Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By stirfry Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:28 am
I have a problem and Im not quite sure why my 2000xl is doing this. I've tried to find forums online about this but haven't had much luck. Im a pretty new MPC owner and am definitely still learning so any information I'll definitely take to heart.
The problem is that when I bring in a sample from my computer and record it in and then chop it into zones and such and make it a 'new program', it turns all of the drums I have recorded in the sequence into the chopped sample, if that makes any sense.
for example: I'll have all of my drums on Program 1, and the sample is on Program 2. After I record all my drums on different tracks (usually 1-4) and then go to play the chopped sample on a new track, as soon as I switch the program on the new track to play the actual sample, it changes all of the programs on all of the other tracks, so it just sounds like I'm smashing the pads down and all of the chopped pieces of the sample are playing.
Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to fix/reinstall the MPC software or am I just a complete and udder idiot.
Please help.
By quietizkept Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:52 pm
Wait, what? You are using the MPC Software with a 2000xl? Why? Are you using the XL as a midi controller? I may be the idiot here, I don't understand your situation. Can you elaborate on your workflow?
By saltmcgault Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:06 pm
I would check to make sure that the program you have your drums on are on every track 1-4. Make sure track 5 is the program of the chopped sample. Name your tracks sequences samples and programs if you aren't already.

A lot of times after I make a track or 2 with samples on one program. I'll instantly go to the chop/trim mode and start jackin around with another sample I want to add or chop. As soon as I chop it up and make a new program, the program changes on the last track I was on to the new program I made. Don't quote me on it but I think it might change every track that had that program too. It sounds like a sonic wave of confusion until I switch to the correct programs on each track. It happens to me all the time. I hope this helps you out. Good luck.
By tapedeck Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:17 pm
load your drum program into DRUM1 and load your sample program into DRUM2.
then set your tracks to the different DRUM locations.
that sounds like what is going on.

once you get a hang of that, there are tricks you can use to make sure the proper program is loaded to the right DRUM slot, but that is a little advanced for now so just come back when you get the hang of it.
By Lampdog Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 pm
You are not fully understanding DRUMS and PGM's.

Once you record on a track DON'T change track type, DON'T change the PGM on that track, DON'T change the DRUM.

Easier to just change tracks and start adding on.

Recording is not permanent audio. It's midi, so IF you change any of the above your pad bangs remain BUT your source sounds change to whatever you have on other PGM's, DRUMS.
By Lampdog Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:54 pm
Correct.

2kxl has 4 DRUMS.
Programs are loaded into these drums slots.
When you make a NEW PROGRAM it places your new shit in DRUM1.
Whatever was in DRUM1 before gets moved to DRUM2. The problem is you previously recorded using DRUM1.
Your sequence will play using the new program in DRUM1.
Solution#1: Go to main menu and set the previous recorded sequence/track to use DRUM2.
Solution#2: Rearrange your DRUMS and swap 1 <-> 2.
By Multipreach Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:44 pm
Just remember that a programme is a basically a selection of sounds, if you spread them across DRUM 1 to 4 you won't have any problems. You can only play up to 4 programmes at any time so if you stick to that you will be fine.
By utpaphilly Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:46 am
Im new as well and having the same problem??? My XL is upgraded to the version yoy need to add the CF card could that ne the problem? I have tried to put samples on drum 2 but seems like they default to drum 1? And say My existing beat is on track 1-4? Track 5 does not play anything. But I dont think it the machine. I think im missing a important step?
By Lampdog Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:38 pm
utpaphilly wrote:... I have tried to put samples on drum 2...

How EXACTLY did you do this, detail the process.
By richie Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:47 pm
I keep cracking up every time I see the title of this thread.