Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000

By Lampdog Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:34 pm
Same here man, why don't people just do the cf thing ya know.

By EMFinite Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:39 pm
yeah that's what im going to do..

put the card readers in my mpc and pc...

By dsmith Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:12 am
thats what I did, Card reader in the mpc and a $10 usb card reader for the pc.
By DEEPDOWNINSIDE Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:01 am
Whats up Fam!

No one has mentioned compatibility. So, can anyone tell me if this works with a NON XL Akai Mpc?
By mr_debauch Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:49 am
I dont believe the compatability would have to do with what mpc you are using... it would have to do with what zip drive you are using... if the mpc has scsi then it will work if the zip drive has two ports (keep in mind the two ports are the same, each of them are wired together physically)

Re:

By os`kar Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:45 am
karl2kxl wrote:the mpc and computer would share the same zip drive. you would save files to it on the pc and then load them in the mpc. i can see big issues if the pc and mpc tried to access the zip at the same time...

There should be no problem with that!
the problems WILL occur while you try to save from a pc and an mpc to zip at a time.
but you can read and write to it from both devices at the same time as well.

Oskar
By matt underwood Mon May 08, 2017 12:33 am
just to refresh this topic: I have an SCSI zip drive for my mpc 2kXL as well and i was also looking for a USB to SCSI adapter.
1. it was really hard to find one, almost nobody sells it nowadays anymore. I found some on the web, but the want around 400 euros for it, which is crazy.
2. i also saw that there're also usb zip100 drives, which are much cheaper.. I found one for 40 euros and I bought it, with the risk it could not work on my Mac.
3. at the end, i get my usb zip100, plugged it to my 15 inch MBPr late 2016 with touch bar (used the original apple usb to usb c adapter for that) and see there, everything worked perfectly and i was finally able to transfer all my MPC 2kXL projects to my mac HD.
By JUKE 179r Mon May 08, 2017 2:27 pm
Just for the record...
A SCSI to USB cable can be used to directly connect an MPC to/from computer... BUT... You must have a SCSI card reader internally installed and only use an Microtech branded SCSI to USB cable. Not an Iomega cable. I could never get them Iomega shits to work.
I do this on my MPC2000XL with internal Microtech PCD-47B & SCSI2SD and MPC3000LE with internal RaizenMonster & SCSI2SD for faster transferring and editing samples on my PC (Win7) & Mac (10.10.5). No swapping of CF cards.

I really need to do a video of this process...
By richie Mon May 08, 2017 10:52 pm
Juke just so I'm clear - were you doing this with the XL turned on?
By JUKE 179r Tue May 09, 2017 1:10 am
richie wrote:Juke just so I'm clear - were you doing this with the XL turned on?

Yes. You need the MPC turned on to transfer files.
By richie Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 am
So you've got the MPC on, connect the USB SCSI adapter to the hd50 on the XL and it shows up as a removable drive on your workstation?
By JUKE 179r Tue May 09, 2017 12:22 pm
richie wrote:So you've got the MPC on, connect the USB SCSI adapter to the hd50 on the XL and it shows up as a removable drive on your workstation?

Yes it shows up as an MPC2000 folder on the computer as long as the CF card and/or internal hard drive is formatted as PC and not MPC2000.
I was going to list the parts needed to do this but I got confused with what I was doing already with the MPC3000 and the SCSI 2 USB.
I'll make a video this weekend.
By richie Tue May 09, 2017 11:37 pm
Yeah honestly, I've never heard of anyone doing this until now. So it's good information to know man, thanks.
By JUKE 179r Fri May 19, 2017 2:41 am
I didn't have time to do a video with my 2000XL. Since I was working on my 3000LE to sell, I connected it to my Mac to add samples to all the folders. All 26 partitions (A through Z) at 32MB from the 3000's internal SCSI2SD card with 1GB SD card show up on my Mac to transfer files.
It's almost the same set up for the MPC2000XL to connect to a PC/Mac minus a few other bits.