Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Amber Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:55 pm
The pic didn't load for me before. So did he cut the cable and flip the other over then solder? I don't understand the inverted part.

I take it you just sand the plastic off both cables to get to the wires, join them with solder, put electrical tape around it and that's it?
By MPCHunter Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:21 pm
Amber wrote:The pic didn't load for me before. So did he cut the cable and flip the other over then solder? I don't understand the inverted part.

I take it you just sand the plastic off both cables to get to the wires, join them with solder, put electrical tape around it and that's it?

I haven't seen the cable from a DPS12, but if I had to guess, the exposed contacts are on the opposite side of the cable compared to a MPC 2000XL.

Since the ribbon cable is one-sided, they either flipped the connector on the DPS12 or reversed the pinout on the board. I don't think there is any cutting involved.

I imagine that if you lay the two LCDs side by side, you will see that the contacts face in different directions on each cable.

So to get it to work in a MPC, you have two options:

1. Replace the ribbon cable of the DPS12's LCD with the one from the MPC 2000/2000XL. You would be soldering the cable directly to the LCD's PCB. I doubt the heat from the soldering iron will cause any issues with the LCD unless you are not doing it correctly or heat the area up for too long. You are more likely going to melt the cable jacket before you harm the PCB or LCD.

2. Solder the two cables together as shown in the illustration. You shouldn't need to remove anything from the cables -- it should just be a matter soldering the two ends together. I would be careful not to melt the ribbon cable by holding the soldering iron on too long.
By Amber Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:19 pm
The second way would be better right? Since you could cut back a bit? I've not soldered much but have soldered wires to PCB boards on XBOXs from instructions. I just have no clue about electronics.
By mr_debauch Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:07 pm
scsiforsamplers.com wrote:That was the point of my earlier post - do it cable-to-cable, because you have a much smaller risk of heat damaging any components. Unless you are an expert with the soldering iron, I'd avoid taking the first option MPCHunter described.

unless you are an expert with a soldering iron... I would avoid doing this mod all together. **** playing with a delicate 300 dollar bill right there! hahaha!
By MPCHunter Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
scsiforsamplers.com wrote:That was the point of my earlier post - do it cable-to-cable, because you have a much smaller risk of heat damaging any components. Unless you are an expert with the soldering iron, I'd avoid taking the first option MPCHunter described.

unless you are an expert with a soldering iron... I would avoid doing this mod all together. **** playing with a delicate 300 dollar bill right there! hahaha!

I agree that it is not a beginner's project. however you are more likely to melt the ribbon cable before you cause thermal damage to the PCB by reflowing the solder on the pads. Reflowing solder on a pad should only take a few seconds at most -- if it takes a minute to heat it up, yes you may cause damage.
By ntalec Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:20 pm
I just did this mod and I will say if your tools and skills aren't up for the game you will end up being unsuccessful/unhappy.

I contemplated desoldering the cable from display and flipping it but instead did the cable modification.
The key is in proper preparation of the two cables, proper alignment as well as proper support while running your bead.
Using a specialized tip that is thin enough with the proper angle and a magnification lens will assure you don't create a bridge across any legs.

I kinda hated to do it since it was a mint in the box DPS12 with effects card, but it only cost me a few pennies so it was a good move.

I now have lots of tact switches and other parts that can also be used.

DPS12 Transplant

manimani wrote:I succeeded install DPS12 Screen.

Flat cable of DPS12 Screen is inverted array MPC2000's one.

MPC2000's flat cable separated LCD,and Soldered with Flat cable of DPS12 Screen.

[/img]
By twisted-roots Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 am
Grenozh wrote:
jazzbee wrote:lol maybe its time to switch to Hip Hop Ejay :P

double fixed
By beatronomic Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:52 pm
Tested it an soldered the cable inverted to the cable of the DSP12 display.
The display lights on, the mpc is booting normaly, but nothing will be displayed on the display.
Only white screen. All solderings are fine no bridges or loosing contacts....I checked it twice

Is there anything else what i have to do at the dsp12 display, if i want to use it in the MPC2000XL

In this tutorial the display was built in in a MPC2000 Classic..