Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Blue Haze Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:59 am
Bar/Beat/Ticks=1:01:000 Now field

This is very basic so everyone may know this already or not .

For drum programming in the sequencer we have the values of

Bar/Measure

Beat/Quarter Note

Ticks/Sub-beat aka ppq

When drum programming with the time signutare of 4/4 we will have 4 quarter notes followed by Sub-beats. 1, 2, 3, and 4 your quarter rhythm and everything else in between those notes.

When using timing correction/error correction aka quantization you can basically set how fast, slow and number of sub-beats between each quarter note.

The sub-beat aka subdivision you choose will depend on how much faster the notes you`ve been playing are than the quarter note.

Eighth notes eight notes in a bar two between quarters

12 notes 1/8 triplets 12 notes in a bar three between quarters

16 notes sixteen notes in a bar four between quarters

24 notes 1/16 triplets twenty notes in a bar five between quarters

32 notes thirty notes in a bar 8 between quarters

the 4k goes up to 32 triplets, and 64 triplets up to 960 notes between quarter notes I ll let you do the rest of the simple math or just use your grid mode if you have a hard time and observe it visually.

Each note is represented by a value unit 1/8 quantization for example is two notes 000 and 480 cuz the resolution of the quarter note is 960. At say 1/16 which are four notes of 000, 240, 480, and 720. Which looks like on the screen*

1:01:000, 1:01:240, 1:01:480 and 1:01:720 then 1:02:000, 1:02:240, 1:02:480, and 1:02:720 and so on.

With this little info you can better understand your Now field in Main page, Step edit, and Seq Edit pages. You can step program and real time program what you want.

Some others can say the sub-beats also work out as durations yes that is true. However when thinking for drums and drum programming and timing of any sequencer from a jack in the box to Logic the sequencer looks at music as a grid . This grid of track events happen over a time measure with sub-beats between the quarters or whatever your time siqnature is set.

Just trial and error and don`t be afraid of mistakes.

Just some tips and tricks cuz either the haters love or hate cuz I won`t stop being me.

And it true the more you learn what those numbers on hardware mean, graphs in software mean, and words mean in a manual the less diffuculty you will have doing what you want to do.

Napolean Hill check it out on how to think out problems.

Playing the dozens on the internet and drinking rants can be destructive in the long run to the forum EVEN when it can be a laugh of the ******* so I chill for a bit to check the number of tips posts, the number of constructive discussions posted, and the amount of help given in that time. Hmmn well one thing that is sure is that you can`t change people they can other change themselves so ranting is no use.

Post techniques, tips, experience or like the 3k. 2k, and 1k brothers if you can or ideas if you haven`t any tips and someone could test it out.

Any gear, any tool can do whatever you want, Cuz you the user can do it.
By Kid Captain Coolout Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:54 pm
Yall already know i'm a newbie so, this topic is definitely for people like me. I'm glad you've explained this all like this Blue Haze. I've been using the Step-Edit function like a kid with a new bike. I started out with just a "kick-snare" 1-bar sequence like you suggested in a post you made a while back. Then as i started seeing the midi-notes from my sound module and midi-keyboard show up...that's when things really started to change for me.

I have a note pad right next to my 4000 on which, i write down the note numbers for the timings and durations that work perfect for my tracks. My note pad looks like the stock market boards on Wall Street. You'd think, i'd have taken the time out to know what these numbers mean since i spend so much time in Step-Edit but...i never did. This one post has launched my understanding of many things on a whole.

I can tell that i'll be able to program a dope beat, everytime, from just the Step-Edit and Seq-Edit pages. I was working pretty well with just trial and error - i have lots of patience for working the hard way (lol). I just wanna make a damn beat sometimes! But now that i know what those numbers mean exactly...it's a TOTALLY different game for me. I really dig the fact that you always take your time to post things like this. Some people may never use the knowledge, some may already know it all...but then there's people like me...thanks again Blue Haze. I read this post from beginning to end and was 100% on the same page, none of this flew over my head.

P.S. For you other Expert Members, what good is knowledge when you hoard it for yourselves? Keep posting the goods for us newbies, we aint going nowhere but up.
Last edited by Kid Captain Coolout on Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Blue Haze Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:00 pm
You`re welcome :D

By Altopiano Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:24 pm
4k durations ... hth

whole dotted triplet

1/256 15 (22,5) 10
1/128 30 45 20
1/64 60 90 40
1/32 120 180 80
1/16 240 360 160
1/8 480 720 320
1/4 960 1440 640
1/2 1920 2880 1280
1 Bar 3840 5760 2560
2 Bars 7680 11520 5120
4 Bars 15360 23040 10240
8 Bars 30720 46080 20480
16 Bars 61440 92160 40960
By Kid Captain Coolout Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:58 pm
Thanks for that article homie...that was some pretty cool reading. And thank you too Altopiano, for the durations list, you guys have been a great help to me.

By Altopiano Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:44 pm
np - ur welcome ... numbers were origianlly in a table ... now they look like a mess - but couldnt post em any better ... had em in an excel sheet - so if ya copy and paste em into an excel sheet or similar ... they should be fine ... prent em out :lol:
By Lampdog Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:01 am
Kid Captain Coolout wrote:Yall already know i'm a newbie so, this topic is definitely for people like me. I'm glad you've explained this all like this Blue Haze. I've been using the Step-Edit function like a kid with a new bike. I started out with just a "kick-snare" 1-bar sequence like you suggested in a post you made a while back. Then as i started seeing the midi-notes from my sound module and midi-keyboard show up...that's when things really started to change for me.

I have a note pad right next to my 4000 on which, i write down the note numbers for the timings and durations that work perfect for my tracks. My note pad looks like the stock market boards on Wall Street. You'd think, i'd have taken the time out to know what these numbers mean since i spend so much time in Step-Edit but...i never did. This one post has launched my understanding of many things on a whole.

I can tell that i'll be able to program a dope beat, everytime, from just the Step-Edit and Seq-Edit pages. I was working pretty well with just trial and error - i have lots of patience for working the hard way (lol). I just wanna make a damn beat sometimes! But now that i know what those numbers mean exactly...it's a TOTALLY different game for me. I really dig the fact that you always take your time to post things like this. Some people may never use the knowledge, some may already know it all...but then there's people like me...thanks again Blue Haze. I read this post from beginning to end and was 100% on the same page, none of this flew over my head.

P.S. For you other Expert Members, what good is knowledge when you hoard it for yourselves? Keep posting the goods for us newbies, we aint going nowhere but up.

You are a model citizen, keep striving big man..

By Legitimate One Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:34 pm
Many thanks to everyone who is into helping out us noobs.... Ive owned my MPC 4k for a couple months (probably 3) but it just sat there as I was making tracks because its not that user friendly and lets face it...i had business to attend to....but thanks to many of you i have decided to use my MPC for all of my drum tracking...so even though it feels like ive taken a step back in my beat production i know once i start to really understand this beast ill be way ahead of the game.

Thanks to all

Legitimate One

By feline1 Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:00 pm
If there's one thing makes me ill,
it's Americans calling bars "measures",
and crotchets "quarter notes"

JEEZ GUYS! :lol: language perverts

1 breve = 2 semibreves = 4 minums = 8 crotchets = 16 quavers = 32 semiquavers = 64 hemisemiquavers = 128 hemidemisemiquavers

:lol:

By Blue Haze Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:43 pm
Get over it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yardie

By MPC 4 ME Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:29 pm
If theres one thing that makes me nervous is being in te same room with a pink guy who says : "jeeez guys"
.. makes me wanna put a plate in my pants.

By feline1 Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 am
Yeah I know, it's true, all gay men are anal rapists.

Why I raped 5 people only the morning, and I only went out to get a pint of milk too!

By eknocbeats Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:17 am
Sounds like a lot of milk, you sure you had only 5 men..............lmfao!!

By hitechsoul15 Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:25 am
hey, im a total mpc 4000 newb,got it about a week ago, and the main problem im having is being able to record a loop in a track, it doesnt give me enough time to fit the whole thing. How can i go about changing this, i was reading into the newbie bible about turning the tc off, but im still not understanding it, any body want to help me with this, id appreciate it.