Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Descry UK Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 pm
So I've owned my 2000xl for about 5 years now, I use it regularly with no problems at all.

I've chopped up a sample and spread it across the 16 pads as normal. As I begin to hit away I notice one sample suddenly gets twice as loud as all the rest. I'm thinking I just double hit the pad accidentally.
But after I carry on playing I notice that every 8th time I hit a pad it gets like twice as loud as the other 7 times.

This still happens if I hit the same pad 8 times or different pads, its always the 8th time that sounds louder.
I thought the program might just be playing up so I erased, switched off and loaded the individual chops back onto the pads once again. The same thing keeps happening.
It continues to happen weather they are set to FULL LEVEL or not. And changing the 'Overlap:' or any other settings in the Parameters menu makes no difference either.

I'm watching the parameters and the mixer levels, as I hit any pad for the 8th time, there is no change to any of the values on the screen but it always comes through much louder than the other 7 times I hit.

I've tried to re-set so It can't be the program settings, and It doesn't matter which pad I press on the 8th time its always louder, which makes me think it can't be the pads which are gone.

The fact that it remembers exactly how many times i've pressed a pad and is always louder exactly on the 8th time is really weird.

Maybe I need to try a Diagnostic to check every things working?? or I need to re-load the OS maybe?!

I'm completely baffled as to what this could be, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot.
By musiccankill Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm
Hello!
I have never heard of this problem till now..
Does it happen with every sample or just one sample?
If its happening with only one sample its too weird!
Do you have the 8outs installed?If yes, disconnect it (with power switched off ofc) and test again..!
I am justing thinking that its may be a cards fault as you said exactly 8 times (as the number of the expansion 8 outs card)....
I don't know if they can confict together but its something to start i think!!
By Descry UK Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:04 pm
Hi thanks for the quick response.

I don't have the 8 outs installed, I have the 16mb Ram installed and a CF card reader, but I put both of these in about 4 years ago, so its not as if I have suddenly changed anything.

I have just tried to load up a bunch of older beats, and exactly the same thing is happening. Weather I'm pressing the pads myself or I'm just hitting play on the sequencer, The 8th time that the sound is heard is always louder.

This also happens when I go into the 'Step Edit' function and start running through the sequence, always on the 8th time.

Its as if the signal is doubled in volume, But why would it consistently be the 8th time the sound is heard?!

As I said, this one has got me completely stumped! Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
By musiccankill Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 pm
Hmm...
Maybe you should try reinstalling the os but before this, turn on the mpc and sample one sound only from the inputs..!
And check to see if the same is happening again (should happen)...
If its not in the 8th time check at least till 16 times...
I don't know how voice allocation is made in the 2kxl but if it has to do with the voices it will have a similar digital architecture like an analog synth which has voice chips...
There are programmable gates inside (2 xilinx chips (XC.....)) one of them the cpu and the other the wram (maybe write ram?)as its written on them...
If the sound mixing section is in one of them then its possible that it has failed...
But first of all try the sampling and then all the checks (shift+5 thens shift+f1 and find the cpu memory test and the ram test (Should take a while for the ram test))...
And if everything on the tests goes well then reinstall the os..!
Good luck!
By Descry UK Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 pm
Great thanks for the suggestions.

I have tryed sampling one sound into the inputs and the same thing is happening. Every 8th time.

I have however noticed something else. Since I have been pulling the cables out and swapping things around. This problem is only happening when I have my two output Jack cables in both the Left and Right outputs.
When I stuck a pair of headphones in the headphone slot it sounds fine and normal as it should do.
And when I removed only one of the two balanced output Jacks the whole sound went louder (as I think it should do, because its only receiving a mono signal now, i think?!)
But this problem with the 8th note being louder than the rest did not happen, Only when both the Left and Right outputs are connected.

Very strange. But thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to check the RAM etc now and then do a Re-install of the OS.

Cheers again.
By Descry UK Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:57 pm
Okay so I just went into the diagnostic (Shift 5, then Shift F1)
I pressed 'MEMCHK' (F5) and then 'CHECK' (F2) Waited a while as you said, and the Wave memory check tests said OKAY.

I then went onto 'PADCHK' (F5) then MEMORY (F2) and Hit DO IT on the CPU memory test. This then said 'Memory Test OK'

I then hit 'Main screen' twice to come back out of that menu and got an error message 'ERROR at 0000:7A5D' - and the whole machine froze. Is this something to worry about?

I switched off and back on again and everything booted fine. Problem with the 8th Note is still there. But am I safe now to Re-Install the OS?

Oh and Im using two 1/4 Jack guitar Cables from the Left and Right outs, which go into a small mixer and then from Jack into Phono cables and into my monitors.

Weird that the problem is only through these outputs and not the headphones.

Thanks again for all your help.
By musiccankill Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 pm
Its a normal fault of the os the freeze you got...
Its ok to reinstall the os i believe..!
Do you checked keeping guitar cables and headphones connected all together in the mpc?
does the sound on the headphones be ok and on the l/r outs still be louder every 8th?
I don't think its the os either...As the headphone outs use the same DAC as the l/r outs...So there only an output signal which is amplified diffirently for the line outs and the headphone jacks...
If there is a problem inside the mpc and its not an external mixer problem it should on the analog circuit after the DAC i believe...
By DMPC Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:43 pm
the dreamer himself wrote:did you end up fixing this problem? because i have the same problem!! every 8th note changes in velocity, and only when there's stereo jacks in the outputs. is fine through mono or headphones.

and please tell me you didn't find out some bad news, and sold your mpc to me!

Did YOU end up fixing this problem??! :lol: ... I got this issue now too ! :Sigh: