Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000

By phatbeats Tue May 25, 2004 12:13 am
You can't remove it completely.The 2000xL's filters aren't strong enough. The 4000 can do this probably or the Z4/8 rack sampler.

By fORtUnE Tue May 25, 2004 12:51 am
You cant completely remove the instrumental from a song theres still some of the instrumental on the tracks you've heard the producer just played come instruments over it to cover it up. Play around with EQ and noise filters on a pc if you have the chance.
By Lampdog Tue May 25, 2004 4:31 am
essentialist1 wrote:How is this done on the 2kxl and if so how is it possible? I have noticed obviously the most famous producers have done it, so I figured there is a way to do it. Help needed, thanks in advance!

You are wishing to hard, you can't completely remove mixed is sounds from a sample.

If the drums are hard mono and the voice is stereo or vice versa then yes u can do it. Other than that you are GOING to get background sounds coming through. You can try to drown out the background noises though with your own production.

By lowbudget Tue May 25, 2004 8:47 am
i basically have the same question & have asked it before but it never really gets answered. i have an xl. i dont have any effects but i desperately need some! i've heard the eb16 sucks but i was thinking about getting one anyway because i cant get a definitive answer. help me out here fellaz! :D

i think i need a good filter & some eq. am i right?

i know filtering doesnt work on every song/sample. i know you cant totally get rid of the other sounds. you just drown them out. you've heard queen latifah "unity" or "just another day"? i want to be able to do that. or have you heard lloyd banks "on fire"? that sounds like filtered chops of "tramp" to me. i want to be able to do that. & i really want to be able to drown out vocals like on kanye, common & malik yusef "do you wanna ride". i've toyed around with the eq on soundforge & have been able to achieve this but i dont have a zip on my computer so its not really worthwhile to implement it.

i was thinking about copping the eb16 AND the mfc42 & hoping that they could do what i need them to. then i thought about how stupid that was when for the same money i could probably find an asr 10 (which i KNOW does what i want)

By Cheech Tue May 25, 2004 9:21 am
Why don't you buy an external zip for you computer?
Costs almost nothing, and you can tweak the sounds there, then put the zip disk in your mpc. Easy as 1 2 3 !

I don't think eb16 or mfc42 is what you need.. And I don't think that you can get an asr 10 for the price of those two either.

By Science Tue May 25, 2004 2:10 pm
the zip thing sounds like a paln!!! get a usb one . thats what im going to do
By serano Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 pm
Simple, straight to the point, and I understood most of it. This is what I like to see. For people who don't have much knowledge of the craft, this is a great place to start. Helps that you're a good speaker, don't backtrack/stutter, and make progress in a cohesive manner. Very well done.
By FaiYme 1 Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:55 am
It's a sampler not a magic wand... part of the art is finding the records that have spots in the song where only the desirable instruments are played I don't recommend anything over 2 bars because if u have a sample that's 6 bars and u want to change the sequence at the end of the 2nd or 4th bar the sampl will continue playing and you want to have total control of the track. Some times it ruins the track.
Now I have heard that equapment like your looking for exists but from what I understand it about $15k-$20k and I also understand that the operator must be a jedi master of audio frequency in order to isolate and filter out the exact frequency of the undesired instrument... so the prosess could take weeks to get right . It's kind of interesting. Let me know if I'm wrong about anything, I havnt really kept up with the gear in a few years so if u find out anything, tell us.. but samplers dont do it