Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By MrDismal Sun May 13, 2018 7:42 am
Is there any way to delay the sound when you tap a pad?
I want a slight delay after adding a snare etc.

The only 2 ways I can think of doing this is adding air before the actual sample which is a pain, and to step edit which I could never actually figure out and never used it.
By MrDismal Sun May 13, 2018 8:40 am
Forgot about the swing feature (I never use it, cause I never quantize). So, easy way would be to make a new track with that one shot on it and add swing. Voila!
By SILIS101 Sun May 13, 2018 1:23 pm
This is the first thought that comes to mind: Turn on 16-Levels and choose Velocity. Tap your snare full velocity and hit it again at a lower one to give a delay sounding snare.
By tapedeck Sun May 13, 2018 6:16 pm
MrDismal wrote:Forgot about the swing feature (I never use it, cause I never quantize). So, easy way would be to make a new track with that one shot on it and add swing. Voila!

there's also 'shift timing' which will do this tho not in realtime.

i'd say just practice getting the hits where you want with quantise off. then you can tighten up in step edit or w/ quantise as you want.

i really don't like adding 'air' to the beginning of the sample cause then you have to trim it out anytime you want a normal snare - huge pain. plus doing it in the sequence is editable and means you can replace w/ any sound and it will still work.
By Harmoncj Mon May 14, 2018 12:58 am
MrDismal wrote:to step edit which I could never actually figure out and never used it.

you have got to learn to step edit! thats the biggest main power of mpc so much fun. .... I'm not at an mpc right now but you can for example move just the pad that represents snare onto a different track at a later time. but I think you have to go back and remove the snare from the first track.

anyhow if you just hit open window a bunch everywhere and get an idea of what kind of tools step edit provides a lot of times I found I can make an entire 2 to 3 minutes track out of step editing from a what was originally a live jam.

that or, you know, the EB16 card. :wink:
By Lampdog Tue May 15, 2018 8:14 pm
MrDismal wrote:to step edit which I could never actually figure out and never used it.

Harmoncj wrote:you have got to learn to step edit!

Place snare 3 ticks after the existing one. Delete the original snare tick. Done.
By MrDismal Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 am
Yeah I know I really need to learn the Step Edit. I have the EB-16 card already. I still think using swing on a new track is a good idea though. For what I need at least.
By JVC Wed May 16, 2018 3:46 am
Step edit is the main reason I use MPC.
By Lampdog Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 pm
Swing is good. Most times it gives me what I want.

Other times I want the manual control, meaning I want to manually control the ticks in step edit. Step Edit is one of the great things about an MPC. Yet and still use it however you want, just make sure you exploit every function you can to get where you wanna go, combining functions is very useful also. This meaning even knowing some functions that you don't really care about. That one day might come where you imagined a process and WHHHUUUUTTT, you will finally need that function. :lol: