Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Beatdiggerjazzcat Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 pm
I noticed a lack of info on changing the scsi fuse on the xl version of the 2000.

so here is the page for a future search

the motherboard on the xl is obviously updated to have smaller surface mount components and the fuse is definitely a lot less noticeable.

the scsi fuse is a small black rectangle shaped fuse with a solder point at each end, pcb reference "FS80" and is situated to the top right of the board below the scsi attachment.

although there is a lack of space to de-solder the fuse, it can be made easier with tweezers.

the good news is that with a generous amount of solder you can replace the fuse with the same standard N25 type (found in most pre numark akai samplers) or any of the alternatives found on the forum.

Although i dont blow fuses myself, I chose the autobreaker option as a replacement to prevent the problem ever repeating on that MPC.

hope that clears things up
Jazzcat :)
By JUKE 179r Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:25 pm
Good info. Cheers Beatdiggerjazzcat!
By MPCHunter Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 am
Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:
something tells me Akai didn't want to make this fuse easy to replace... tut tut tut.

Not really.

It's cheaper to manufacture PCBs using surface mount components rather than through hole components.

In my opinion, surface mount repair is much easier than through hole repair. You just need a little hot air to reflow.
By Beatdiggerjazzcat Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 pm
MPCHunter wrote:
Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:
something tells me Akai didn't want to make this fuse easy to replace... tut tut tut.

Not really.

It's cheaper to manufacture PCBs using surface mount components rather than through hole components.

In my opinion, surface mount repair is much easier than through hole repair. You just need a little hot air to reflow.

I was actually kinda joking!
It would be a bit odd for a company to manufacture a pcb with the principle of making it hard to repair.

I stand by my statement though... Give me a 2000 fuse replacement over the xl any day!