Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Donlong Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:32 pm
I just read this comment by Pete Rock

"
But, in response to the MPC's less warm, slightly dead sound, the producer implemented two strategies that preserved the boom in his boom-bap.

“Before I sample anything into the MPC, I always EQ my sounds first,” Rock says. “I just use an old GLI Pro mixer that I got hooked up to the sampler. It's not a great mixer, but it has three basic bands that I can equalize on. If you want your sound to be heavy on the MPC, you need to EQ. For kicks, I have [tape] markers that I leave on the EQ knobs. The markers give me a range that are gonna make the kick boom. I have the same type of markers for the hi-hat and the snare. Every time I sample anything, I use those markers as a reference.”

I'm assuming this would be done by a dj mixer you would use in conjunction with a turntable WHILE you record into the mpc? or would have to buy a rack equalizer?

any experience or ideas on how to set this up? this is the first time i have read this comment by Pete Rock or heard of this process...
Last edited by Donlong on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Clint Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:48 pm
Filtering and EQ are two different things. Lots of people EQ before they sample and lots of people filter before they sample if they need to. Nothing new here.
By Donlong Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:09 pm
buddy maxwell wrote:
Donlong wrote:
I'm assuming this would be done by a dj mixer you would use in conjunction with a turntable WHILE you record into the mpc?

Yes

awesome man. i just panicked because i have spent so much money the last thing i needed was an extra expense on top of my dj mixer.
By Donlong Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:12 pm
clint246clint wrote:Filtering and EQ are two different things. Lots of people EQ before they sample and lots of people filter before they sample if they need to. Nothing new here.

my bad i made an error in the topic and wrote 'filter' instead of 'eq' its 3:30 am in australia and my brain is slowly shutting down.... i have only been producing this year and have not purchased my turntable/ dj mixer yet so this was new for me.
Last edited by Donlong on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Donlong Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:15 pm
Nojus wrote:anything will do - outboard eq, software eq, filter unit (like akai mfc42), dj mixer, etc.

Cool man thanks for the info. So the eq can be done on the dj mixer too that is pretty cool cos i will be buying a dj mixer for christmas.

Are there any general ranges guidelines for the eq settings for the samples (vocal/ instruments) and also drum samples? for example a book i should read or internet article, or do most people just learn through trial and error. i want to educate myself to get a great warm sound.

thanks again everyone....this forum kicks ASS!
By deck daddy Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:54 pm
Donlong wrote:
Nojus wrote:anything will do - outboard eq, software eq, filter unit (like akai mfc42), dj mixer, etc.
Are there any general ranges guidelines for the eq settings for the samples (vocal/ instruments) and also drum samples? for example a book i should read or internet article, or do most people just learn through trial and error. i want to educate myself to get a great warm sound.

Use YOUR ears when you turn the EQ knobs, and YOU will hear the effect YOU want while turning. You don't have to read articles on frequency ranges to do this, you only have to use your ears.

When I think of warm sound, I think not too brittle and bright and sharp highs, and a bit much much low mid area. Not too much of the "extremes". Kind of..
By Donlong Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:52 pm
clint246clint wrote:Start by looking here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20082

This is for instant gratification: http://www.homemadehitshow.com/EQTips.htm

Never forget, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND! Just type a question into the search field.....

thanks alot as always... its 5 am and im still reading articles and learning more lol this addiction is becoming anti-social LOL i love it.
By Donlong Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:53 pm
deck daddy wrote:
Donlong wrote:
Use YOUR ears when you turn the EQ knobs, and YOU will hear the effect YOU want while turning. You don't have to read articles on frequency ranges to do this, you only have to use your ears.

When I think of warm sound, I think not too brittle and bright and sharp highs, and a bit much much low mid area. Not too much of the "extremes". Kind of..

cool thanks for the advice...
By beach_break Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:25 am
you'll probably want a three band eq dj mixer, not a two band eq mixer.

Donlong wrote:...
Cool man thanks for the info. So the eq can be done on the dj mixer too that is pretty cool cos i will be buying a dj mixer for christmas...
By Donlong Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:47 am
beach_break wrote:you'll probably want a three band eq dj mixer, not a two band eq mixer.

yeah cool thanks. also should i shell out abit more cash and get one with more effects...im assuming that the effects will work in a way that the sample will be recorded into the mpc with those effects, or it better to record the sample dry with just some eq?

ps. I dont have an outboard mixer. thanks