Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By ralphie Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:07 pm
When the Microtech PCD 47B multi card reader i got from ebay came in i had to figure out how to install it. Luckily thanks to this forum and www.mpc2000xl.com i found it quite easy to do. To make it even easier for the ones that will do it in the future i'll post the pics i made of the installation.

I will leave the uncovering of the bottom to your imagination, it is probably covered on this forum somewhere (use search). It takes 15
screws at the most, some where missing from mine.

Locate and unscrew the disk drive, bottom left:

i unscrewed the brace that holds the disk drive because one of the screws wouldn't come off the disk drive. this is not nessecary, you can also directly unscrew the disk drive and place the PCD

This was the hardest part for me. Fiddling around with the scsi cable to make it fit between all other components and cables.

I cut a surplus disk drive power supply frokm my computer and just stuffed the stripped ands in with the existing connectors cables. You might be more thorough and cut the old connector and solder them.

Happy happy, a super flexible storage interface added to my MPC!

Disclaimer:
Any modifications done are at your own risk. Opening and installing might damage your MPC. This modification is not supported by Akai.

Have fun!
By trunxlucent Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:03 am
From hooking the scsi cable to the drive itself, then to the mpc motherboard, I got confused, how does that work again??

Talk as if im a baby!!!

THANX

TRUNX

By juniorcartel Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:04 am
Standing , and the link to buy the card reader ?????

By DM0NEY Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:14 am
so what is a card reader?what is it?its flash rom zip and floppy combined to gether?and how much do they cost?and is reliable?BREAK DOWN YALL!

By dj dcypher Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:05 pm
DM0NEY wrote:so what is a card reader?what is it?its flash rom zip and floppy combined to gether?and how much do they cost?and is reliable?BREAK DOWN YALL!

This drive is the microtech PCD-47B. It has three slots - PCMCIA, SmartMedia and Compact Flash.
By ralphie Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:17 pm
trunxlucent wrote:From hooking the scsi cable to the drive itself, then to the mpc motherboard, I got confused, how does that work again??

Talk as if im a baby!!!

THANX

TRUNX

The scsi connector is on the mainboard next to the PSU (power supply) and above the floppy and IDE connectors.
Look at my 4th pic, the scsi cable/connector sits under the flat cable that has blue writing. Try to locate this in the first picture (it's in the top of it ) to get the idea where to look. It also says scsi next to the connector on the main board.

Bybeatcreator Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:40 am
Nice Work! :D
Where did u purchase your drive and can any other card reader drive work?

thanks

By dj dcypher Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:08 pm
Here's some additional images from my install.

This is the power supply that I used.

Here is the power supply after the modification. (Not pretty but it works, lol)

Here is the drive connected inside the MPC.

Another image of the drive in the MPC.

Here is the front of the MPC after the install.

Here is the format screen after the install.

By ^Owni Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:43 pm
Nice Pictures 8) Thx

By dj dcypher Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:56 am
No problem, hopefully it will help some people out.

By perennial Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:33 am
I just got mine on eBay and I am quite excited to put it in once my scsi cable arrives! I had to dig around a lot to find the info and I am pleased we are all sharing and helping!

I have heard it will always look for the floppy, have you found a way around this, and/or, is it totally annoying?

With my external zip, it automatically defaults to scsi-5, which is cool, I was wondering if when you load/save it will default to the CF and not warn about no floppy found.

Also, are you using any of the jumpers besides the terminator?

By hecto Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:05 am
how much did you pay for that reader? im thinking bout gettin one too

By dj dcypher Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:46 pm
perennial wrote:I just got mine on eBay and I am quite excited to put it in once my scsi cable arrives! I had to dig around a lot to find the info and I am pleased we are all sharing and helping!

I have heard it will always look for the floppy, have you found a way around this, and/or, is it totally annoying?

With my external zip, it automatically defaults to scsi-5, which is cool, I was wondering if when you load/save it will default to the CF and not warn about no floppy found.

Also, are you using any of the jumpers besides the terminator?

The MPC won't search for the floppy. I think that's only with APATI/IDE drives because you are connecting them where the floppy was. I have not had that problem at all.

You have 7 available SCSI ID's on the MPC 0,1,2,3,4,5, 7. The MPC itself is set to ID 6. The PDC-47B needs 3 IDs. I have mine set up like this:

PCMCIA - 0
SmartMedia - 1
Compact Flash - 2
External Zip - 5

In the load/save screen there is a set-up option at the bottom of the screen. Select this set-up option, F4 I think. From this screen you can set the defalt SCSI ID. Set it to the Slot you are going to use the most.

Look at the 3rd picture I posted on the right side where the drive is. On the left side of the drive the terminator should be off, or taken out. Then on the right side of the drive there should be a pin in the first position.

Hecto - I got my drive for $40 off ebay.

By scraxed Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:51 pm
Is it possible this modification or somthing similar 4 the mpc2000 classic?
I've tryed to search and i've find the s2000 modification but not the ansewr if it's good also for the mpc2000...