Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By ferrarijackson Fri May 11, 2012 7:11 pm
I'm newb sry guys but I'm trying to use my mpc 2000xl in a live setting and want to be able to quickly switch to different saved kits or "programs" i guess by saving them into a-b-c-d... i've been saving them using the save all programs and sounds.. as .aps files and every time i try to load another kit to a different bank it deletes the previous one i did

how can i load a whole sets worth of beats into the different banks and switch back and forth?
By mr_debauch Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 pm
well you can pop in another floppy when you got one loaded... and choose "load a sound" ... load each sound and push bank B ... load up each sound, and push the right pad now that you are in bank B... do the same for the next 2 sets of sounds. (this only works if your program takes up one bank)
By marrstians Sat May 12, 2012 6:13 am
load your first kit from your prg file. after, select your second prg file and load also. do not use load all programs, only select the prg files you want to use.

Shift 6 program screen, select drum 1, under Pgm: scroll to the program you want.
repeat steps for all prgrams you want, up to the 4 drum programs

on your main screen two things to look at - Tr: & S:

if you want to change from kit 1 to kit 2 on your sequence, change S: to drum 2, you should hear your second program playing your sequence now. change to drum 3 or 4 for your next sound banks

if you want to use more than one kit at a time, go to Tr: and select track 2, then change S: to your new program. You can now play up to 4 program banks on top of each other.

I'm learning pretty fast for only having my mpc for a week, hope that helps :)

PS. Make sure after you save your All files and sounds save, you have to save the program by itself. when you save all of them, it saves all four drum banks, so you need to save the individual prg file if you want to load on the other drum banks. All saves = Saving All 4 Drum Prgs. Save a program saves only currenly selected drum bank, example Drum 1.
By locotesmjr Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:23 am
marrstians wrote:load your first kit from your prg file. after, select your second prg file and load also. do not use load all programs, only select the prg files you want to use.

Shift 6 program screen, select drum 1, under Pgm: scroll to the program you want.
repeat steps for all prgrams you want, up to the 4 drum programs

on your main screen two things to look at - Tr: & S:

if you want to change from kit 1 to kit 2 on your sequence, change S: to drum 2, you should hear your second program playing your sequence now. change to drum 3 or 4 for your next sound banks

if you want to use more than one kit at a time, go to Tr: and select track 2, then change S: to your new program. You can now play up to 4 program banks on top of each other.

I'm learning pretty fast for only having my mpc for a week, hope that helps :)

PS. Make sure after you save your All files and sounds save, you have to save the program by itself. when you save all of them, it saves all four drum banks, so you need to save the individual prg file if you want to load on the other drum banks. All saves = Saving All 4 Drum Prgs. Save a program saves only currenly selected drum bank, example Drum 1.

I wonder if something similar can be done with the MPC2K Classic?
I just tried this with my XL and works as described, but when I select PROGRAM menu on the classic do not asked me to select from 1 to 4, it is just goes directly to the program I have being using...

Somebody knows?
Thanks.
By Lampdog Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:30 am
That is one of the differences between classic and 2kxl, there's no fix for that, that's all you get.

1 pgm on classic
4 pgms on 2kxl

It's in both manuals.
By Lampdog Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:50 am
Additional active programs was a big selling point back in the day when the 2kxl was released. I remember owning an asr x pro (red), I had a chance to use a friends 2k classic, I felt like I HAD to have it. THEN I found out about the 2kxl, with more of everything and went for that one instead. Glad I did.
By tapedeck Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:37 pm
also important to note that we're talking about DRUM programs 1-4, not pad banks A-D as described by the op.

what i do is make sure each program has a unique program number, then when i need to quickly load a new program, i switch to a sequence that has the 'prg' field of a track set to load that program into the correct DRUM slot.

you can very quickly swap out 4 simultaneous programs this way.
:mrgreen:

if you REALLY want to simply switch between pad banks a-d to get different programs, you just have to build ONE program that works like that. there IS a copy pad function that will copy a pad from one program to another, but you'd still have to copy each pad. it's not as bad as it seems, sit down with it one afternoon and just do it.
By Dick Head 123 Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:43 am
The answer is: you can't.
Apparently the designers at Akai are not musicians who actually create music. It's only logical to want to load a set of drums to each pad bank. That's the most practical use of them. You'd think that after all these years they would have figured this out, but naw. Another fail is that tracks mute across all sequences of a project, which prevents another obvious production technique of muting tracks during a verse and unmuting them during a chorus. Apparently, this concept has eluded the designers at Akai all these years. And now the recent 2.11.6 "update" is failing recording audio tracks. Flaws like these are what relegate the MPC to being a problematic "beat machine" instead of being a legit all-in-one Production Studio Akai purports it to be. Maybe one day they'll get their act together.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 am
Yeah, but this is a topic about an MPC released in 1999 and discontinued 20 years ago, so your rant about the modern MPCs isn't relevant here. If you feel the modern MPCS should have a 'load to bank' option, feel free to post it in the feature suggestion topic in the MPC X/Live forum, or send it direct to Akai via their support form.

Dick Head 123 wrote:The answer is: you can't.
Apparently the designers at Akai are not musicians who actually create music. It's only logical to want to load a set of drums to each pad bank. That's the most practical use of them. You'd think that after all these years they would have figured this out, but naw. Another fail is that tracks mute across all sequences of a project, which prevents another obvious production technique of muting tracks during a verse and unmuting them during a chorus. Apparently, this concept has eluded the designers at Akai all these years. And now the recent 2.11.6 "update" is failing recording audio tracks. Flaws like these are what relegate the MPC to being a problematic "beat machine" instead of being a legit all-in-one Production Studio Akai purports it to be. Maybe one day they'll get their act together.
By Dick Head 123 Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:33 pm
Already mad Akai aware of my concerns and I dgaf what you think of my rant. :fku:
MPC-Tutor wrote:Yeah, but this is a topic about an MPC released in 1999 and discontinued 20 years ago, so your rant about the modern MPCs isn't relevant here. If you feel the modern MPCS should have a 'load to bank' option, feel free to post it in the feature suggestion topic in the MPC X/Live forum, or send it direct to Akai via their support form.

Dickhead 123 wrote:The answer is: you can't.
By richie Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:11 am
Dick Head 123 wrote:Already mad Akai aware of my concerns and I dgaf what you think of my rant. :fku:

The sad part is that you don't realize how much of a moron you actually are.