Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By bcitral Mon May 12, 2008 2:32 pm
Has anyone used the akai IB208P board in either of their 2000 classics or 2000XL.

Ive had the XL to bits and the board ribbon cable is too short which can be easily fixed.

Not had the 2000 classic to bits yet to see if it will reach without modification.

Got it cheap so it may be worth a try.

Does anyone have a MPC 8 out board out of the sampler who could take a close pic of the mounting bracket for me?

Apprehiate it. ???

B

UK
By _Stilo_ Mon May 12, 2008 7:29 pm
It is sold as add-on for the 2000 and 2000XL, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work. If you don't have the correct mounting plate for your MPC model though, you will have to make something from scratch to mount it.

This is mine, the phone jacks are attached with some special washers, to support it and for grounding I cut a small metal sheet from some spare computer parts (on the lower left corner). Ribbon cable is from the floppy I don't use anymore. This is in an XL though.

By bcitral Mon May 12, 2008 7:54 pm
That looks like a nice little mod job _stilo_.

I think Ill put it in my 2000XL and sell the 2000 at some point.

Was the ribbon cable soldered in place on yours?

Cheers B
By bcitral Tue May 13, 2008 7:53 am
Mine is, so its going to be slightly more tricky to fit. ???

Ill let you know when I get around to it.

B
By _Stilo_ Tue May 13, 2008 9:20 am
Yea, I don't know much about the 2000. But a simple PC floppy cable for $2 should do the trick also for connecting the 8 out board.
By bcitral Thu May 29, 2008 2:52 am
Just for the record, it works great and cost £25. The cost of S series parts are very cheap now so if you have any tools skills, its the way to go.

B

10 outs!!
By Joakim_L Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 pm
Just got me the expansion from a s2000, mounted it without the plate using mounting nuts on the outputs.

But the floppy cable is the thing i dont know how to fix really. The cable is fixed to the expansion board. So it seems I cant exchange it with another. Someone fixed this? Is the only way to solder a new cable to it?
By _Stilo_ Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:15 pm
Fung45 wrote:
_Stilo_ wrote: the phone jacks

You lost me

Yours didn't come with a connector to attach your cellphone for easy MP3 transfer?
By bcitral Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:29 pm
Its easy.

Trace the ribbon cable back to the mounting on the board and take off the plastic clip that holds it on. Its just a simple ribbon holder with tiny blades that pierce the ribbon to make a contact. Mark off number 1 pin, so on re assembly you know which way round it goes.
get another old cable from a junk PC and press it on. Simple.
Crap instructions though.

Ive done 6 or them now. Be careful taking the top clip off as you don't want to break it.

B

UK
By peterpiper Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:49 pm
If you're experienced with the iron solder than you could desolder the ribboncable and put a socket in its place

or

peace
By Joakim_L Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 pm
bcitral

Thanks alot! I see how it works now, managed to remove the top clip. Not to hard when you get a little help :)
Now im just on the hunt for an old computer for the new cable. But that wont be a big problem.

peterpiper

Yeah! I was thinking about doing that too. But im not really experienced when it comes to soldering so that was my last way to go.

You've been very helpful, thanks.
By bcitral Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 am
get a pair of small flat ended pliers. Cut your new cable with a stanley knife and a steel ruler. Then use your pliers to gently push the new cable onto the connector blades. They will go in further than you think so be firm but gentle. Treat the card like a beautiful women.......oh hang on, Im drifting...

;-)

B
By BlackImpact Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:48 pm
bcitral wrote:Just for the record, it works great and cost £25. The cost of S series parts are very cheap now so if you have any tools skills, its the way to go.

B

10 outs!!

Wow, did you get that off of the UK ebay? If not, where? PM me if you have to. I can do this modification, plus I'm a PC technician and I have a ton of parts like IDE cables laying around. Hit me up.
Peace
S II