Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Aries Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:07 pm
So i don't have onboard efx on my 2KXL and have always tracked into a digital recorder or pro tools to add efx.

Is the Efx card for the 2KXL worth buying? Its the only thing my Mpc is missing to be completely loaded...

Ive just always thought that the efx wouldn't be as good as the waves mercury stuff i use..or Psp, mcdsp or even the Pro tools revebs,delays etc.

Never really had a room full of mpc users to ask about it tho...so what do you all think?

waste of money due to everything i have software wise?

or could be cool and innovative and useful?
By sorinp Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:41 am
Pros: If you ever make beats away from your studio then it can prove to be useful... You'll have some internal effects to execute your idea...

Easy, direct, no need to mess with external gear, it's all there.

Cons: Can be expensive I suppose. External fx units and plugins can provide better quality.

I just bought the EB-16 a month ago and I like it personally. I use it for percussion like snares, kicks, etc. Does a good job I find. It gives my drums a nice old school sound.

You will no doubt get different opinions...
By Coz Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:51 am
If you have even the smallest hope of the EB16 sounding anything like Waves Mercury then you will be very, very... very disappointed if you buy it.
By Em.p.cee.j Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:14 am
I liked it in the MPC but found myself turning the fx off when trackin. It just gave me an idea of where I wanted to go sound wise. It now lives in my S3000xl. If I had to do it all over again... I wouldnt have bought it for the MPC.
By Aries Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:40 pm
Coz wrote:If you have even the smallest hope of the EB16 sounding anything like Waves Mercury then you will be very, very... very disappointed if you buy it.
Yea, i kinda figured as much..just wanted to hear from people that have actually used them, as i never have...
By korni Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:42 pm
If you know how to use it the it ROCKS!!!

It aint gonna sound like any external effects or the computer one's...

BUT

neither of the above can sound as the EB-16!!!

The thing is that none of the owners of an EB-16 will tell you it wasnt worth it.
Maybe other solutions are better but IT IS WORTH IT!

In general people talk about the sound of the mpc...
I believe that some can also talk about the sound of the EB-16

Peace
By sorinp Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:24 pm
That's what I was trying to say earlier about the eb16 and mpc going hand in hand, so many hits were done with this combo we don't realize it.
By mr_debauch Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 pm
korni wrote:
The thing is that none of the owners of an EB-16 will tell you it wasnt worth it.

em p cee j just did, and so am I....

okay they are not too great when that is all you have.. but for tracking out to the computer you best just use some other applied effect. especially when you got the waves collection.

if you can get the card for dirt cheap then do it... if you gotta drop 250-300 bucks like you often see people asking... spend that money on something better (kaoss pad or sp-303/404 or something like that)
By sorinp Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:43 pm
Yeah I agree, 300 bucks is kinda steep... You can get a mini Kaoss Pad for $150 ... this little unit is incredible, it is so much fun, you can really get creative in a 'David Guetta Euro Remix' kind of way.
By Aries Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:08 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
korni wrote:

okay they are not too great when that is all you have.. but for tracking out to the computer you best just use some other applied effect. especially when you got the waves collection.

if you can get the card for dirt cheap then do it... if you gotta drop 250-300 bucks like you often see people asking... spend that money on something better (kaoss pad or sp-303/404 or something like that)
Honestly i didn't even know the card was called EB-16 witch is weird cause i am tech nerd in most cases musically...I haven't even really looked into it ever...i remember seeing it on Mpc stuff at the time that i bought my black pads and flash drive. But it was $300 or more, and i know a ton of people that own mpc's and NOONE has it installed...so basically Ive never used it before or heard it (other than like someone said earlier about it being used in lots of old music witch i agree with 100%)i guess i have heard it..but to me a delay....is a delay. Reverb is reverb...I could almost bet you that i could make any plugin reverb or delay sound like that of the "eb16"...infact now you got me wanting to research the eb-16 and its settings.. and figure out how to set my other plugs with the same settings...lol.. anyway yea i don't think ill be purchasing it anytime soon unless it drops in price..I appreciate the opinions tho...thx
By mr_debauch Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:29 pm
Aries wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:
korni wrote:

Honestly i didn't even know the card was called EB-16 witch is weird cause i am tech nerd in most cases musically...I haven't even really looked into it ever...i remember seeing it on Mpc stuff at the time that i bought my black pads and flash drive. But it was $300 or more, and i know a ton of people that own mpc's and NOONE has it installed...so basically Ive never used it before or heard it (other than like someone said earlier about it being used in lots of old music witch i agree with 100%)i guess i have heard it..but to me a delay....is a delay. Reverb is reverb...I could almost bet you that i could make any plugin reverb or delay sound like that of the "eb16"...infact now you got me wanting to research the eb-16 and its settings.. and figure out how to set my other plugs with the same settings...lol.. anyway yea i don't think ill be purchasing it anytime soon unless it drops in price..I appreciate the opinions tho...thx

yeah basic 3 step delays can easily be done with 16 levels velocity. but the reverb is quite metallic sounding and just isn't that great, you wouldn't want to try and replicate it on pluggins. I mean I liked the eb16 for modelling new pad-ish sounding special effects but like... you add that reverb on say some vocals or something acoustic in nature and you will really see what I am talking about.

I mean go out and get yourself one if you really want to know, but dont spend a fortune on one. Dont get one over getting a good quality similarly priced effect unit such as a used KP2 or something like that... supposing you are in need of those specific effects. Sure they add some abilities to the machine, but nothing amazing.
By detter Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:51 pm
i'm interested in getting the efx card as well.

i'm particularly looking for advice on the filters and distortion, if anyone can give any?

it seems talking about waves plugs is somewhat missing the point? those things are state of the art studio tools, i'm more interested in whether i can get some good lo-fi grit from this efx card, whether the filters sound dirty and analogue, whether i can run my drums through the distortion and get some crunch before i overdrive them on my desk etc...

not too bothered about the reverb as i tend to use an ensoniq dp2 for that kinda stuff. but any more detailed info on practical applications of the efx card would be appreciated.
By Aries Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:42 pm
detter wrote:i'm interested in getting the efx card as well.

i'm particularly looking for advice on the filters and distortion, if anyone can give any?

it seems talking about waves plugs is somewhat missing the point? those things are state of the art studio tools, i'm more interested in whether i can get some good lo-fi grit from this efx card, whether the filters sound dirty and analogue, whether i can run my drums through the distortion and get some crunch before i overdrive them on my desk etc...

not too bothered about the reverb as i tend to use an ensoniq dp2 for that kinda stuff. but any more detailed info on practical applications of the efx card would be appreciated.

lol, yea sorry.. i do run a project studio so the mpc is basically just my sampler sitting in the middle of everything else. I have a cool free plug-in for adding that grit to any tracks tho.. its called "JB TIMEMACHINE" you can set it to any sample rate and mimik the sample engine settings of everything from the Sp1200 to the mpc etc check it out...you might want it since its free..lol...

Jb Timemachine -> http://freemusicsoftware.org/870

As for the card I'm sure its gritty and low fie...that would only make sense...but you can set waves plugs to do "gritty and low fie" too..jus sayin...
By freezeforce Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:01 am
detter wrote:i'm interested in getting the efx card as well.

the eb16 card is very useful for only 1 thing and that is the filter eq...u can make cold sounds into warm deep sounds by tweaking the highs mids lows it a bit...but make sure to turn the fm modulation off cause they are useless.