Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Pilchard Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:57 pm
Just for the record and for all those newbies that pop-up on here with zip drive questions, here is a definitive guide to using zip drives with your MPC.

Before Plugging in or unplugging your zip drive, make sure both the drive and MPC are switched off. Failure to do this can result in a blown SCSI fuse, almost certainly making a trip to the repair shop necessary.

=========================================================================================
====================================================================================
==

SCSI zip drive

These can be identified by two switches on the back. One is the TERMINATION and this should be set to ON, unless you are daisy chaining to a further device.
The other is the SCSI ID #
This should be set to #5
If it is set to #6 it will cause a conflict with the ID of the MPC.

You cable to the MPC should be plugged into the port marked ZIP

This zip drive can be used with the MPC 3000 and the MPC 2000 using the 25 pin cable that originally came with it.

The SCSI drive can also be used with the MPC 2000XL using a 25 pin to 50 pin(known as SCSI 2 or 50 pin half pitch) cable.

=================================================================
==================================================================

Parallel Zip Drive

This type of drive cannot be used connected directly to the MPC

However, it can be connected to the parallel port of your computer and used to transfer files to and from a disc that you use with your mpc eg. to transfer files between MPC and computer and back.

================================================================================
==========================================================================

Zip PLUS drive

This is a hybrid drive, designed to work either as a Paralell drive or a SCSI drive.

It automatically detects whether it is plugged into a Paralell or a SCSI port and also self terminates when it is not daisy chained to another device.

The drive has a single switch on the back to set the SCSI ID#, and the word AUTODETECT.

I myself have used one of these drives with my MPC3000 for many years without issue BUT the more knowledgeable members on this forum warn against them so, to avoid problems, they are probably best avoided.

===============================================================================
=================================================================================

USB Zip drives

These cannot be connected directly to any MPC, even those with USB ports. ** They can however be used with your computer for transfering files to and from the MPC on a zip disc.

++++ +++ +++

** EDIT {[( Lord Toranaga has informed me that USB zip drives can be used with an MPC4000 )]}

+++ +++ +++

They can be identified by a USB type B socket on the back and the the word USB.

===================================================================================
=======================================================================================

=============================================

A word to those transfering files between MPC and computer
Where possible reserve a special zip disc for transfer purposes. Don't use a disc which has other essential files on it. It may save you from losing valuble saved files if problems occur.

============================================================================

Forum regulars, Please contribute your knowledge below

.[/b]
Last edited by Pilchard on Tue May 01, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Byharlej Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:39 pm
Very useful post. Thanks for that :)

By Lampdog Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:42 pm
Fkn AWESOME.

P, can you also post this in the USEFUL LINKS thread, just copy and paste.

By Pilchard Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:55 pm
Have done just that Lamp.

By DrNo Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:38 am
Good info. I found much more stability with Zip 250s (Disks and Drives) over 100s... I try to avoid using a xfer disk at all because it always seemed to lead to problems...

By pt3r Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:33 am
Perhaps we should make this a sticky 'cause nobody ever seems to read the useful links :roll:

By nanoloop Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 am
ZIp's are shite

By djobserv Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:41 pm
so whats the proper procedure towards using an external drive (not just zip) when powering everything on???

should i power the mpc on and then power on the external scsi device? or in what order should i do it?? i tried asking before, but i didnt get a response....

thanks in advance!!

By pt3r Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:43 pm
first zip then mpc.

By Pilchard Tue May 01, 2007 5:44 pm
Thanks LT. Have amended the above^^

By fasttrackpimp Wed May 02, 2007 5:52 am
pt3r wrote:Perhaps we should make this a sticky 'cause nobody ever seems to read the useful links :roll:

I second this. Lots of people ask about zip info it would be best put where it would be most visible.

By BlazinBeats Thu May 03, 2007 3:17 am
Hey thats good info, so are you saying if i have a scsi zip to my mpc 2000 and then a usb zip to my computer i can load sounds on the usb zip then put that zip disk in the mpc 2000zip drive and load the sounds? does that makes sense
:roll:

By fasttrackpimp Thu May 03, 2007 6:35 am
/\ Yes that can be done. I think you have to format it first with the pc with fat16,I'm not 100% on that.Remember to keep your file names to 8 characters or less,thats the only time it wouldn't work for me. My zip transfers have worked fine when I just make pgm's with mpc editor or mpcpgm maker.