Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Zahir Thu May 14, 2009 2:22 pm
Is it possible you can install an 2.5" scsi hard drive inside the mpc 2000 xl?
If so, what's the largest size you can use?
By Maxillaa Thu May 14, 2009 2:44 pm
what kind of reader do you use?
if only floppy, I think it should be possible to connect a ide hard drive to the internal ide.

9 GB is the biggest supported volume.
By scsiforsamplers.com Fri May 15, 2009 11:04 am
Funny you should ask that (and I swear this isn't a setup) - I just started selling this really cool SCSI 9GB internal drive that uses a 2.5" notebook drive to provide fast, reliable, completely silent internal storage for your MPC2000XL. It only needs 5 volts to operate and can easily be mounted inside the MPC (provided there is room - I haven't determined that yet). It weighs 13 ounces and is just a bit smaller than a standard hard drive. Imagine having a fast, quiet 9GB of storage space in your XL, always ready to rock with your beats and samples.

Would someone like to be my tester for this product and help me determine if it will work okay in the MPC2000XL? There's a free drive in it for the right person! You should be comfortable working inside the XL and have a decent digital camera to take some installation pictures.
By Maxillaa Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 pm
I`d go with an internal ide to smart media adaptor with an 8 GB card fitted in.no moving parts, absolut silence and no heat....
By mr_debauch Sat May 16, 2009 8:01 am
ahh too bad I didn't see this sooner. I would for sure volunteer.

I planned on messing around with this type of stuff on my XL.

I wanted to see if I could somehow get more then one type of internal media type running inside the XL at the same time. My only problem so far is that it appears that there is only one power output with 5 volts comming off the mainboard... which makes it kind of a pain to have lets say... internal hard drive, CF reader, AND zip running at the same time.

that is what made me think of creating an external "dock" type piece.. similar to what they had for old laptops.... with zip, an HDD and maybe a cd rom, and possibly a cf reader mounted in it.

not sure though.
By scsiforsamplers.com Sat May 16, 2009 2:19 pm
:o Funny you should mention that - I am just finishing up building a super-rack for a customer that has two of these solid-state 9GB drives, a Microtech PCD-47B card reader and a CDROM drive. He has it all - plenty of fast storage, card reader for importing and exporting samples and CDROM for loading sample libraries from CD. Because i put in an extra-quiet cooling fan and the drives make no noise, this is the quietest rack piece you've ever seen. You can barely tell it is running. It's built in a Glyph Trip 3U rack and turned out really nice. Here are some pics:

That little toggle switch on the left bottom drive bezel is for enabling/disabling the PCMCIA slot on the PCD-47B. With so many drives in play, we figured he may need the extra SCSI ID and when you disable the slot, the ID number becomes free. Plus we put in a removable bay on top so he will never run out of storage space.

So it can be done - I'll be glad to do one of these for anyone or whatever special type of rig anyone needs. These can be built in tabletop cases as well for those who don't need a rack mountable unit.

The extra-quiet fan is the SUNON KD1208PTS3-6, for anyone who's interested.

BTW, for the record, Lampdog agreed to help me test this drive only if he returns it after the testing. He doesn't want it to seem he accepts gifts or anything and I totally understand. The dude has integrity. 8)
By larrytan Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:07 pm
I struggled for months with this. Something told me to move the jumper halfway up and BOOM!!!! It worked! Guys play with the jumper.Try a half-way position.I even removed the jumper.I got the "no floppy error.". I put it back on, halfway up, and its working.If I move the jumper up or down to far, it doesn't work. It's so weird, but hey!