Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Ian Canefire Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:57 pm
Hi Folks,
Seems like a year ago I was in this same boat. Turned on my MPC4000 did all sorts of arranging then when I tried to put some sounds on a pad I realized it was not triggering.
Three of my pads are not working. The original trigger died and I posted about it. Had a hard time trying to insert the end into the port on the mpc. I was told to jam it in with force. Voila. It worked.
Now I am going to have to buy another replacement.

Do they replacements tend to wear out faster than the original? I use the MPC weekly. The original lasted for many years and through three owners.

Cheers,
Ian
By smokeme442200 Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:36 am
Did you open up your Mpc? The Ribbon cable coming from the pads can easily be damaged, it's happened to me multiple times because the is a metal part that rubs against it. If this is the case there is a way to fix it without replacing your pads, just put wire glue across the wires of the individual ones that are broke then cover with electrical tape or liquid electrical tape
By JUKE 179r Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:25 am
I've tried electrical paint on MPC2000XL pad sheet contacts and honestly that shit lasted for about a week and it was back to not working again.
If you can't get the old pad sheet repositioned and working, try to "lightly" clean the contacts with fine sand paper and/or wipe the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and reinsert.
If all else fails, buy newer pad sensor sheets. I prefer MPC Exchange's pad sensors for my client's MPCs over the MPC-Stuff pad sensors.
By MPCWeapon1 Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:Hi Folks,
Seems like a year ago I was in this same boat. Turned on my MPC4000 did all sorts of arranging then when I tried to put some sounds on a pad I realized it was not triggering.
Three of my pads are not working. The original trigger died and I posted about it. Had a hard time trying to insert the end into the port on the mpc. I was told to jam it in with force. Voila. It worked.
Now I am going to have to buy another replacement.

Do they replacements tend to wear out faster than the original? I use the MPC weekly. The original lasted for many years and through three owners.

Cheers,
Ian

Take off the metal casing and see if the pads work. If they do then it’s too much pressure on the ribbon when you put the casing back on. Adjust that piece that guard’s the ribbon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiVz_YGZ_Xo

See if you got the pads from MPCstuff their pads are little longer than the originals so part of it protrudes and when you put the metal casing on it presses that little ribbon guard up against the ribbon and the pressure from it causes the left row pads not to work.
By Ian Canefire Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:34 pm
My pads are working again. Just to recap...a few pads stopped working. then it was just 2 pads that stopped working . Today I just opened it made sure the pad sensor is flat and smoothed out. Plugged it in and tested and all the pads work. THen I put the rubber pads and the case back together and everything still works.

Makes me wonder if it was temperature related or if the rubber pads were not snug.
In any case I am happy that my 4000 is in tip top shape again.

I rarely use the pads anyway I midi other controllers to my mpc and use those usually.
Cheers,
IAN