Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By lesterpscrilla Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:05 pm
Hey i tried searching but nothing. I want to connect my Roland Fantom x6 to my MPC2000 classic and use the MPC as a sequencer. So here are some of the questions i have:

1) How many MIDI cables do i need?

2) Do I need a mixer?

3) What are the settings on the MPC as well as on the Roland Fantom X6

**note** - I've seen a couple of video's on youtube but they show how to connect it to the MPC 2000XL and i've tried it the same way but when i take the data wheel to track on the MPC and try to change it to "MIDI" it is not there it just shows track 1a-16a. So, i guess another question would be, where do i locate these settings on my MPC?

P.s. Sorry if this has been posted numerous times before.

Thanks in advance

Lester P
By Fung45 Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:37 am
USE THE SEARCH. You need 2 MIDI cables, in->out out->in(MIDI handshake). If you want to use sounds from more than one unit(MPC-drums, Fantom-cheesey r'n'b strings) then you need something with that many inputs (reciever, soundcard, yes MIXER). In main screen change drum to MIDI and pick your channel. Fantom should be in multi mode. USE THE SEARCH NEXT TIME.
By j rhodes Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:03 am
really man... u should learn one b4 the other

in a way theyre both "workstations" with tons of shyt to know. i hope u didnt buy both at the same time cuz ur gonna burn urself tryin to learn "how to produce" orignality.

using the mp as a seq is what most do...yet
both have sequencers. if u plan on doin 808 styled beats then take the mpc back and look for the drums on the x6 and learn its sequencer.

midi only has two routes: IN OUT. let ppl know what u wanna do wit it. do u wanna play the x6 and sample into the mp? or do u jus wanna seq drums with the mp into the x6?

the ?s u got are really broad and the equipment u have can be dope if u know how not to follow trends.
really if its all about seq type in midi time code or MTC and go from there, otherwise retire one of those pieces for a few months... peace
By feedbcknut Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:04 am
lesterpscrilla wrote:Hey i tried searching but nothing. I want to connect my Roland Fantom x6 to my MPC2000 classic and use the MPC as a sequencer. So here are some of the questions i have:

1) How many MIDI cables do i need?

2) Do I need a mixer?

3) What are the settings on the MPC as well as on the Roland Fantom X6

**note** - I've seen a couple of video's on youtube but they show how to connect it to the MPC 2000XL and i've tried it the same way but when i take the data wheel to track on the MPC and try to change it to "MIDI" it is not there it just shows track 1a-16a. So, i guess another question would be, where do i locate these settings on my MPC?

P.s. Sorry if this has been posted numerous times before.

Thanks in advance

Lester P

you really don't need a mixer you can hear through your headphones on the MPC