Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:17 pm
I'm pretty sure that any regular 3.5" 1.44mb internal floppy drive will work as a replacement but you might have to adjust the jumper settings to get it to show up on the 2000
By Lampdog Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 pm
Regular ole computer floppy drive. Power cable form factor may be diff.
Jumper may need to be looked at.
By narcoticnoise Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 pm
Psychedelic Schizophrenic wrote:I'm pretty sure that any regular 3.5" 1.44mb internal floppy drive will work as a replacement but you might have to adjust the jumper settings to get it to show up on the 2000

ok thanks !!!
do you happen to know how to adjust the jumper settings? is there a thread showing that?
By narcoticnoise Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:28 pm
Lampdog wrote:Regular ole computer floppy drive. Power cable form factor may be diff.
Jumper may need to be looked at.

Ok cool ! i'm not sure if you will be able to see this but this is the one i bought
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teac-FD-235HF- ... 2749.l2649

Is there any info on another thread showing how to adjust jumper settings ? i'm kinda new to the mpc scene so i don't really know much about that.

thanks !
By narcoticnoise Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:34 pm
i read another thread on this forum with the floppy issue and an user named DJAMES posted this

"You do not need to adjust any jumpers to replace the one in the 2000XL like everyone stated and any modern computer floppy drive will work. To use it in a 60 or 3000 for that matter you DO have to adjust the jumper settings. The ill thing is like Fobe stated VST and Forat and other places like that are charging cats like $150 or more for a drive that cost them less than $15 just because the jumpers are set differently from a newer drive."

He mentioned the 2000xl doesn't need jumpers to replace is it the same for the 2000 classic ?
By sachet Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 am
Sup

I recently obtained a Sony MPF920 drive - I think it might possibly be the MPF920-Z because it says Z/121 ( Jun 2005) on a seperate part of the label.

I opened up my MPC 2000 Classic last night - its bit of a mission and scary but its doable, for anyone that has doubts they are able. I can post pictures / tutorial on this if anyone is really stuck. Or just ask me any Q's.

Anyway, I opened the 2k up and plugged in the sony drive. It appeared to power up - the light came on and it made some clicking noises. But wouldnt read the OS disk - just got a "read error" message on the screen. I wondered if anyone knows what the deal is with this drive - I've read that the MPF920 is compatible?
Another thing I noticed is this sony drive has 1 missing pin (i think by design) on the data connection port where the ribbon / data cable attaches. Possibly this has something to do with it?
It could be a faulty drive of course.

Good to hear the jumper thing isnt an issue on the 2K.

Or is it?

Please - any info appreciated.

Could REALLY do with a "master list" of drives that people have found work or don't work, stickied into the mpc2000 thread, as this technology gets older and the old drives fail.

I dont want to get a USB gotek thing either, and SCSI drives are beyond my budget - unless anyones got a compatible 1GB JAZ drive for a good price (as mine is starting to die)

Nice 1 Cheers all. Great forum.
By richie Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 am
SCSI drives are quite cheap though:

- Find a 50 pin SCSI hard drive on eBay. They're easily obtainable for the cost of going to McDonalds.
* If you want to find a newer and quieter hard drive, which is also quite easy then here is an example of what has the correct SCSI controller that will be compatible with falling back to scsi-1 mode needed for the 2000:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-D6107A-9-1G ... 1462905623
* It is important to get the right hard drive. So if there are others you're interested in, tell me which one and I'll be able to verify if it is compatible with this setup.
* You will then need a SCSI80 to 50 pin adapter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI-SCA-80-PI ... 2994203500
* with the adapter listed above, if you do not connect any pins to to it the 2000 will auto boot off SCSI ID 0 which is fine as it is the first device it searches for in the chain.

- Find a external SCSI case. Even easier if you can find an external SCSI cd-rom where you can take the cd-rom out to replace with the hard drive.

- Find the necessary SCSI cable to inteface the external SCSI case to a DB25 female on the back of your 2000.
* I suggest you spend $5 and find a SCSI termination connector just to have in case you have any possible incompatibility issues, although not likely if you follow what I'm writing here.

- Find a power plug. Most external SCSI enclosure will utilize the same generic cord that your MPC 2000 uses.

The total cost to obtain this is easily doable for the sub $50 usd amount. Do not bother paying anyone $150-250 USD when all they're doing is what I've illustrated above.

Peace