Green wrote:Finally picking up my own workflow. I was trying to be like Cenk since I got it, but now I'm like "Cenk got his own thing, Imma do mine." Gotta be Ill Green :mrgreen: Sequencer was a little hard to learn but I finally understand it. :nod:

Oh and the issues with sampling was user error :-D Didn't know you had to press NO to exit.

Sweet. That's what I'm counting on. I've heard your other stuff, so I know when you put your spin on the Digitakt it's gonna be ridiculous, next-level stuff. :worthy:

I learned a lot from Cenk in those videos. You can do some amazing stuff with Control-All. Great for getting variations on repetitive beats. It takes a bit of practice and skill though to capture it smoothly during the recording process, but it makes me feel like I'm channeling my inner King Tubby when I'm doing it. I bet he and Scratch Perry would have flipped their sh*t if they had one of these back in the 70s.

Just updated to the new OS. I see there are finally "Sounds" added to the sound bank. I need to figure out how to work with those.

I'm heading back to the States next week for a couple of weeks. I was going to bring the Digitakt with me but it seems like it would be a PITA to travel internationally with it. Customs is nightmare as is, I don't want to get held up having to explain to people while I'm carrying a "device".
By jpeg Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 am
welp bit the bullet and got the digitakt.

have neva used any elektron stuff before as the design style has never appealed to me; but this elektron captured my interest and the more vids I watched have convinced me that this appears to be a fun unit with lots of creative scope.

something about the unit prolly the buttons instead of pads kinda gives me the sp1200 vibe; and also it seems the filters are also very nice; as I imagine the the sp1200 to sound.

also something about the unit prolly the filters has me reminiscing on the korg esx1 which was also one of the units that inspired my creativity the most, and that unit also had a synth like engine that could be applied to samples (despite the fact that i did not use the synth aspects that much)

I feel the elektron takes that concept to a next level so am looking forward to what I can do with it.
By Ill-Green Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:45 am
jpeg wrote:welp bit the bullet and got the digitakt.

have neva used any elektron stuff before as the design style has never appealed to me; but this elektron captured my interest and the more vids I watched have convinced me that this appears to be a fun unit with lots of creative scope.

something about the unit prolly the buttons instead of pads kinda gives me the sp1200 vibe; and also it seems the filters are also very nice; as I imagine the the sp1200 to sound.

also something about the unit prolly the filters has me reminiscing on the korg esx1 which was also one of the units that inspired my creativity the most, and that unit also had a synth like engine that could be applied to samples (despite the fact that i did not use the synth aspects that much)

I feel the elektron takes that concept to a next level so am looking forward to what I can do with it.

2nd batches are due next week, good luck!

Have you ever used an ES2? How is it compared to an ESX-1? Some peeps say the ES2 is kinda like the Digitakt which I don't believe, I had an ESX myself, its more MPC like than a Digitakt.
By jpeg Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 am
Ill-Green wrote:
2nd batches are due next week, good luck!

Have you ever used an ES2? How is it compared to an ESX-1? Some peeps say the ES2 is kinda like the Digitakt which I don't believe, I had an ESX myself, its more MPC like than a Digitakt.

yup i used the es2 for a few month; horrible sample management, the usb connection is poorly utilized

the screen is very poor, the construction was good as was the sound, the pads were horrible, i like da battery on it.

but i quickly became frustrated with the unit and think the korg esx was better overall
By jpeg Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:12 pm
so got the digitakt

well built machine feels like some good quality components; its compact buy kinda heavy.

think they should of made it battery powered considering its wight.

nice screen as far as wireframe read outs go.

effects are great; id like to see them add a tube warmth effect and a tape effect

the sample transfer app is awesome and the way of loading samples is really well handled, korg es2 should take note.

the navigation and workflow is well laid out and easy to use; just the inital impression is cos its different to the mpc or machine u just gotta make the adjustment.

i hope they add auto chop for transients and regions; id like to see the audio tracks expanded to 16. where each track u have a choice between audio or midi.

in the short term id love for someone to advise how i can chop sample on the same track I know i can make the triggers place at different start points but am i correct in saying that u can only do this in step mode?