Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By bonecheckfoo Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:40 am
Sorry to bring this back from the dead... I'm trying to find a multi card reader that will work in my XL, SD + CF (swapping out my zip drive). Are any of these multi readers hot-swappable? Which ones are people using (model numbers and/or links)?? There's so much information in a bunch of different places that it's hard to find some def. info.
By modornge Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:47 pm
JVC wrote:So, I finally have the CF reader (Addonics ADIDECFB) delivered. I took photos while I was installing CF reader.

First, I made two holes on the bracket (I took out the eject button part, as it was already half broken):

plugged in IDE connector (from old PC) and power extension code that came with the CF reader:

The first two holes and the mounting parts from XL did not match! So drilled the 3rd hole:

It fits fine now:

I plugged in the CF reader:

CF reader is now mounted. cables are tied:

This is how the XL look with the CF reader:

I used Sandisk 2GB Compact Flash card. I formatted the card on XL. It works fine!
It seems that XL actually recognizes as a 2GB card. I was expecting XL to see it as 1GB card.

For testing purpose, I copied WAV sound library from PC (Mac OS X makes hidden files on each folders, which XL doesn't like much...) They show up on XL:

I'm bringing this back as well.. (MAYBE IT SHOULD BE A STICKY!)

JVC--I just ordered this card reader, and I'm looking at it, having just arrived. Thanks for the post. You mention that "Mac OS X makes hidden files on each folders, which XL doesn't like much.." -- I have only Macs! Is there a way to get around this? How can I use my Mac? Anyway I look forward to getting my xl going.. It has been sitting for a while unused. I also have some Ram memory on order.. Thanks
By JVC Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:35 pm
modornge wrote:JVC--I just ordered this card reader, and I'm looking at it, having just arrived. Thanks for the post. You mention that "Mac OS X makes hidden files on each folders, which XL doesn't like much.." -- I have only Macs! Is there a way to get around this? How can I use my Mac? Anyway I look forward to getting my xl going.. It has been sitting for a while unused. I also have some Ram memory on order.. Thanks

I use mac primarily as well.
If you are using the Addonics CF card reader (which is non-swappable), probably you can transfer files with Mac. I use VMware Fusion when I have to transfer files. It seems that swappable CF reader really don't like hidden files, so if you have those expensive XL compatible hot-swappable CF reader, never use Mac OS X.

I tried a few programs that clean up the unwanted hidden files that Mac OS X would leave, but none of them would clean up OS X hidden completely.

So, I transfer files on Windows XP environment, on my MacBook Pro. Get VMware Fusion or alike.
By tapedeck Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:37 pm
JVC wrote:So, I transfer files on Windows XP environment, on my MacBook Pro. Get VMware Fusion or alike.

this is what i have to do, but i use virtual box (its free).

somebody at one point put up a really clear how-to do this on the forums...maybe search virtual box.
By JVC Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm
tapedeck wrote:
JVC wrote:So, I transfer files on Windows XP environment, on my MacBook Pro. Get VMware Fusion or alike.

this is what i have to do, but i use virtual box (its free).

somebody at one point put up a really clear how-to do this on the forums...maybe search virtual box.

Whether which virtual OS app (Fusion, Virtual Box, Parallel, etc) you use, the idea is the same, you connect a USB CF card to the guest OS / virtual machine (Windows XP, most likely.) Of course you'll need USB CF adapter.

In short, it can be done with Virtual Box. Check the "USB" section in a virtual machine's Settings window. Then USB device is connected / mounted to the guest OS, Mac OS don't see it, so Mac cannot leave hidden files.
make sure that all the files for XL are in DOS name format (8 char maximum.)
By BassmanSam Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:37 am
Quality thread! I have been seriously looking to upgrade my XL to a cf reader from the floppy drive.

I was thinking of getting this 'hot swappable' reader - http://www.ebay.com/itm/260826991851?ss ... 1423.l2649

From what i've read on here it should work. But surely some UK mpc users must have some idea where you can get these in the UK?

Also I use a mac, slightly confused on the 'virtual environment' issue, I'd need to have virtual windows on my mac to store the stuff on the flash card??

Hope you guys can help me out!

Thx :)
By JVC Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:30 pm
BassmanSam wrote:Quality thread! I have been seriously looking to upgrade my XL to a cf reader from the floppy drive.

I was thinking of getting this 'hot swappable' reader - http://www.ebay.com/itm/260826991851?ss ... 1423.l2649

From what i've read on here it should work. But surely some UK mpc users must have some idea where you can get these in the UK?

Also I use a mac, slightly confused on the 'virtual environment' issue, I'd need to have virtual windows on my mac to store the stuff on the flash card??

Hope you guys can help me out!

Thx :)

The hot-swappable CF reader, I have no idea there they get it from. Let me just say that most of ATAPI CF reader won't work with 2000XL. The reason, I think, is that Akai tested XL's OS with only the CF reader that they bundled.

The short answer is yes, but you can edit all the files on OS X, then copy the folder(s) to your virtual OS, but make sure not to copy hidden files to the CF card.
I recommend NOT to transfer files between the CF card and OS X, just because OS X leave hidden files on CF card, soon it is mounted on Mac OS X. So far I haven't found solution for completely get rid of the hidden files (or tell OS X to not do it.)
By BassmanSam Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:07 pm
So don't get that reader? It seems identical to the one that 'Detter' had success with.

This virtual box program, do i just download it off their website and go from there?
By JVC Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:50 pm
BassmanSam wrote:So don't get that reader? It seems identical to the one that 'Detter' had success with.

This virtual box program, do i just download it off their website and go from there?

No, I'm sorry for confusing you. I believe that the hot-swappable CF reader works on XL (otherwise they've been lying for long time on eBay, which is very unlikely. and I think other member here already bought the drive from them, and reported here on MPC Forums.)

The point I was trying to make was that there are variety of ATAPI CF readers available, but they are most likely won't work with 2000XL. (for instance, Addonics sells a hot-swappable CF reader that connects to IDE port, but it didn't work on XL, yes I tried)

For virtual OS apps, I've been using VMware Fusion, and I'm happy with it. VMware Fusion is not free, but I think it is reasonably priced (about $45 us) and user friendly.

There are three virtual OS apps that I know; VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, and Virtual Box.
I can't say which one is the best, but I really like Fusion. I'm still using version 2, (the latest version is 4) but it works fine on my computer.
Regardless of your choice of virtual OS, you'll have to install Windows on virtual OS app, it does not come with those apps.

Or, if you have a old PC lying around you, you can just use it just for transporting files between PC to XL.
By modornge Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:58 pm
Another question regarding installation of the card reader: Am I correct in assuming I will need a cable that didn't come with the reader, to install it? What OS do I need to run on the 2000xl to get it to work with the reader? What cables are needed? Thanks.. Hopefully the install will happen today along with the RAM upgrade.
By locotesmjr Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 pm
modornge wrote:Another question regarding installation of the card reader: Am I correct in assuming I will need a cable that didn't come with the reader, to install it? What OS do I need to run on the 2000xl to get it to work with the reader? What cables are needed? Thanks.. Hopefully the install will happen today along with the RAM upgrade.

If you already have installed a floppy drive then you are going to need a 40-pin IDE cable, you can still using the same power cable from the floppy, about the OS you need the v1.20, also make sure you have a compatible CF card with this Addonics CF card readers (they are not hot swap, also only support up to 1GB CF cards)

If your MPC has the internal ZIP drive then you are good with IDE cable, but you are going to need a Molex to Floppy power connector adapter.