Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By inflict3 Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:35 pm
yo, anyone **** with the new beatmaker update??? i liked it sooo much that i took my mpd32, took a usb cable and soldered a 4AA battery hub to it, got a project box that velcros to the top on the mpd over the screen and my ipod touch docks into the line 6 midi mobilizer attached to the black project box.. now i have a portable jjos basically, with a fat padded mpd..i have midibridge running in the background sending beatmaker its midi messages, i think this is only necessary when using a ipod/iphone.. thinking of doing a workflow vid soon... shit has a hiccup here and there, but its fun as hell!!!
By inflict3 Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 am
no one??? :cry:
By Metatron72 Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 am
inflict3 wrote:no one??? :cry:

Well there's me who generally manages to use everything under the sun except the MPC's I have, yet still mostly just posts here. :lol:

Yeah man I was impressed with the new update. The way you can quick load the sounds to make kits now is so simply implemented but a huge feature. I have 2 64GB iPads so I fill that app with everything. All my BPM/UVI sounds, all my drum libraries and sampled drums. Hell I have Maschine's entire library in there. :lol:

Definitely do a vid yo. Hats off on the battery mod, f-ing genius man.

I have the Alesis dock so I've used a fat padded 32 myself with BM2. I had noticed one day that the BM banks started way down at MIDI note #1, so I made two PGM's in the 2500 to cover the 8 banks. That was kind of cool to have BM2 synched to the MPC. Easy way to have 24/96khz sounds in the mix, an extra 256MB-1GB of usable RAM (depending on what iOS device I use, I have the CCK too and class compliant MIDI interfaces here too).

You factor in iOS audio copy/paste, the ability to sync multiple apps, and this monster that is Audiobus on the horizon, it's a very attractive setup provided you can afford it. Because to be fair the iPad is still a premium luxury item unless you you buy an older model at a discount.

Obviously no PC/Mac running is big for a lot of folks, but interfacing a setup like this with a computer is bananas 10x. It usually starts that I need to route MIDI. So I launch Live, set up some routings. Before too long I'm racking FX chains left and right and using live like a giant FX rack/tape recorder.

Amazing times to be doing digital music if you stop and trip off it all. :smoker:
By Deck Lazer Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 am
inflict3 wrote:yo, anyone **** with the new beatmaker update??? i liked it sooo much that i took my mpd32, took a usb cable and soldered a 4AA battery hub to it, got a project box that velcros to the top on the mpd over the screen and my ipod touch docks into the line 6 midi mobilizer attached to the black project box.. now i have a portable jjos basically, with a fat padded mpd..i have midibridge running in the background sending beatmaker its midi messages, i think this is only necessary when using a ipod/iphone.. thinking of doing a workflow vid soon... **** has a hiccup here and there, but its fun as hell!!!

hey inflict
mind posting a pic or two?
i was thinking of attaching a battery hub to a controller to have a more portable solution with bm but dont know where to start. not a technical persone at all.

btw why do you need the midibridge? i found the app useless most of the time.

cheers.
By inflict3 Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:35 pm
http://instagram.com/p/QnN5dvle4H/?fb_s ... er_message

hopefully this shows up.. if not i can post it on photobucket. i was using the ipod touch to take the picture, thats why its not docked in the box, the 4 batterys are running the mpd, and they still havent needed to be recharged, the ipod has had to be recharged 3 times now :-D midi bridge is so beatmaker can receive the midi message, for some reason it only can using ipad unless u use midibridge.. weird..
By Lampdog Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:30 pm
By Deck Lazer Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:13 pm
inflict3 wrote:http://instagram.com/p/QnN5dvle4H/?fb_source=og_snowlift_photo_user_message

hopefully this shows up.. if not i can post it on photobucket. i was using the ipod touch to take the picture, thats why its not docked in the box, the 4 batterys are running the mpd, and they still havent needed to be recharged, the ipod has had to be recharged 3 times now :-D midi bridge is so beatmaker can receive the midi message, for some reason it only can using ipad unless u use midibridge.. weird..

thanks man. with the ipod touch it looks much sleeker for sure.
i bet alot of people would be very, very interested in a more indepth tutorial on how you accomplished this. if you ever have the time to post - that´d be great.

the need for midibridge maybe bacause of the line6 interface. non of mine (yamaha imx, io dock) have any problem using midi with bm natively.

btw i think beatmaker is really an excellent sequencer and getting better and better.
i dont think sysex will ever be implemented but apart from that - love it.

cheers to lamp for posting the pic direct.

d
By SmoothyD Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 pm
inflict3 wrote:yo, anyone **** with the new beatmaker update??? i liked it sooo much that i took my mpd32, took a usb cable and soldered a 4AA battery hub to it, got a project box that velcros to the top on the mpd over the screen and my ipod touch docks into the line 6 midi mobilizer attached to the black project box.. now i have a portable jjos basically, with a fat padded mpd..i have midibridge running in the background sending beatmaker its midi messages, i think this is only necessary when using a ipod/iphone.. thinking of doing a workflow vid soon... **** has a hiccup here and there, but its fun as hell!!!

Nice setup man. I may give that a shot with my Ipad. Been waiting on the MPCFly to come out, but this will be cool to try until then. BM2 is a beast!
By acronym Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:48 pm
Whoah!!!

So if I buy a MPD26 or 32 I can plug this with a camera kit and powered usb hub and have a portable mpc?
By Metatron72 Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:57 pm
acronym wrote:Whoah!!!

So if I buy a MPD26 or 32 I can plug this with a camera kit and powered usb hub and have a portable mpc?

Add a class compliant (no driver) USB to MIDI box or cable to that and the answer is yes. Grab some Fat Pads too if it's gonna be an MPD. (The stock mounting has too big a gap to be useful except in full level mode, the Fat Pads solve the whole issue.)
By Lampdog Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:17 pm
acronym wrote:Whoah!!!

Exactly why I took the advice from inflict, Distortedteckno, djames, and a few other members who were already into ipad beatmaking, then I ran with it. I am HIGHLY satisfied making beats on my ipad 3 while traveling or just sitting on my couch not wanting to light up all the studio gear. (Sunrizer and Magellan handle all my synth needs).
By master-ceo Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:25 pm
I fux wit it. Sick mod my man. :!:
By acronym Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:34 pm
This is insane.

I love to see a video of Beatmaker in action with an external controller. Is it difficult to set up once I have all the hardware.
By Metatron72 Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:46 pm
acronym wrote:This is insane.

I love to see a video of Beatmaker in action with an external controller. Is it difficult to set up once I have all the hardware.

Nah, just kind of an unholy mess off cables and doohickies. :lol:

I'm using the Alesis dock now, but with CCK I remember that there's no way to have the AC adapter plugged in as the dock is blocked by the CCK. You mentioned powered hub, and yeah you probably need one to juice the MPD's. Mine was on a DC plug and I actually used standard MIDI cables to go into an E-MU 2x2 USB/MIDI box. But you could use USB as well. I also had a korg nanoPAD going and that got enough power from the iPad I think. I also used a 2500 to send MIDI to the iPad, that was cool as well.

Here's a link to a list of MIDI hardware that works (the list might be older) http://synth.me/node/2673

And this was a CDM article on CCK/MIDI a while back - http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/02/h ... resources/

No Beatmaker vids in the CDM article but there are a bunch of videos that will illustrate the CCK/MIDI/App convergence.
By acronym Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:07 pm
I have iconnectmidi just need to grab a mpd and mod it.

Still if anyone can do a vid, would love to see one.