Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By destruktiv Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:17 pm
sorry for the bad english

DON'T TRY THIS, WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE A IRON SOLDER. THIS IS A RISKIE MODIFICATION AND WHEN YOU MAKE A MISTAKE YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR MPC

on the last weekend i installed a card reader (microtech pcd-47b) to my mpc 2000 classic. here i post some pictures, how I do it. sorry, but the pictures aren't perfect.

mainboard scsi port mpc top:

backside

after solder:

power and drive

drive:

display:

Image[/img]

for the operation I use:

http://www.ccr-computerclub.de/lam2/schnitt/scsicab.htm

solder iron
internal scsi cable
internal power cable 5v gr gr 12 v
some screwdriver
wire cutter
insulating tape
hot glue gun to isulating

a saw for the metal in the front

some problems:
the card reader was longer then a disk drive
so i must modificate the metal in the front with a screw and use only two screws to fix it.
Last edited by destruktiv on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By pt3r Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:27 pm
This is some nice info you posted here, but to all the people who want to try this at home make sure you know wtf you're doing. Not everybody has the skills to operate a soldering iron without turning their mpc into a pile of dead electronics and scrap metal. This is some pro mod we're talking about not just installing an 8 out board or an EB-16 (which is already too difficult for some).

By Lampdog Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:52 pm
pt3r wrote:This is some pro mod we're talking about not just installing an 8 out board or an EB-16 (which is already too difficult for some).

By dgny Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:02 pm
this should be on an episode of mythbusters........... damn that is genius. props to you. mad skills

By nanoloop Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:29 am
can you just solder on a socket to put the ribbon cable into, instead of having to do each wire seperatly or is that asking for too much.

By Soundtrack_Galaxy Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:30 am
i wish i could do that to my 2K, the lack of PC conectvity is killing me.

By jazzbee Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:21 pm
lol it looks barbaric but a very good idea, no doubt a few people will give it a try.

Good work :)

By destruktiv Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:08 pm
nanoloop wrote:can you just solder on a socket to put the ribbon cable into, instead of having to do each wire seperatly or is that asking for too much.

i have solder any wire seperatly direct on the socket.

some information.
the cardreader is terminated
i can also use the extarnal scsi port.

By fysja Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:50 pm
amazing..

By formantix Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:22 am
so this is it ? lol

its a cake man, just practice a bit if/when you're a noob

By fuji Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:35 pm
You're a genius :D

By 3rik Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:54 am
what internal zip drive would you recommend to do this instead of a card reader? and could you please more pics of the cable connecting onto the card reader itself?

By Peter Project Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:13 pm
I think I'm going to do this. I got the soldering skills, but my SCSI knowlege is a bit limited. I'm curious though. The 25 pin D-sub connector has 25 points, but doesnt' internal SCSI cable have a 50 point connector?
This post is brilliant. You should post some clear pics!
-PP

By pt3r Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:37 pm
3rik wrote:what internal zip drive would you recommend to do this instead of a card reader? and could you please more pics of the cable connecting onto the card reader itself?

SCSI of course. this whole thread is about creating an internal SCSI connector for the 2k Classic.

By mikemix Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:11 pm
@ destruktiv, THNX!
Internal Zip works fine!