Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Icepulse Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:18 pm
Icepulse wrote:
jahsoul wrote:
Lampdog wrote:Why haven't you started production then.

Man, I swear I wish it was that easy. I still swear up and down that I created the concept of the MPC Ren. :lol:

Snippet from pitch letter I wrote to Akai in Jan 2010 wrote:The concept of the MPC-S is taking the MPC and making the Akai OS computer software. Because the MPC 1000 is the size of a notebook computer, it is the perfect template for the controller. In fact, the hardware of the MPC 1000 doesn’t change. Every button, knob, Q-Link faders, screen, and even the sound card (which will be explained a little later) will not change. The only differences the MPC 1000 and the MPC-S hardware controller would have are the compact flash card slot/hard drive opening and power outlet. Everything on the hardware will keep its function and the screen will use the same UI as the current Akai OS for every function of the hardware. The controller would be bus powered and would also be the interface for the sound card. A feature that will set the controller light years ahead of the rest would be the sound card. It will work as an USB audio interface, which will continue to give the MPC-S the authentic MPC feel. The audio interface will keep the record in, audio out, front headphone jack, digital in and out, and 2 midi in and midi out. The only changes to the audio interface would be the 2 balanced inputs and 2 balanced outputs. This allows users to connect all audio devices to their MPC-S hardware controller and keep all addition hardware integrated with the hardware/software combo. The MPC-S hardware controller would also act as the dongle, being the only way the software would be functional, with one needing the other.

The computer software would represent everything that is done on the hardware controller. It will incorporate everything the MPC is known for, such as the sampling features, the MPC “swing” and song sequencing. Users can sample, time stretch, perform auto-chop, make programs, and make songs just like they would on the MPC 1000. All samples, loops, programs, sequences, and songs can be accessed quickly with everything on the screen. Because it is computer software, many more features would be included. A few added features would be the addition of more effects, VST in the software environment, and vintage mode. One complaint that many users have always complained about was the lack of effects that was offered on the MPC, and many users would sample into a primary sampler before recording into the MPC. The MPC-S software would take away the need for a primary sampler by adding effects that’s on many of the popular DAWs that have been released in recent years. The ability to use VSTs in the software environment is one area Native Instruments fell short in when they created the Maschine. Users of the Maschine have to use midi workarounds, which takes away from the workflow. Allowing users to have VSTs in the environment gives them access to countless sounds and instruments while speeding up workflow. The vintage sampler mode has been a request for many years. There is a reemergence of the old, low bit sounds that were found in older samplers, such as the Akai MPC 60, EMU SP 1200, and Ensoniq ASR Pro. This vintage mode would emulate these sounds perfectly through component modeling of the actual units' sound engine and output circuits. A major application that could be implemented into the software would be the click and drag of the completed arrangement in song mode. This feature would give the user the option to click a marker over the song mode window, and this would convert every track from midi to audio and the ability to drag each sequence into any DAW to finish the music production process.

:(

It's all well and good, but I have it on some good info, from a friend of a friend down w/ the DITC crew who does beta w/ Akai that we're likely to be very happy soon.

That's all I got. Take it w/ a grain, yo.

Told ya!!
By Ill-Green Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:41 pm
News from NAMM'17

January 19, 2017
Planned updates for the TORAIZ SP-16 from February 2017
You've asked and we've listened. We're working hard behind the scenes to add more features to the TORAIZ SP-16. The following updates are coming soon.

FEBRUARY 2017 RELEASE:

AS-1 TRACK: Optimised MIDI TRACK enabling control over the TORAIZ AS-1 - analog synthesiser.
SET SCALE: Change the PAD SCALE MODE for SAMPLE and MIDI TRACKs.
ANALOG FILTER: Insert to an individual TRACK and not just MASTER OUT.
SCENE IMPORT/EXPORT: Import/Export SCENE files across PROJECT files or exchange with other users.
NEW EFFECTS: DUCKER* and PHASER.
*DUCKER: Track insert FX only
SPRING 2017 RELEASE:

LIVE SAMPLING/LOOPER: Sample and Play input signal on the fly/live.
(We are closely monitoring the Pioneer DJ TORAIZ Forums and TORAIZ Facebook user group and appreciate seeing the passion and community forming around the TORAIZ SP-16. All new feature and improvement suggestions are currently being investigated. We will release further news on the planned 'SPRING 2017 RELEASE’ as soon as the schedule is confirmed.)
By Ill-Green Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 am
mr_debauch wrote:did they make the SP-16 good yet?

PIONEER DJ wrote: Avatar
TORAIZ SP-16 - 32 Second Sample Limit (Explained)
Hi everyone,

You might have noticed myself posting recently. I’m a new moderator on the TORAIZ Forums along with D.j. Creme. I Just wanted to let you know that we’re listening to the feedback here and really appreciate seeing the passion and community forming around the TORAIZ SP-16. Ive been tasked to ensure I get back to your posts ASAP, and if I can’t help immediately I’ll raise a support ticket on your behalf direct to the TORAIZ engineers.

I feel the 32 second sample limit is a hot topic, so I thought this would be a good starting point to introduce myself officially.

Here is a brief explanation as to why we have chosen a 32 second sample limit.

When you receive the error message “CANNOT LOAD SAMPLE OVER 32 SECONDS”. This message appears when sample source files greater than 32 seconds in length are selected.

The SP-16 has 8GB of internal memory (flash ROM) and 256MB RAM for audio samples. The reason why we have limited the length of samples loaded is to ensure maximum performance utilising all performance features over all 16 TRACKS simultaneously. To switch between scenes whilst playing back the sequence, all of the samples used in the project must be loaded onto the RAM. Once above the 32 second sample length limit we start to jeopardise the performance of the hardware, hence why we need a sample length limit.

There are 16 TRACK's and 16 SCENE's, so in total there are 256 sample slots (16 x 16) in one PROJECT. The 256 sample slots share the 256MB RAM (without elaborating, 1MB per 1 sample slot). Here, we will calculate the the size of a 1 second sample as 44,100Hz x 3 Byte (24 bit) x 2 CH = 264KB. Note that some of these numbers have been rounded to the nearest whole number to make it easier to understand. 1MB divided by 264KB = 3.78 seconds. If you want to assign different samples to every TRACK in each SCENE, the samples have to be less than 3.78 seconds. Remember you have in total 256MB RAM to play with, so the previous is the most extreme. Generally, a project will consist of one shots and loops which are duplicates of other samples used across other SCENE’s. The total size of the samples exceeding 256MB is up to the user.

Next, we considered what the optimal and convenient length of a sample is. The SP-16's pattern is up to 4 bars, so the longest loop is 16 seconds at 60 BPM. However, many users want to use longer loops and set the start/end point in the playback menu, for example, you could have a 32 second sample (16 bars at 120BPM) and select 8 seconds of that sample to create a 4 bar loop. Users would also like to record over 16 second samples, since recording guitars and vocals would require margins.

From the above reasons, we've balanced out the length and performance, choosing to limit the length of a sample to 32 seconds. Having said this, we are currently investigating how we can remove this limit but as its stands this is the current specification.

We hope this helps you understand why we gave the SP-16 a 32 second limit.

Thank you for your feedback so far.
By v00d00ppl Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:57 pm

Undo isn't present yet but you can now assign the SSM2044 filter to individual tracks.

Dave Smith needs to stop playing around and just sell the prophet 6 and the OB 6 filter box in one unit like the analog heat.
By mr_debauch Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:29 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:

Undo isn't present yet but you can now assign the SSM2044 filter to individual tracks.

Dave Smith needs to stop playing around and just sell the prophet 6 and the OB 6 filter box in one unit like the analog heat.

pioneer will probably put those in one of their DJ mixers and slap dave smith's name on it
By Miro Minasian Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:30 am
===Pioneer Toraiz SP-16 Nudge Problem===

Hello guys i have a problem trying to sync my loops or samples with my CDJs Nexus but it seems when i nudge the tempo on the Toraiz it only applies on the triggers of the sequencer but not the loops or the samples that are time-stretched on the Toraiz and they run out of sync/tempo with my CDJs Nexus.

Any solution for this?

This is really not working with me so i hope there is an option that nudges everything with the tempo and not just the triggers on the sequencer.
By Cockdiesel Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:03 am
Man. No one is rocking one of these. Still real new but it’s like Roland and elektron had a baby that resembled a mpc live. Not sure how to explain it. I need more time but so far this thing dope. Both the live and sp 16 seem to have a “modern vibe” to everything from sound to user interface. Not sure what the deal is with these pioneers but they made a dope machine. Outshines the live in some ways but lacks in ways as well. It might just be me but it seems to have a Roland vibe to it. Like if they build upon and continued with the sp series. I never used a mv but I imagine the pioneer sits somewhere between the two but with ALOT of modern features.

Not sure what the deal is but I suggest people to check it out. They are going for a lot cheaper if you look around. It’s expensive new but even at that seems to be worth it.