Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By loudmusic Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Tilswa ... B000AS28UC

Shelter in place has me wanting to take up a project I've been putting off: fixing my MPC 2000XL.

I have almost everything I need except a soldering gun. I've never soldered before but I have some stuff to practice on. Is that soldering kit I linked above good enough for this task? What would you recommend?
By peterpiper Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:07 pm
Don't know the brand and how good it is (build quality, temperature stability etc). It 'looks' ok IMO but you should try to get more infos about it (reviews from experts, infos about the brand, where to get spare parts)

You probably heard about Weller. Thats what I would recommend cause these are soldeing stations you buy once and they probably still work in 40 years. But yes, the price.......

peace

peace
By richie Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:04 am
That amazon one is fine as it is temperature adjustable.

The main issue you have to be concerned of is your technique when soldering.
By JUKE 179r Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:04 pm
I’ve got an Aoyue 2703A+ soldering station for $300 ish. It’s very bad ass!
https://www.sra-solder.com/aoyue-2703a-all-in-one-digital-hot-air-rework-station
By JVC Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:52 am
I cannot believe how cheap that soldering iron station kit is! Almost too good to be true; temperature control tip, esd safe, extra tips... I hope it can last, but if it can last a few years, then it’s not bad buy. I have Hakko and I love it. I’ve gone through a lot of cheap irons, and Hakko was a bit expensive but it was worth it.
By loudmusic Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:09 am
I guess I should have mentioned a budget. I think $300 is too much for me to spend, so less than that if you can. I don't know how often I'll use this after this particular project, but who knows maybe I'll fall in love with soldering.
By JVC Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:53 am
loudmusic wrote:I guess I should have mentioned a budget. I think $300 is too much for me to spend, so less than that if you can. I don't know how often I'll use this after this particular project, but who knows maybe I'll fall in love with soldering.

I started with cheap soldering iron, and temperature controlled soldering iron, like the 65W Tilswall Solder Station, was way, way out of reach back when. so I'd say go for it, and even if it breaks after a few years (it is really cheap, considering the features, so I'd think that durability is in question) I still think it's not bad deal. It is more than enough to do soldering job on your MPC or other soldering project.
By 2Mb Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:32 am
If you are buying a soldering iron in 2020 or beyond, and your budget is about 50 bucks, GET THE TS100, it is miles ahead of these junky stations that can't tell you what temperature the tip is at.

2000xl in working shape are only getting more rare as time goes on, get a good iron in the price range and do the job correctly, a worse cheaper iron will cause board damage by the temperature sagging resulting in you holding the iron on the board for longer.

The last thing we need is more unsallvagable boards because someone who didnt know what they were doing used a junk iron for their first time soldering.

I know i am coming across harsh but the TS100 is only about $50 new and, even if this is your one and only soldering job you ever plan to do , you can re-sell the TS100 easy on ebay or anywhere it's very popular and make most of your money back. Whereas nobody will give you $20 for one of those irons with no digital temperature readout once its been used.

Suggesting someone needs a $300 station is absolutely absurd, even the venerable Hakko 808 used on production lines and workshops around the world is only $100 new.
By NearTao Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:36 am
+1

And practice on something before you dive in. It is not hard to solder and desolder but you do want to flub someplace else.

I will also add, like just about anything else... if you get frustrated, walk away and come back later. This stuff can get stressful and lead to making dumb mistakes. Take a breath and clear your head if you need to.
By jameslandry Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:49 pm
The Hakko FX888D digital solder station was my pick when I started my electronics hobby. Its compact design is perfect for the small tabletop I had then. Also, the separate soldering iron holder lets me place it in just the right place for my reach and the central unit closer to power outlets.