Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By jesseowenastin Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:17 am
Hey, I'm using a classic MPC2000 with a SCSI2SD drive- it's working just fine, and booting up, but it's only allowing me to copy about 40MB of samples to a 8GB card. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions on ways to copy my samples from my mac computer to the SD card? Is there a third party software that I need to be able to access the partitions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
By jesseowenastin Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:10 am
Thank you, there's really just not that much information on that wiki having to do with ways to transfer data onto a scsi formatted SD card. i've downloaded the free version of Chicken Systems Translator, and perhaps i'm failing to understand how to use the software properly. I've formatted the SD card into 4 partitions of 600MB each, but when I look at the SD card in the app I see two drives with several partitions a-z (way more than 4) and when I attempt to copy sounds it tries to convert them to .snd files which i do not want. Not sure which partition to copy to, etc. Looking for a drag and drop solution as I have all my MPC sounds backedup to one folder on my mac.
User avatar
By JUKE 179r Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:12 am
Did you try changing the SCSI ID on the MPC2000 to "see" the other 3 partitions of the SD card?
What size and brand of card are you using?
User avatar
By Lampdog Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 pm
I heard so much awkwardness about 2k classic and it’s why I went with 2kxl.

I’ve even dealt with friends 2k classics and I understand why, 2kxl is more robust computer wise.

Also, mac’s and mpc are not best friends.

OS 1.70 add ability to save as WAV, you have to choose it, it’s not automagic.
Install OS 1.72
By jesseowenastin Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:12 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:Did you try changing the SCSI ID on the MPC2000 to "see" the other 3 partitions of the SD card?
What size and brand of card are you using?


yeah, i can get it to see the partitions, it's just that when i put the SD card in a card reader, hook it up to my mac, and drag samples to the card, they don't show up at all on the MPC.
User avatar
By tapedeck Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:15 pm
jesseowenastin wrote:
JUKE 179r wrote:Did you try changing the SCSI ID on the MPC2000 to "see" the other 3 partitions of the SD card?
What size and brand of card are you using?


yeah, i can get it to see the partitions, it's just that when i put the SD card in a card reader, hook it up to my mac, and drag samples to the card, they don't show up at all on the MPC.

this is likely because of the hidden files problem that macs have. macs created 'hidden' files that really confuse the mpc.

there is a program called cleanupsmbmess (clean up smb mess) that is supposed to help.
for me, it never worked perfectly and so i use a windows xp image on my mac for dealing with the mpc.
By jesseowenastin Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 am
JUKE 179r wrote:Did you try changing the SCSI ID on the MPC2000 to "see" the other 3 partitions of the SD card?
What size and brand of card are you using?



I'm not entirely sure how I would do this, as at the moment I can't even get the MPC to boot from the SD card in order to change the SCSI ID
By jesseowenastin Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:24 am
Lampdog wrote:I heard so much awkwardness about 2k classic and it’s why I went with 2kxl.

I’ve even dealt with friends 2k classics and I understand why, 2kxl is more robust computer wise.

Also, mac’s and mpc are not best friends.

OS 1.70 add ability to save as WAV, you have to choose it, it’s not automagic.
Install OS 1.72


i appreciate that, however, i used to drag samples directly onto floppy drives using a USB floppy drive and the samples and OS always showed up on the MPC. I would have assumed the same went for the SD, obviously I was wrong.
User avatar
By JUKE 179r Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:19 am
jesseowenastin wrote:
JUKE 179r wrote:Did you try changing the SCSI ID on the MPC2000 to "see" the other 3 partitions of the SD card?
What size and brand of card are you using?



I'm not entirely sure how I would do this, as at the moment I can't even get the MPC to boot from the SD card in order to change the SCSI ID

My bad. I only know the XL so I'm giving pointers that I know work on the XL. Like Lamp, I've never used a 2000 and I've heard they are finicky with files, folders and SCSI cards.

Try updating your OS disk to the latest version. I read from 2000 owners that it had better folder management with the (then) newer OS.

Also try using only 1 partition at 1GB on your 8GB card or try using a smaller capacity 1 or 2GB card.
User avatar
By Wal Martian Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:30 pm
jesseowenastin wrote:
JUKE 179r wrote:Did you try changing the SCSI ID on the MPC2000 to "see" the other 3 partitions of the SD card?
What size and brand of card are you using?


yeah, i can get it to see the partitions, it's just that when i put the SD card in a card reader, hook it up to my mac, and drag samples to the card, they don't show up at all on the MPC.

The files must be 16bit 44.1kHz .wav files. The file names must be 8 characters or less. I wouldn't use a Mac and expect it to work.
User avatar
By loose_t Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:14 pm
I have the card reader from mpcstuff and use it with the 2000 classic and a mac. Never had a problem.
1 gig card, formatted and created partitions on the mpc, mac sees everything. I know this info doesn't really help, but i doubt the mac is the weak link here.
By jesseowenastin Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:58 pm
loose_t wrote:I have the card reader from mpcstuff and use it with the 2000 classic and a mac. Never had a problem.
1 gig card, formatted and created partitions on the mpc, mac sees everything. I know this info doesn't really help, but i doubt the mac is the weak link here.


Part of the problem i'm experiencing is that I can't format the SD on the MPC because I can't get it to boot from the SD. I would have to take apart the MPC again, put the floppy drive back, boot from floppy, and then attempt to format the SD once that drive is connected. Admittedly, I've been avoiding this but it's starting to look like my only option.
By jesseowenastin Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:05 pm
jesseowenastin wrote:
loose_t wrote:I have the card reader from mpcstuff and use it with the 2000 classic and a mac. Never had a problem.
1 gig card, formatted and created partitions on the mpc, mac sees everything. I know this info doesn't really help, but i doubt the mac is the weak link here.


Part of the problem i'm experiencing is that I can't format the SD on the MPC because I can't get it to boot from the SD. I would have to take apart the MPC again, put the floppy drive back, boot from floppy, and then attempt to format the SD once that drive is connected. Admittedly, I've been avoiding this but it's starting to look like my only option.


what i don't understand is why i've been able to format floppy disks on mac osx for years, copy files to them, and have them show up no problem, but with the SD it's seemingly a completely different thing. It's very frustrating. Someone out there must have the holy grail of info i'm looking for that will enable me to understand scsi2sd and how it interacts with the MPC.