Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Lampdog Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:29 pm
JUKEDOG 179r wrote:Trust us... We know! :WTF: :(
By JUKE 179r Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:41 am
Joey... A SCSI2SD V5.1 drive is an extremely better and a cheaper option than those other drives for your XL.
https://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCSI2SD-V5-1-bundle-with-white-3-5-bracket-p/scsi2sd-v5.1-bracket-black.htm
https://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=1264&currency=USD

All you'll need is the SCSI2SD drive, a mount bracket for it, a 50 pin SCSI ribbon cable, a mini USB cable for updating the SCSI2SD firmware and a flash card.
By joeyparedes15 Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:44 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:
All you'll need is the SCSI2SD drive, a mount bracket for it, a 50 pin SCSI ribbon cable, a mini USB cable for updating the SCSI2SD firmware and a flash card.

thank you juke! I really appreciate the feedback! definitely saved me A LOT of money ! :worthy:
By carefulwiththataxe Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:13 pm
Juke, to gain access to that 50pin header at the back can I unplug the ribbon cable that's coming across from the "voltage" area (sorry don't know the actual name for that bit!) I'm finding it difficult to get underneath it.

JUKE 179r wrote:Joey... A SCSI2SD V5.1 drive is an extremely better and a cheaper option than those other drives for your XL.
https://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCSI2SD-V5-1-bundle-with-white-3-5-bracket-p/scsi2sd-v5.1-bracket-black.htm
https://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=1264&currency=USD

By JUKE 179r Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 pm
Yes and No! That ribbon cable is for the screen. You can remove it but it's a pain to reinsert.
I say just snake the 50-pin cable under the screen's white ribbon cable and insert it into the SCSI male connector on the board. BE CAREFUL!!
By carefulwiththataxe Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Thanks for the heads up!! I'll get on this tonight and let you know

JUKE 179r wrote:Yes and No! That ribbon cable is for the screen. You can remove it but it's a pain to reinsert.
I say just snake the 50-pin cable under the screen's white ribbon cable and insert it into the SCSI male connector on the board. BE CAREFUL!!
By carefulwiththataxe Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 am
JUKE 179r wrote:I say just snake the 50-pin cable

Success! Juke thank you! I almost gave up on snaking it, but I managed to just sneak it under with doing any damage. Loaded up the firmware and formatted the card, good to go!

The 16gb card reads as 1gb, that's correct isnt it? Are you able to partition?

Also side note for those on the fence about installing one of these : it's very easy, all done with a Phillip's head screwdriver. I bought the inertial board with they bay (juke I think you linked it?) For 75 bucks. Bargain. I'm hopeless with electronics and I didnt kill myself. No more ZIP. :smoker:
By JUKE 179r Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am
Glad you got that SCSI cable sorted. It is a tight fit but it can be done. Make sure you snapped those 2 side locking tabs onto the SCSI ribbon cable to secure it in place.

I never used a 16GB card in my XL. What OS do you have on your XL? I always preferred OS1.14 when dealing with 8GB CF cards and partitioned it into 1GB sections (A-G).
By carefulwiththataxe Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am
I have OS 1.20
Yeah I already had that 16gb card in the house so thought I'd give it a whirl. Got the tabs snapped on, seems secure.

Does the mpc do the partitioning, or do I use the scsi2sd utility for that?

JUKE 179r wrote:Glad you got that SCSI cable sorted. It is a tight fit but it can be done. Make sure you snapped those 2 side locking tabs onto the SCSI ribbon cable to secure it in place.

I never used a 16GB card in my XL. What OS do you have on your XL? I always preferred OS1.14 when dealing with 8GB CF cards and partitioned it into 1GB sections (A-G).
By JUKE 179r Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:39 am
from memory I had both my 2GB and 8GB CF cards partitioned inside the XL but that was with OS1.14.
By carefulwiththataxe Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:05 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:from memory I had both my 2GB and 8GB CF cards partitioned inside the XL but that was with OS1.14.

Everything has been going great the last week. Now I just went so save a beat and it gave me an error message. Now its saying it theres no SCSI device when I reboot. What's happened there?? Loose connection? The mpc hasnt even moved..
By carefulwiththataxe Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:24 pm
Sorted it. Seemed one of the clips on the header wasnt all the way down. Was worried I'd done something to damage the whole thing due to my inferior handiness. Hopefully it was just the connection.