Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Mr. Squanch Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:39 pm
Hi there, im having an issue formatting an external scsi hard drive on my mpc 2kxl. Its a 36.4gb hard drive and I'm running OS1.12

I'm not to sure if it's a problem with the hard drive or a software issue

Here are some pictures of the hard drive I got (it came with a power lead and scsi cable and some other adapter in the bottom scsi port)

And here's a picture of the screen that pops up when I try to format the disk

And this is the screen that pops up when I press any of the function buttons after the error code pops up

I'd really appreciate if someone could shed some light on my problem
By richie Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:11 am
You bought that hard drive off eBay didn't you? The drive you are using is very likely not terminated properly, that is why you're getting that error. Also, I don't get why the seller bent the 80 pin to 50 pin adapter so that ID 0 was not usable. Perhaps they wanted you to be forced to use SCSI ID 0.

Post a picture of the bottom of the hard drive. There may be useful information to explain why your drive isn't working.
By Mr. Squanch Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:31 pm
I got it off the guy who sold me the mpc, he told me he couldn't get it to work but I said I'd take it and try to figure it out. So what parts would I need to get this drive going?

I'm not at home at the moment but are you asking me to take a picture of the end of the hard drive that's connected to the 80 to 50 pin adapter, or are you asking me to flip the hard drive over and take a picture of the underside of it?

Sorry I'm new to this, as you can probably tell
By richie Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:02 am
It's easy to get confused with sh*t like this.

On the bottom of the hard drive itself, you'll see some small pin connections on the pcb. Some drives like that can be configured to run in scsi 1 mode. Thing is, thats a SCSI 3 hard drive that are very particular with how they interface with older devices. From what I read about that specific drive, there was nothing indicating in the manual that it was capable of operating on SCSI-1 mode which can be a majority of the reason why you're getting errors.
By Mr. Squanch Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am
I finally got around to taking pictures of the back of the hard drive. As I took the hard drive out of the housing an unplugged socket was hiding underneath, I'm guessing this should be plugged into one of the plugs with the bent components. See pictures below

I hope this is the information you were looking for :worthy: