Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By wiz1der Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:28 pm
Back in the day there was a mod for the 60 that changed the outputs to +10. This made the machine sound waaaay better.

Is there anyone doing audio upgrades on the 2000xl? Swapping op amps, changing capacitors and such for a fatter sound?

Forat? anyone?

By binger0 Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:29 pm
go into mixer then options and u gain boost the unity gain? i dunno if thats what its called, but thats the overall gain up in that field.

By NOVA Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:07 am
Yes. Forat. It's like 150 or 200 bones to modify any model MPC 60 - 4000. It's actually listed on the web site as "output boost modification"
Works on 8 individual outs as well as the stereo outs. From what I understand it changes the outputs from unbalanced -10 level to balanced +4 level. I don't know anyone who has had this done but i would be interested in hearing feedback from someone who has.
By binger0 Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:32 am
wiz1der wrote:Is there anyone doing audio upgrades on the 2000xl?

he is lookin for the 2kxl fix which i have allready gave him.

By ntalec Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:49 am
If you compare the output of an XL to the 60 it's definitely different.
You shouldn't need any mod to make your XL louder.
Checkout what binger0 was talking about.
If your samples are good, it's no problem with them sounding loud coming out the XL.

If you check the spec's you can see the XL has more output:

MPC60
stereo = -3dbv at 600 ohms
indv = 0dbv at 600 ohms

MPC2000xl
stereo = +11dbu at 100 ohms
indv = +11dbu at 100 ohms

Remember dbv is the same as dbu, dbv was changed to dbu since it was constantly being confused with dbV.

By mpc4000xl Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:37 pm
ntalec wrote:If you compare the output of an XL to the 60 it's definitely different.
If your samples are good, it's no problem with them sounding loud coming out the XL.

MPC60
indv = 0dbv at 600 ohms

MPC2000xl

Remember dbv is the same as dbu, dbv was changed to dbu since it was constantly being confused with dbV.

COOL ISH AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By wiz1der Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:00 pm
ntalec wrote:If you compare the output of an XL to the 60 it's definitely different.

MPC60
indv = 0dbv at 600 ohms

MPC2000xl

Actually dbu and dbv are NOT the same thing. But thanks for trying to help.

See http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm for more info homie.

And also, I am not simply trying to make my MPC louder, I am talking about fundamental changes in the character of the sound, by replacing op amps inside the mpc. This is like changing cartridges on a turntable. Some sound a lot better and fuller than others.

By ntalec Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:29 pm
dbv and dbu are the same
dbV and dbu are not the same.
As I stated there was confusion as to people using dbv and dbV not understanding that they are the not the same ref.
So dbv was renamed to dbu to stop the confusion.
dbu is the replacement .775 volt rms reference.
That's first semester study.
Anyway, again if you are trying to improve your sound you would come out better improving the signal path that you using with the MPC.
Example, improving the OP's in the MPC and using a cheap signal path won't really improve things.
The OP's in the MPC are good so improving your signal path with the DI on something like the Avalon U5, Vintech 72 or API and using something like a PSX, Rosetta 200 etc is what will get your sound up.
Any improvement you gain at the OP level has 2 things to watch out for;
1) will the rest of the path kill the benefit
2) will you still be able to set up proper gain staging to get the s/n you need to hear the benefit.
You can just get a better return without having to mod the MPC.
Louder is just perception not improvenment.

By wiz1der Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:01 pm
ntalec wrote:Louder is just perception not improvenment.

thanks for the info. My question again is not to make the mpc louder.

I have no problem with my signal path. I understand there are a lot of ppl on here with just an mpc running into thier pc but I am not one of those people.

I just asked a specific question about the mpc, not how to build a studio.

Let me try this a different way..

Does anyone have schematics for the mpc 2000xl?

Not trying to dis you homie, I'm just trying to clarify my original question. I actually do appreciate you coming forward and rsponding with some info.

Thanks

By ieism Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:31 pm
You could e-mail forat and ask them what exactly they change. They charge up to $300 for it, so i'm sure it's not just the gain that increases, as this would also increase noise and not many people would be interested in such an upgrade.

By binger0 Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:46 pm
300 for the 60 upgrade. i dont think they would do anything for the 2kxl. I would just get a nice preamp or something along thouse lines in ur signal path.

By ntalec Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:09 pm
wiz1der,
here's what Forat said about the boost mod;

You'll notice a big difference on the 60! It's -10 db right now and we will bring it up to +4. The 2000XL can only come up a few db more so will take it up as much as possible.

Like I was trying to say the 60 needed the mod more than the xl since the xl is different.
You probably don't get your money's worth on the xl that's what I was getting at.

one

By mpc3000 Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:26 pm
"Does anyone have schematics for the mpc 2000xl? "

Anyone that has had even minimal training in electronics can see the signal path on something simple as the outputs and not need the schematics.