Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By thelox10 Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:43 pm
sup,

I realized that if I try to record from my MPC 2kXL to my computer it wont record in stereo.
Im not an expert at this but it sounds like the songs is recorded into my PC in mono.

I am using this Interface to record from my MPC to Audacity:

https://www.thomann.de/de/art_usb_dual_ ... YAQAvD_BwE

Now is it because of the Interface or because of audacity?

thanks
By tapedeck Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 pm
are you using both outputs on thempc?
are you using both inputs on the art_dual?

is audacity set to record a stereo track?
By tapedeck Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:53 pm
is your sample source mono or stereo?
make a track in the mpc with one pad playing 1/8th notes and pan that pad full left (mixer screen). make another track with a different pad / different sound playing the same 1/8th notes, but pan it hard right. this way we can guarantee what is coming out of the mpc is in fact stereo. choose sounds that are very different so you can be sure.

so the track in audacity shows two sides to the track?
are they the exact same?
is one completely silent?
are they different (stereo) and they just sound mono?

continue to narrow things down and we'll figure it out.
By thelox10 Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:12 pm
you mean if it is recorded in 2 different tracks into audacity? yes.
they basically just sound mono, like sounds that are on the right or left in my MPC turn out to be like in the middle when i record it into audacity, if you know what i mean.

i will test it with the 1/8th notes, thank you.
By tapedeck Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:14 am
thelox10 wrote:you mean if it is recorded in 2 different tracks into audacity? yes.
they basically just sound mono, like sounds that are on the right or left in my MPC turn out to be like in the middle when i record it into audacity, if you know what i mean.

i will test it with the 1/8th notes, thank you.

just a guess - are you creating two mono tracks in audacity or one stereo track?

if you are making two mono tracks, you have to pan each one left and right.

if you create a stereo track, it will do it for you.
this is an important part - audacity treats a 'stereo track' differently than a 'track'. maybe post a screenshot?
By tapedeck Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:57 pm
ok great that picture confirms you've got that part of audacity working right.
yea that looks like a mono signal coming out of your mpc.

definitely try two different sounds, one panned hard left and one panned hard right so we can see what happens there.
By thelox10 Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:05 am
ok i tested it today

i tested it with the same sound, one copy was full left, one was full right.

and i realized that audacity isnt even capturing the full right sound, it only receives the full left one.

so i guess either my mpc output, the cables, or my interface is broken

what do you think?
By thelox10 Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:22 am
i put the cables in the other way around and basically now the right one is received by audacity and the left one not.
By thelox10 Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:59 pm
im not sure if its the cable thats broken, the interface lights up as soon as a sound is received and both inputs left and right receive a sound.
By The Jackal Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:44 am
THROW IT IN THE TRASH

Man I hate it when people don't throw stuff out! If it doesn't work or serve it's intended purpose anymore, get rid of it! I used to have a pile of "cables & power supplies that don't work" instead of just trashing them! Ever notice how people looove to keep old lighters around too that sike you out? Wtf!

Rant over