Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By ddrumguy Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:37 am
Ok, finally I have a working card reader in my 2000XL. I eventually found one that worked after searching the forum - but it took awhile of digging before I found it. My hopes are that a sticky could be made to help future owners not have to dig so much. All it would take is for people to simply share what they know and have it added to the sticky.

If you dont know what card reader is in your machine - you may want to check (most have stickers on them showing the model) and share the info, if you dont care to do that, thats ok too - Just tryin to help others not waste time and/or money or pull their hair out - i have done all three before finding a working reader.

So I propose if people would be willing to contribute, to share which drive, card they are using and the date (as we know this information changes as hardware gets older or non-existent)

anyway from my recent experience Dec 2010/Jan 2011

the Addonics AEUDMACF - does NOT work, I tried with the Sandisk ultra II 1gb card and also a Viking 512mb card - no dice

the Addonics ADIDECFB - Definately does work tried both Sandisk ultra II 1gb card and also Viking 512mb card and it recognized both immediately with no issues. Was basically plug and play - didn't futz with anything
By ddrumguy Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 pm
W. Steele wrote:+1

Would've saved me some cash cause I just got one from MPCstuff the other day for $100 to find out these $28 ones do the same job when I read this today .

Should've done some research before the impulse buy :oops: .

I completely understand where you are coming from... Time is a real issue for many people, myself included - sometimes people find it easier to spend the extra just to get something working - for me this was gonna be my last go round, if this reader didnt work I vowed to just sell the damn thing and go buy a maschine... I just dont have time to mess around with stuff like this anymore... dont feel too bad though, i had to buy two readers and another card to get a working solution oh and more (valuable) time trolling through forums to find out a card reader that actually worked....

OK so far we have

Dec 2010/Jan 2011

Addonics AEUDMACF - does NOT work
tried with the Sandisk ultra II 1gb card and also a Viking 512mb card
price paid (reader) $20.00, card (sandisk) $20.00 ebay

Addonics ADIDECFB - does work
tried both Sandisk ultra II 1gb card and also Viking 512mb card (both worked)
Price Paid -(reader) $20.00 ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Addonics-ADIDECFB-I ... 3364b6f00d

ADIDECF & ADIDECFB both work - which card/s ?

MPCStuff reader (any part numbers on it?) Cards/s ?

just wondering if it would be helpful to list what we paid
By ddrumguy Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 am
coolnoshoes wrote:hi
I bought the CF reader as suggested on here from Conrad electronics.
I get it and its 40pin or 44pin connections only.
The floppy cable in the MPC2000 is 34pin???

How are you guys connecting these???

thanks
D

What Reader? Brand Model #, what card are you using ? - most guys are using 40pin cable
By MPCHunter Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm
Floppy drives are not IDE drives.

You cannot make a internal IDE card reader work in a MPC 2000 on the floppy connector. You can use an external SCSI Card Reader on a MPC 2000, not an internal SCSI one without some modifications.

Some good content for this sticky would be a short explanation and pictures of the difference between floppy, IDE, and SCSI drives.
By JVC Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:26 pm
ddrumguy wrote:the Addonics AEUDMACF - does NOT work, I tried with the Sandisk ultra II 1gb card and also a Viking 512mb card - no dice

the Addonics ADIDECFB - Definately does work tried both Sandisk ultra II 1gb card and also Viking 512mb card and it recognized both immediately with no issues. Was basically plug and play - didn't futz with anything

I also tried AEUDMACF (which I spent 25 dollars), which is ATAPI device (means it is how-swappable), with MPC-2000XL. It did not work for me neither. I hoped that it would work (if it worked, it would've been cheapest hot-swappable CF reader for XL.)

I've just ordered ADIDECFB on ebay, 20 dollars with shipping. While it is not hot-swappable, I think I can settle with this. (There is a very long thread about this Addonics CF reader on MPC-2000 forum already.)
I think most of non-hot-swappable IDE CF reader would work with XL (you can find it sold as low as 2 dollars on ebay!), but ADIDECFB has nice chassis included. It is not easy to mount those bare board CF readers.
By ddrumguy Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm
Here is a chassis for bare readers that addonics sells for $3.75
http://www.shopaddonics.com/itemdesc.as ... KB&eq=&Tp=

if the post holes didnt line up with a specific card you could always remove the posts and drill your own holes and space the card with washers - a little bit of work, but between this and the $1.50 card readers on ebay that folks are talking about - one could theoretically have a working reader in their MPC for less than 10 bucks -- maybe??
By nogginj Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:55 pm
the $1.50 card readers on ebay that folks are talking about

Any more details on what these are, or how to find them?

I think you are doing a good job compiling the info. I would say use this thread as a rough draft, or at least keep the first post very tidy and clean with all the legitimate information you get.

I think it's a good idea to say if they are hotswap or not too.

To contribute, I will rip open my MPC at some point and try to get the model number of the one I got years ago.

Thanks.
By JVC Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:08 pm
ddrumguy wrote:Here is a chassis for bare readers that addonics sells for $3.75
http://www.shopaddonics.com/itemdesc.as ... KB&eq=&Tp=
if the post holes didnt line up with a specific card you could always remove the posts and drill your own holes and space the card with washers - a little bit of work, but between this and the $1.50 card readers on ebay that folks are talking about - one could theoretically have a working reader in their MPC for less than 10 bucks -- maybe??

I didn't know that Addonics sells the bracket alone... But you won't save much, since shipping & handling is about 7 or 8 bucks, and there is no guarantee that your choice of cheap IDE CF reader will mount nicely on the CF reader bracket.
Since you can find the 2000XL compatible CF reader for 20 bucks, I would not try to find the cheaper route.

But if any one find 2000XL compatible IDE CF reader that is hot-swappable and NOT dead stock, please share the info!

By the way (off the topic), why is internal SCSI port in 2000XL is located in such a inconvenient location?
By detter Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:15 pm
ok... i'm seriously looking at this - i want hot-swappable , and i do not want to be **** about trying to make brackets/drill holes etc (DIY is not my strong point!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0732787620

even with shipping to the UK where i live this seems like a great deal - works out around 80 GBP

any advice before i just go ahead and hit 'buy it now'? i mean, these sound like the shit, does anyone know otherwise?

thanks
By nogginj Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 pm
That looks a lot like the one I have, and the multi-card + hot swap is very nice.

I don't think it's a reported feature, but one of the coolest things, IMO, is that you can use an SD card + a CF card, and if they are both inserted, the CF card takes precedence.

HOw I use this, is I keep some stock samples on the SD card, and I use the CF card as my 'working' card. So whenver I need to pull from my 'stock' set (which is huge), I just eject the CF card, browse around the SD, and pull what I need.
Then, I pop the CF back in, and I can save to it as normal.

I do find it really handy, but I imagine if I couldn't hotswap, I'd get used to it very quickly...depending on how big a card you could use.

If you do get this, report here with the make/model #.
By detter Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 am
thanks man, you always seem to give good, measured advice.

i just copped one.

prob a bit of a wait for shipping to the UK but damn i'm excited! i will report on the model # etc and will no doubt seek some help with the installation etc...

now i gotta start looking for a USB card reader for transferring samples from my PC - any tips?

also any UK people know a good place to source both CF & SD cards from?

thanks