Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By monetprod Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:19 pm
Is there a limit on the number of files that can be stored on a partition using the MPC 2000 and an external scsi drive? There is 36 meg left but I can't save anymore files. I know that some older samplers did have some limits.

I'm trying to organize my library and knowing that number would help me decide where to put things.
By monetprod Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:15 pm
That can't be it. I'm well over that I know. I can't be exact but I think that I have counted somewhere around 530. This includes .snd .prg. and .mid extensions
By scsiforsamplers.com Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 pm
What kind of error message do you get when you try to save a file? Also, how many partitions do you have set on your SCSI drive (HD)?
By monetprod Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:05 pm
Yeah sorry about that:

Too many files !! is the error message

I have 8 partitions ... and the partition that I'm trying to save to still has 36 meg of space free. Also, I've tried saving program files as well as seq.

Thanx

I'm going to see if it does the same thing on a zip disk.
By scsiforsamplers.com Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:17 pm
Everything I have found indicates a limit of 512 files per directory. A partition would probably correspond to a directory in this regard. Are you sure you have more than that in one partition?
By monetprod Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:34 pm
I would say that I'm really close to that but I think I may have miscounted. I was counting in groups of ten so maybe I counted too many. There were so many files and of course with the screen you can only see so many at once. I think that you're right.

Bottom line is I can't use more of that space regardless of what I try.
I deleted a few files and I was able to add a big file that ate up more space so it's definitely the file count.

I've been working on my 2000 for many years and I know that there are quite a few limitations but this was the first time I experienced this. Love this machine but my entire system is much bigger now so the filing system is really starting to show it's age.

By Lampdog Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:57 am
File limitation for fat/fat16 is 512 entries on the root partition.

1 file = 1 entry
1 folder = 1 entry

Re:

By Nate Kush Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:41 pm
Lampdog wrote:File limitation for fat/fat16 is 512 entries on the root partition.

1 file = 1 entry
1 folder = 1 entry

This applies when it's only SND and other MPC files right ? I thought it was less because my computer couldnt put more files on it when there were still wavs present but after purging seems to load fine
By Lampdog Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm
A file is a file, no matter the extension.

Size of file also plays a part.

Either you will run out of room ‘cause of file limit
or
you will run out of room ‘cause of file size.
By Nate Kush Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:34 pm
Lampdog wrote:A file is a file, no matter the extension.

Size of file also plays a part.

Either you will run out of room ‘cause of file limit
or
you will run out of room ‘cause of file size.

Hmm true, it just seems that I can only hold 133 files on the root of a 900mb SD partition, but you say 512 is the max... After 133 files (79.3 mb out of 900), I have to put programs/sounds in folders and hot swap them to the root directory depending on what project im on, which kinda makes having a 900mb partition useless as I can just store the programs and such in my dropbox / computer.
Last edited by Nate Kush on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Nate Kush Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:36 pm
It just won't let me load any more files from my Mac to the SD and says the disk is full, but going to try and add more files directly in the mpc by recording in and see how far it lets me go...
By richie Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:28 am
Why are you spamming the forum with the same posts in multiple topics?
By Nate Kush Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:39 am
richie wrote:Why are you spamming the forum with the same posts in multiple topics?

Why is your name pretty rickie