Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By PushingButtons Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:59 pm
ive been messing with my friends 1000 and am finding that the mute group function is very useful (ability to mute all 16 pad, 2000 is limited to muting only 2 pads per pad). Is anyone using a 2000/xl and found a work around to have the ability to do this?? Software as a slave??..i like to do everything in-box, but I need to find a way to have this function. Seriously thinking of selling my 2000 now.
By Lampdog Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:29 pm
No mute groups on 2k/2kxl, only 2 pads just like you said.

Maybe chain mute pads together to get more pads to mute?!? Someone here I think tried it
before, can't remember who though. You lose recordable pads with that process though.
By stinktank Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:58 pm
Say you want pad 1 to cut off pad 2 and you've used up your two mute offs on pad 1 already. Make pad 1 SIMULT play another pad (e.g. pad 16) to which you assign silence (i.e. a silent sound). Now make pad 16 mute off pad 2. Pad 1 should now cut off pad 2. (Repeat the whole process if you need more than four mute offs per pad.)

Kinda annoying, but it gets the job done.
By PushingButtons Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:48 pm
yeah im aware of all the little tricks that can be done in box ..silence pad etc...but thats only useful if you know the sequence in which you want to play your chops... heres a good example of having the freedom to hit any pad and mute any pad...

http://vimeo.com/8731679

so in other words...im thinking of controlling a software pgm as a salve that i can load my chops in and use the mpc as a sequencer/master. i reallly dont use software and dont know which ones work well with the mpc... i
By stinktank Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:22 am
Put all your chops on note off, and just hold one pad down at a time. Poor man's monophony. :lol:

I'd definitely love to have that feature as well, but it can be worked around without sacrificing your creativity.
By DJ JEFF Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm
record all tracks w note off

then press solo and an empty track in the mute screen

here u go,total silence like a graveyard
By m56p87 Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:43 pm
It would be extremely tedious for individual samples, but when you use the 2k auto chop trick (using velocity params & 16 levels) it will spread your sample across the pads and if the sample is set to mono it will cut itself off. Like I said though crazy annoying if your not doing it with a loop, but in tandem with an already built beat can you give you good results.
By rageone Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:24 am
i was gonna buy a 2kxl today but this seems like a deal breaker... but let me get this straight...

you can set the mute off for example for pad 3 to mute pad 1 or 2 right? that's like 3 pads in a mute group...

could you create another "mute group" with pads 5 & 6 to be muted by 7 (and have 2 mute groups)? because i could live with that...
By peeping tom Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:27 am
once you create your sequences delete the tracks you want to mute. bit like the EPS, mute will mute the track in all sequences, so you gottsta delete them shits

doesnt seem like rocket science.
By rageone Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:57 am
i come from a sp404 env so im not really used to tracks... i am going to but thats not the point.

i was just asking if i could onlu have 3 pads in the pad off mode or after you set those, you can do the same for other 3
By THE ADVERSARY Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:37 pm
Bottom line is if Mute Groups is the desired workflow then get a unit that has it.
The workarounds are for people who already own the units not a reason to talk yourself into buying it.

Most people don't vibe well with the Note Off method only because they aren't use to working that way but it's actually a good method.
It makes your sequencing and chopping come from a more focused perspective since they have a more direct relationship.
By JVC Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:12 pm
If you really need mute group function, then I say sell your 2000 and get MPC-1000 or MPC-2500, or MPC-4000 (unit or software that has mute group function.)
But, I've been using XL and I've been fine without mute group function. I chop each samples small, and I would never use auto chop anyway.