Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:32 pm
Don't DJ any more, but I remember how needles trashed my vinyl from all the back and forth cueing , scratching etc. This seems like a great solution to that problem, although can't help but think the 1st generation is going to be a bit buggy until they iron out all the kinks. I wonder how it handles when the deck vibrates?
By Ill-Green Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Don't DJ any more, but I remember how needles trashed my vinyl from all the back and forth cueing , scratching etc. This seems like a great solution to that problem, although can't help but think the 1st generation is going to be a bit buggy until they iron out all the kinks. I wonder how it handles when the deck vibrates?

Truly innovating stuff. I was thinking about laser technology for turntables a month ago when I was looking at the lamp on my T.62. Was thinking it would be cool if it was a laser playing the record.

This video might answer your question. This guy practically holds the record in his hand with the Phase attached and it plays.

By tapedeck Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:16 pm
hate to burst yer bubble but there's no lasers happening here.

that thing is not reading the record, it is transmitting timecode to control a digital system - like DVS.

and yea, its badass :mrgreen:
By Ill-Green Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:25 pm
tapedeck wrote:hate to burst yer bubble but there's no lasers happening here.

that thing is not reading the record, it is transmitting timecode to control a digital system - like DVS.

and yea, its badass :mrgreen:

Ah timecode crap :oops:

It might be the new thing in DJing. More tricks to the arsenal. I never understood DJs using a needle on a blank timecoded record when a media cdj can do the same. If this were a true laser cartridge, they could've been rolling in elephant shitloads of money.

:vomit: disappointed I guess. But is what it is.

Thanks for the insight, I'm no DJ myself, but it looks cool.
By tapedeck Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:52 pm
honestly, the timecode seems to hold up and in my experience scratching with timecode, i have been pleasantly surprised.

if the hype is any indication, these things are going to sell very well. you do lose the ability to needle drop, but the convenience factor and things like hot cues still make this incredibly attractive. and honestly, i've always kind of felt like if you are using timecode records just like normal vinyl, what is the point? at least with this, it kind of forces you to update your methods and i think that is a good thing.
By CHOPFYT Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 am
I saw this last night looking through namm videos it does seem cool and could be fun for tricks but for me it only solves the "problem" of a tone arm and needle like the Rane 72 with a full size platter which is fine if you have or use DVS but beyond the gimmick of air play it kind of makes a DJs expensive turntable set up pointless.
You might as well buy DVS, a good controller or CDJ instead wasting money on these things and DVS software just to turn your analog gear into pricey decorations.
By tapedeck Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:09 pm
i mean i kinda get what yer saying.... but to someone who knows and uses a 1200 extensively, nothing can replace that feeling. i haven't found a single 'rotating platter controller' that is any damn good, and cdjs, yea they work, but again, it really aint a 1200.

on that note...yea i think 90% of laptop djs dont even use the dvs system to its full potential and you might as well be mixing internal, it really is unnecessary if yer just beatmatching and mixing tracks and rocking cue points.

but this tech looks cool, regardless and im happy to see people pushing the craft forward. somebody will come up with a way to seriously freak this. :mrgreen:
By CHOPFYT Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 pm
Oh yeah Im not saying it can replace the sound and feel of vinyl. I think alot of digital companies make the mistake of trying to say they have products that can replace vinyl cos you cant replace a record with anything...every piece is different thats the beauty of vinyl.

But IMO there is very little difference between the techniques DJs can execute with a 1200 running DVS and DJs playing standard records on a 1200 its the vinyl that makes a difference.
By tapedeck Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 pm
that is sick. the tracking seems really good. i do wonder how it compares to audio timecode - i guess in theory it could be even tighter.