Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Farooq Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 am
Hello,

I have a problem with overdub. I will provide an example, say I have a 1 bar loop where I record one chord from a jx-3p synth. The recording loops and automatically goes into overdub mode. If I stop the recording in overdub mode it edits the recording. In the case of my example, the chord will cut off wherever I hit stop. Say I stop the recording during bar 1.02 the chord will stop playing at 1.02 if I replay the recording. The chord should play continuously through the bar, all I did was hit stop/overdub. Same thing happens with my Roland Ju-06 boutique. I basically have to have an extra bar so I can stop overdub in it, and truncate the last bar. Same thing happens if I press overdub, or if I press stop.

Is this supposed to happen? Is there a way to turn off overdub so it doesn't kick in when the recording loops? I was hoping the 2000xl could sequence my synths.
By tapedeck Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:17 pm
the xl can sequence your synths, it is one of the best midi sequencers available.

this is what i think is happening...you are releasing the chord after the loop comes around, and the note-off is now after the note-on and so the effect is the notes are shorter. what happens if you go into step edit and manually edit the duration of the notes? try that.
By Farooq Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:25 pm
thanks for the reply.

I don't think that is what is happening. If I have a chord progression, wherever I stop the the recording in ODDUB mode while it loops there is a silence. But if I were to let the loop continue in ODUB mode, the playback is exactly how I played the chords. It is only when I stop does it record the stop.

I don't want to go into menu diving just to fix notes. The MPC2000xl is cumbersome in that department, if I wanted to sequence like that I would get a yamaha qy700 because it at least has a piano roll. But I will try what you suggested.

Is there a way to turn of ODUB mode btw?
By tapedeck Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm
again, the way you describe it is in line with what i think is happening...things get weird when midi events start looping and you really have to program precisely and the synth patch too should respond accordingly to work w/ the sequencer - it is a balancing act between the two pieces of hardware.

and don't be put off by step-edit, it is a pretty basic and even quick way of working with this machine - id hardly call it 'menu diving'.

i've never experienced what you are describing, so i have to assume its user-error / misunderstanding somewhere on my end or yours. if it actually is recording a non-existent note off, another solution would be to maybe hit overdub once to turn recording off, then stop the playback. i would be curious to know what durations you are recording, but yea there are a lot of variables at play and yer gonna have to do the detective work mostly yerself, setting up little experiments to see what exactly is breaking down.

my only other suggestion is, if you like the qy700, use that.