Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Maxillaa Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:08 pm
I started this tutorial 2 years ago and never finished it, maybe some of you are interested in it.....photo quality is fkd up, but you should get the essentials of installing a 8MB Flash-ROM into a Mpc 2000 classick. enjoy...

power off first, ground the machine, unscrew your 2000.Three screws on the bottom of the front panel.and the two on the sides.Image
three under the front panel,
and three in the back
it should look like that now
unscrew the pad and switches board with the upper screws
and the screw on the board below the cursor marked with arrows
you can lift the board, but be careful, it`s connected through a wire.that can be disconnected through pushing the pins on the left and right side of the connector.
the white connector is the place to be for the Flash ROM
these metal plate and these two screws hold the board in it`s place.
they should be fitted that way.note the side of the Flash ROM chips.

shown here is the jumper setting, both pins are down
By peterpiper Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 pm
I wish I woul have the Flash card. Would make my 2000 complete. But I rarly see them on ebbay and most of the time I'm to broke to invest in this card.
Thanks for the tutorial

peace
By mr_debauch Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:59 pm
great thread!

So that is not the same connector the eb-16 would be placed in or is it?

I assume you have your OS on the f-rom to avoid the need of the boot disk?
By Maxillaa Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:55 pm
mr_debauch wrote:great thread!

right, not the same connector.
Storing the OS in it is the biggest bonus. when I play live, I store my programs in it to avoid moving with my zip drive...
By mr_debauch Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:32 pm
Maxillaa wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:great thread!

right, not the same connector.
Storing the OS in it is the biggest bonus. when I play live, I store my programs in it to avoid moving with my zip drive...

awesome, yeah for sure THE expansion to own for the 2000 classic... I am not sure if the xl would need it quite as much. It also is the rarest and most expensive expansion for the machines too... I think maybe I have seen one for sale once on ebay and it was going for like 400 bucks.

Wouldn't it be sweet if it could be expanded to like 32 megs?
By Maxillaa Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:51 pm
rarest, defenitly. but not expensive. there`s one on german ebay for 90 euros...just as expensive as the 8-outs and fx-card.
sad to say, it`s not so reliable, I had a few crashes with it.
bigger would be better, there`s also a nearby similar expansion board by mutec, wich offers 16 MB but doesn`t work in the 2000 and XL....
By scsiforsamplers.com Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 pm
Why not just install one of our SSD units - they go from 1GB up to 16GB and are much cheaper than that thing. You can not only install the os but probably all your samples and beats as well. Don't pay too much for a Flash ROM (if you can even find one) when we sell a much larger and cheaper solution.

The beauty of our CF-SSD is that you can pop out the CF card, put it into a USB card reader and load up all your samples, beats, etc before you install it. We will send it already formatted and with os 1.72 installed.

By peterpiper Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:40 am
Wow. I never saw this before. Does this thing replace the Flash board or is it more like a scsi unit? It looks like it is placed on the connector for the flash unit but it also has that connector that looks like an internal scsi connector.

peace
By scsiforsamplers.com Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 am
No, it is completely separate from the Flash ROM. It is a SCSI device and mounts on the side of the
metal support wall. The install kit contains both the cabling to provide an internal SCSI connection
and a cable to draw power from the floppy drive plug (but the floppy still works). It installs very
easily and requires no modifications to the MPC at all.

Unless your MPC came with the Flash ROM, there is little point in paying what you'd have to pay for
an 8MB Flash ROM when you can buy the MPC SSD and get 8GB or 16GB (that is Megabytes versus
Gigabytes). We have them for the MPC2000 Classic as well as the MPC2000XL. More information is
available here:

MPC2000 Classic Solid-State Drive

MPC2000XL Solid-State Drive
By scsiforsamplers.com Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:09 am
Sure, I know that but my point remains - why spend all that money for 8MB of "permanent" sample memory when you can have gigabytes of available samples and up to 32MB that will autoload in a flash (no pun intended) when you power on the sampler.
By Maxillaa Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:04 am
...interesting, but nearly 300 bucks for that kit shipped to germany is out of my range.