The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By Tomes Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:57 pm
Téhu wrote:My machine actually do ABS printing and i got the roll, I just have to test it. I know that mold is better for mass production, but it's not my goal! I want to make custom solutions and i'm just at the begining.
My machine also do ''Ninja Flex'' material, that feels like rubber. in the futur i'll try the pads just for fun and try to improve the original design.
The problem with mold, is that improvements are difficult, with printing we can try almost everything.

Hey. I work in a 3d-printing company, so i know a few things about this stuff. You are right that ABS is much better for something like this than PLA. PETG would also be a good material. But if your printer can print PC(polycarbonate), that would be even better than ABS or PETG.

BTW you could make a mold with a printer, then make a silicone or polyurethane cast in it. ABS would be pretty nice for this because you can smooth it with acetone. So make it a just tiny bit smaller than normally, sand the layers smoother, then final smooth with acetone, and you have yourself a cast that can be used to make pads that are cheaper, better(both material and quality) and faster to mass produce than with printing :) Personally i wouldnt make pads with ninjaflex, as it has higher hardness than regular mpc pads.
But ninjaflex might just work. If i were you, i would try to make it have some thinner line(like if the rubber pad thing were 2mm normally, you would make like 1mm wide and 1,25mm deep gap) circling the pad to make it go down a bit easier.

Ps. Materialize is a good printing service. I have ordered shit tons from them and they have been able to deliver quality prints and have good delivery times.
By saltmcgault Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:32 pm
Tomes wrote:
Téhu wrote:My machine actually do ABS printing and i got the roll, I just have to test it. I know that mold is better for mass production, but it's not my goal! I want to make custom solutions and i'm just at the begining.
My machine also do ''Ninja Flex'' material, that feels like rubber. in the futur i'll try the pads just for fun and try to improve the original design.
The problem with mold, is that improvements are difficult, with printing we can try almost everything.

Hey. I work in a 3d-printing company, so i know a few things about this stuff. You are right that ABS is much better for something like this than PLA. PETG would also be a good material. But if your printer can print PC(polycarbonate), that would be even better than ABS or PETG.

BTW you could make a mold with a printer, then make a silicone or polyurethane cast in it. ABS would be pretty nice for this because you can smooth it with acetone. So make it a just tiny bit smaller than normally, sand the layers smoother, then final smooth with acetone, and you have yourself a cast that can be used to make pads that are cheaper, better(both material and quality) and faster to mass produce than with printing :) Personally i wouldnt make pads with ninjaflex, as it has higher hardness than regular mpc pads.
But ninjaflex might just work. If i were you, i would try to make it have some thinner line(like if the rubber pad thing were 2mm normally, you would make like 1mm wide and 1,25mm deep gap) circling the pad to make it go down a bit easier.

Ps. Materialize is a good printing service. I have ordered **** tons from them and they have been able to deliver quality prints and have good delivery times.

I don't know why I didn't think of this while in school for mechanical engineering. we work with 3d printers and cnc mills and software to design and write codes to make make 3d pieces and dyes
By phoking Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:39 pm
I'm actually thinking about printing some buttons on my TAZ5 for 2kXL and maybe my 60. I always knew someone would beat me to it. Even MPCstuff.com has a 3d Printed jog wheel for the 2kxl (I'm assuming PLA). However, it does look like utter garbage :vomit: .

https://www.mpcstuff.com/jog-data-wheel-replacement-akai-mpc-2000-xl-3d-print/

Anyway, hopefully i'll get around to printing something soon and do a post. I'll be using White ABS since it's all I have that is the strongest right now. Actually I have some protopasta polycarbonate ABS (some hybrid probably).
By JUKE 179r Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:45 pm
phoking wrote:... Even MPCstuff.com has a 3d Printed jog wheel for the 2kxl (I'm assuming PLA). However, it does look like utter garbage :vomit: .

https://www.mpcstuff.com/jog-data-wheel-replacement-akai-mpc-2000-xl-3d-print/

What the hell was that shit? looks like someone whittled it out of wood and painted it black. :vomit:
I'd like to find someone to 3D print some durable red Record and Overdub buttons for my 3000LE.
By JUKE 179r Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm
I found MPCExchange has some quality rotary knobs for a decent price of $19.95.
http://www.mpcexchange.com/jog-wheel-for-akai-mpc-2000xl/
I'm mentioning them because they have some quality 2000/2000XL/4000/3000/3000LE pad sensor sheets that I prefer over MPC-Stuff's.
By richie Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:54 am
@Juke what difference do you notice with the MPC Exchange ones over mpc-stuff?
By kurz weilich Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 am
Hi i just registered for this thread even its a little bit old.

-- I NEED MPC1000 Button Templates-- for one of the cursor buttons.

I live in berlin and it is very expensive to order any parts from the us! i borrowed the mpc 8 years ago from a friend and i would like to give i back to him one day in a playable condition.

thanks for any help
By Sense-A Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm
Really great and valuable contribution Téhu!

3D printers are awesome and will be a staple in every household in the future. I'm surprised more and more people haven't harnessed and capitalized off of this technology. I paid someone else to 3D print me an enclosure for my SCSI2SD and it works great.

Think of all the money we waste getting knobs, buttons, and other plastic parts off the internet.

I think in the future we'll get 3D printer files for parts instead of the schematics and part numbers we dig to find in the back of service manuals. That's so 20th century.

If you cannot afford a 3D printer, many local colleges, universities, and libraries offer free or low cost usage of one. You can collect your 3D files, print them at your local library and be on your way. There's also an online network where you can find other people locally who will share the use of their printer or print you what you need for a low price.
By Tonearmy Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 am
do you have this stl file and will it fit mpc 500?
Téhu wrote:Old post, but 3D printing is still in the air!
I made a couple of clone of MPC parts with my 3D printer, and the result are very satisfying!
Actually they are in PLA, and they are very easily breakable, but i improved the design and they works very well!

By Cloud.Paradigms Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:47 pm
Téhu wrote:Old post, but 3D printing is still in the air!
I made a couple of clone of MPC parts with my 3D printer, and the result are very satisfying!
Actually they are in PLA, and they are very easily breakable, but i improved the design and they works very well!

Bringing this post back to life. I was wondering if anyone has STL files for these button?

I've found STL files for the small buttons (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2657340) but haven't been able to find one for larger one (like in this post). Plus I think this button is this link isn't perfect yet.
By Sense-A Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:59 pm
Looks great.

One of you guys could innovate this and get rich. Think of all the replacement plastic stuff you could print and sell online. Or even improve upon and redesign.

Problem is, people tell me that it is still not cost efficient and is time consuming. It doesn't compete with mass produced injection molding plastic parts i am told.

I need a few buttons for my MPC1000. The up button is in poor shape and held together with double sided tape.